The impact of changing dental needs on cost savings from fluoridation
Article first published online: 5 MAR 2010
© 2010 Australian Dental Association
Australian Dental Journal
Volume 55, Issue 1, pages 37–44, March 2010
How to Cite
Campain, A., Mariño, R., Wright, F., Harrison, D., Bailey, D. and Morgan, M. (2010), The impact of changing dental needs on cost savings from fluoridation. Australian Dental Journal, 55: 37–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2010.01173.x
- Issue published online: 5 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 5 MAR 2010
- (Accepted for publication 3 June 2009.)
- 1National Health and Medical Research Council. The effectiveness of water fluoridation. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service, 1991.
- 2Achievements in Public Health, 19901999: Fluoridation of drinking water to prevent dental caries. MMWR Weekly Report 1999 Oct 22;48:933–940.
- 3Methods for the economic evaluations of health care programmes. Oxford Medical Publications. 2nd edn. New York: Oxford University Press, 1997., , , et al.
- 7Costs and savings associated with community water fluoridation programs in Colorado. Prev Chronic Dis [serial online] 2005 Nov. Available from: URL: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2005/nov/05_0082.htm. Accessed 1 December 2008., , , et al.
- 8Issues in the economic evaluation of community water fluoridation. J Dent Educ 1989;3:646–647., , .
- 9Oral health and access to dental care – 1994–96 and 1999. Research Report, March 2001. AIHW Cat. No. DEN 73. Adelaide: AIHW Dental Statistics and Research Unit, 2001.
- 11Australian Bureau of Statistics. Census Data [online]. Available from URL: http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/D3310114.nsf/Home/Census+Data. Accessed 28 October 2008.
- 12National Oral Health Survey 1987–1988. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service, 1993..
- 13Australia’s dental generations. The National Survey of Adult Oral Health 2004–06. Dental Statistics and Research Series No. 34. AIHW cat. no. DEN 165. Canberra: AIHW, 2007., , .
- 17Water fluoridation in Australia. Community Dent Health 1996;13:Suppl 2: 27–37., , .
- 22Recent trends in dental caries in US children and the effect of water fluoridation. J Dent Res 1990; 69(Spec Iss):723–727., .
- 25US Department of Health and Human Services, National Center for Health Statistics. Health and nutrition examination survey I, 1971–1975: Dental [Computer file] ICSPR. 2nd edn. Ann Arbor, MI: Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research [producer and distributor], 1983.
- 26[An international socialodontologic research project. (International collaborative study of dental manpower systems)]. Tandlaegebladet 1973;77:517–521..
- 27Adult health and attitudes to dentistry – 1976. DRSU/M Res Council N Z Wellington, 1979., , , et al.
- 31Survey of the oral health status of Australian soldiers. Diploma in Dental Health [Thesis]. Brisbane: The University of Queensland, 1984..
- 32A socio-dental study of adult periodontal health: Melbourne, 1985. Department of Preventive and Community Dentistry: The University of Melbourne, 1988., , , et al.
- 33Department of Health, Housing, Local Government, and Community Services. National Oral Health Survey 1987–1988. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia, 1993.
- 37The impact of a dental health education programme on the knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of primary school children (year 6) and their parents. DHS (Victoria), 1990..
- 40A research database on dental care in Australia. Final report. AIHW DSRU: The University of Adelaide, April 1993., , , et al.
- 42Adult dental programs survey (cross-sectional) 1996. AIHW cat. no. DEN 20. AIHW DSRU: The University of Adelaide, 1997., .
- 45The Adelaide dental study of nursing homes 1998. Dental Statistics and Research Series No. 22. AIHW cat. no. DEN 83. Adelaide: AIHW DSRU, 2000., , , , .
- 46Oral health and access to dental care of young South Australian adults. Research Report. AIHW cat. no. DEN 69. Adelaide: AIHW DSRU, August 2000.
- 47A strategic impact project: improved oral health for older people – final report. DHSV Melbourne, 2001., .
- 51Dentists’ practice activity in Australia: 1983–84 to 1998–99. Dental Statistics and Research Series No. 26. AIHW cat. no. DEN 101. Canberra: AIHW, 2002., .
- 52Hourly wages of full-time and part-time employees in Australia. Aust J Labour Economics 2004;7:231–254..