An influential approach to dealing with the inflation bias was provided by Rogoff (1985) who showed that a central banker who valued inflation stability more than society as a whole could lead to improved outcomes. While he assumed the central bank was given complete independence, Lohmann (1992) showed how outcomes could be further improved if the government overrode the central bank in the face of extreme shocks. For surveys of the inflation bias problem, see Persson and Tabellini (1990), Cukierman (1992) or Walsh (2010, chapter 7). For the question of whether the Reserve Bank Act was an optimal contact, see , while central bank independence is discussed in Walsh (2008).
Central Bank Independence Revisited
Article first published online: 5 APR 2011
© 2011 The Economic Society of Australia
Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 18–22, March 2011
How to Cite
Walsh, C. E. (2011), Central Bank Independence Revisited. Economic Papers: A journal of applied economics and policy, 30: 18–22. doi: 10.1111/j.1759-3441.2011.00106.x
- Issue published online: 5 APR 2011
- Article first published online: 5 APR 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!