The author is grateful for comments on the draft manuscript by two referees and colleagues at the New South Wales Treasury. Any errors or omissions remain the author’s responsibility. In particular, the views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the New South Wales Treasury.
Affordable Housing: Concepts and Policies*
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2009
© 2009 The Economic Society of Australia
Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy
Volume 28, Issue 1, pages 27–38, March 2009
How to Cite
Abelson, P. (2009), Affordable Housing: Concepts and Policies. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 28: 27–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2009.00001.x
- Issue online: 21 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2009
- 1994), ’House Prices, Costs and Policies: An Overview’, Economic Papers, 13, 76–96. (
- 2008), Public Economics, Principles and Practice. McGraw-Hill, Sydney. (
- 2007), ‘Price and Efficiency Effects of Taxes and Subsidies for Australian Housing’, Economic Papers, 26, 147–69. and (
- 2005), ‘Explaining House Prices in Australia: 1970 to 2003’, Economic Record, 81, S1–8. , , and (
- Applied Economics and Travers Morgan (1992), The Determinants of Established House Prices. Australian Building Research Council, Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2007), Housing Occupancy and Costs, Cat. No. 4130.055.001. ABS, Canberra.
- Australian Council of Social Service and Others (2007), National Affordable Housing Summit.
- Australian Department of Families, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs (2008), Housing Affordability Fund, Consultation Paper and Housing Affordability Fund: The Guidelines (see http://www.fahcsia.gov.au).
- Australian Housing, Local Government and Planning Ministers (2006), Framework for National Action on Affordable Housing, COAG Working Paper, Canberra.
- 2006), Recent House Price Developments: The Role of Fundamentals, Economics Department Working Paper, No. 475. OECD, Paris. , , and (
- 2003), ‘The Impact of Building Restrictions on Housing Affordability’, Economic Policy Review, 9 (2), 21–39. and (
- 2008), ‘Is there a Housing Crisis? The Incidence and Persistence of Housing Stress 2001–2006’, Australian Economic Review, 41 (2), 215–21. and (
- Productivity Commission (2004), First Home Ownership, Report No. 28, Melbourne.
- UK Office of the Deputy Prime Minister (2005), Affordability Targets: Implications for Housing Supply. HMSO, London.
- 2008), ‘Australia’s Affordability Crisis’, Australian Economic Review, 41 (2), 200–14. (