Some Economics of Mining Taxation
Article first published online: 6 FEB 2011
© 2011 The Economic Society of Australia
Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy
Volume 29, Issue 4, pages 369–383, December 2010
How to Cite
Ergas, H., Harrison, M. and Pincus, J. (2010), Some Economics of Mining Taxation. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 29: 369–383. doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2010.00090.x
- Issue published online: 6 FEB 2011
- Article first published online: 6 FEB 2011
- 2010), Statement [in favour of a resource rent tax to replace royalties]. Available at: http://johnquiggin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/RSPTLetter.pdf. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and (
- 1970), ‘Uncertainty and the Evaluation of Public Investment Decisions’, American Economic Review, 60 (3), 364–78. and (
- Australian Council of Trade Unions, Australian Council of Social Service, Australian Conservation Foundation and the Consumers’ Federation of Australia (ACTU et al., 2010), ‘Australia needs a robust tax system with fair and efficient taxation of mining super profits’, The Australian, 14 June.
- 1972), ‘Risk and the Discount Rate for Public Investment’, in Jensen, M.C. (ed.), Studies in the Theory of Capital Markets. Praeger Publishers, New York; 269–93. and (
- 1987), ‘How Arbitrary is “Arbitrary’? or Toward the Deserved Demise of Full Cost Allocation’, Public Utilities Fortnightly, 3 September, 16. , and (
- Department of the Treasury (1962), Australia, 1962: An Economic Survey.
- Department of the Treasury (2010a), Ernst and Young Critique of the RSPT, 21 June. Available at: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/8143314/secret-documents-reveal-mine-tax-truth/. (The date imprint in the footer refers to “19/07/201”; however, the handwritten date on the document is 21 June 2010.)
- Department of the Treasury (2010b), Application of RSPT to Fortescue Metals Group, 23 June. Available at: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/8143314/secret-documents-reveal-mine-tax-truth/.
- Department of the Treasury (2010c), Mineral Resource Rent Tax – Market Valuation on Mining Projects, 2 July. Available at: http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/8143314/secret-documents-reveal-mine-tax-truth/.
- Department of the Treasury (2010d), Australia’s Future Tax System, 2 May. Available at: http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/Content.aspx?doc=html/pubs_reports.htm.
- 2009), ‘An Excess of Access’, Agenda: A Journal of Policy Analysis and Reform, 16 (4), 37–66. (
- 1993), A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. and (
- 2005), ‘Utility Price Regulation and Time Inconsistency: Comparisons with Monetary Policy’, Oxford Economic Papers, 57 (3), 447–78. , and (
- 2010), ‘Three of the Best Things Written about the Resource Super Profits Tax’. Available at: http://petermartin.blogspot.com/2010/05/three-of-best-things-written-about.html. (
- 2010a), ‘“Charging for Non-renewable Resource Depletion” or “Slimming the Goose: Less Foie Gras but More Golden Eggs?”’, Paper prepared for the conference: Australia’s Future Tax System: A Post-Henry Review, Sydney, 21–23 June. (
- 2010b), ‘Resource Super Tax is Not the Sum of All Fears’, Canberra Times, 24 May. (
- The Australian (2010), ‘Mining Tax “Not that Hard” to Understand – Henry’, The Australian, 22 November. Available at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/news/mining-tax-not-that-hard-to-understand-henry/story-e6frg90f-1225958471865.
- 2008), ‘Sovereign Theft: Theory and Evidence about Sovereign Default and Expropriation’, CAMA Working Papers 2008-07. and (
- 2010), ‘Denying the Temptation to GRAB’, in Hogan, W. and Sturzenegger, F. (eds), The Natural Resources Trap: Private Investment without Public Commitment. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA; 197–226. and (