I have drawn from three sources for the writing of this article: my own participation in an evaluation team on the Women's Development Programme (WDP), Rajasthan, during which I met a number of sathins and other officials of the WDP and the state bureaucracy, and a paper that I wrote thereafter, ‘The Rhetoric and Substance of Empowerment’, published in John et al. (2006); and the experiences and published work of Sadhna Saxena and K. Kalpana listed below, and Sharma et al. (2007).
Beyond the Mantra of Empowerment: Time to Return to Poverty, Violence and Struggle
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2009
© 2008 Institute of Development Studies
Volume 39, Issue 6, pages 10–17, December 2008
How to Cite
Chakravarti, U. (2008), Beyond the Mantra of Empowerment: Time to Return to Poverty, Violence and Struggle. IDS Bulletin, 39: 10–17. doi: 10.1111/j.1759-5436.2008.tb00506.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2009
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!