Clinical considerations for increasing occlusal vertical dimension: a review
Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2012
© 2012 Australian Dental Association
Australian Dental Journal
Volume 57, Issue 1, pages 2–10, March 2012
How to Cite
Abduo, J. and Lyons, K. (2012), Clinical considerations for increasing occlusal vertical dimension: a review. Australian Dental Journal, 57: 2–10. doi: 10.1111/j.1834-7819.2011.01640.x
- Issue online: 28 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 28 FEB 2012
- (Accepted for publication 15 September 2011.)
- 1The Glossary of Prosthodontic Terms. J Prosthet Dent 2005;94:10–92.
- 2Restoration of the extremely worn dentition. J Prosthet Dent 1984;52:467–474., .
- 3Attrition: possible mechanisms of compensation. J Oral Rehabil 1976;3:201–206., .
- 4Dental attrition and craniofacial morphology in two Australian Aboriginal populations. J Dent Res 1985;64:1311–1315..
- 5Compensatory mechanisms in facial height adjustment to functional tooth attrition. Aust Dent J 1959;5:312–323..
- 6Vertical height differences in subjects with severe dental wear. Eur J Orthod 1993;15:519–525., .
- 7Rehabilitation of the worn dentition. J Oral Rehabil 2008;35:548–566., , , .
- 8Identification and management of tooth wear. Int J Prosthodont 1994;7:506–516., .
- 9Occlusion-based treatment planning for complex dental restorations: Part 1. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 2003;23:237–247..
- 10Problems associated with opening the bite which would contraindicate it as a common procedure. J Am Dent Assoc 1939;26:734–740..
- 11Dangers in reconstructing involving increase of the vertical dimension of the lower third of the human face. J Am Dent Assoc 1938;25:566–570..
- 12A 2-year follow-up of mandibular posture following an increase in occlusal vertical dimension beyond the clinical rest position with fixed restorations. J Oral Rehabil 1998;25:877–883., .
- 13Altered vertical dimension of occlusion: a comparative retrospective pilot study of tooth- and implant-supported restorations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2009;24:497–501., .
- 14A preliminary study on the effect of occlusal vertical dimension increase on mandibular postural rest position. Int J Prosthodont 1994;7:216–226., .
- 15Effect of increasing vertical dimension on the masticatory system in subjects with natural teeth. J Prosthet Dent 1979;41:284–289., , .
- 16A new paradigm for operative dentistry. Aust Dent J 2007;52:264–270; quiz 342..
- 17The prevalence, etiology and management of tooth wear in the United Kingdom. J Prosthet Dent 1997;78:367–372., , .
- 18Prevention. Part 3: prevention of tooth wear. Br Dent J 2003;195:75–81., , .
- 19Restoration of the vertical dimension of occlusion in the severely worn dentition. Dent Clin North Am 1992;36:651–664., .
- 20Reconstruction considerations for severe dental attrition. J Prosthet Dent 1980;44:384–388..
- 21Effect of chewing training on mandibular postural position. J Oral Rehabil 1989;16:503–508., , .
- 22Effect of masticatory muscle fatigue on cranio-vertical head posture and rest position of the mandible. Eur J Oral Sci 1995;103:127–132., , .
- 23Vertical dimension: a study of clinical rest position and jaw muscle activity. J Prosthet Dent 1981;45:670–675., .
- 24Tooth wear and facial morphology. J Dent 1992;20:333–341..
- 25Roentgen cephalometric analysis of ridge resorption and changes in jaw and occlusal relationships in immediate complete denture wearers. J Oral Rehabil 1980;7:77–94., , , .
- 26The effect of a partial bite raising splint on the occlusal face height. An x-ray cephalometric study in human adults. Acta Odontol Scand 1982;40:17–24., .
- 27Long-term observations of an increased occlusal face height obtained by a combined orthodontic/prosthetic approach. J Oral Rehabil 1985;12:173–176., .
- 28Clinical measurement and evaluation of vertical dimension. J Prosthet Dent 1982;47:236–241., .
- 29The fallacy of facial measurements of occlusal height in edentulous subjects. J Oral Rehabil 1976;3:353–358., , , .
- 30Relationship of occlusal vertical dimension to the health of the masticatory system. J Prosthet Dent 1991;65:547–553., .
- 31Some esthetic factors in a smile. J Prosthet Dent 1984;51:24–28., , .
- 32Tooth wear: the view of the anthropologist. Clin Oral Investig 2008;12(Suppl 1):S21–S26..
- 33Dental and skeletal relationships to attritional occlusion. Angle Orthod 1976;46:51–63..
- 34Dimensional variation of craniofacial structures in relation to changing masticatory-functional demands. Eur J Orthod 1992;14:31–36..
- 35Occlusal vertical dimension: alteration concerns. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1997;18:1169–1174, 1176-1167; quiz 1180., .
- 36The effect of increasing vertical dimension of occlusion on facial aesthetics. Br Dent J 2002;192:164–168., .
- 37The effect of increasing occlusal vertical dimension on face height. Int J Prosthodont 2002;15:353–357., , , , .
- 38Aesthetic crown lengthening. Periodontol 2000 2001;27:45–58., .
- 39Surgical periodontal therapy. Periodontol 2000 2001;25:89–99., .
- 40Epidemiology of temporomandibular disorders: implications for the investigation of etiologic factors. Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1997;8:291–305..
- 41TMD in children and adolescents: prevalence of pain, gender differences, and perceived treatment need. J Orofac Pain 1999;13:9–20., , , .
- 42A prospective investigation over two decades on signs and symptoms of temporomandibular disorders and associated variables. A final summary. Acta Odontol Scand 2005;63:99–109., , .
- 43Prevalence of tooth wear in adults. Int J Prosthodont 2009;22:35–42., , , , , .
- 44The prevalence of dental attrition and its association with factors of age, gender, occlusion, and TMJ symptomatology. J Dent Res 1988;67:1323–1333., , .
- 45Need for occlusal therapy and prosthodontic treatment in the management of temporomandibular disorders. Part II: Tooth loss and prosthodontic treatment. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:647–659., , .
- 46Pharmacologic interventions in the treatment of temporomandibular disorders, atypical facial pain, and burning mouth syndrome. A qualitative systematic review. J Orofac Pain 2003;17:301–310., , .
- 47Need for occlusal therapy and prosthodontic treatment in the management of temporomandibular disorders. Part I. Occlusal interferences and occlusal adjustment. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:367–379., , .
- 48Critical review of some dogmas in prosthodontics. J Prosthodont Res 2009;53:3–10..
- 49Oral splints: the crutches for temporomandibular disorders and bruxism? Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 1998;9:345–361., .
- 50Good occlusal practice in advanced restorative dentistry. Br Dent J 2001;191:421–424, 427-430, 433-424., , .
- 51Tooth preparations for complete crowns: an art form based on scientific principles. J Prosthet Dent 2001;85:363–376., , .
- 52New guidelines for preparation taper. J Prosthodont 1993;2:61–66., , , .
- 53Effect of crown preparation height on the retention and resistance of gold castings. Gen Dent 1990;38:200–202., , .
- 54Evaluation of resistance form for prepared teeth. J Prosthet Dent 1991;66:730–733., , , .
- 55The prosthodontic concept of crown-to-root ratio: a review of the literature. J Prosthet Dent 2005;93:559–562., .
- 56Ante’s (1926) law revisited: a systematic review on survival rates and complications of fixed dental prostheses (FDPs) on severely reduced periodontal tissue support. Clin Oral Implants Res 2007;18(Suppl 3):63–72., , , , .
- 57Adhesive restorative materials: a review. Aust Dent J 2004;49:112–121., .
- 58Clinical evaluation of resin-bonded gold alloy veneers. J Prosthet Dent 2000;83:294–300., , , .
- 59An evaluation of the performance of cast gold bonded restorations in clinical practice, a retrospective study. J Dent 2007;35:130–136., , .
- 60Long-term clinical performance and longevity of gold alloy vs ceramic partial crowns. Clin Oral Investig 2003;7:80–85., , .
- 61Long-term clinical results of chairside Cerec CAD/CAM inlays and onlays: a case series. Int J Prosthodont 2008;21:53–59., .
- 62Tooth wear treated with direct composite restorations at an increased vertical dimension: results at 30 months. J Prosthet Dent 2000;83:287–293., , .
- 63The evaluation of direct composite restorations for the worn mandibular anterior dentition – clinical performance and patient satisfaction. J Oral Rehabil 2007;34:361–376., , , , , .
- 64The survival and clinical performance of resin-based composite restorations used to treat localised anterior tooth wear. Br Dent J 2003;194:566–572., , .
- 65Occlusal changes following posterior tooth loss in adults. Part 1: a study of clinical parameters associated with the extent and type of supraeruption in unopposed posterior teeth. J Prosthodont 2007;16:485–494., , , .
- 66Occlusal wear of teeth and restorative materials. A review of classification, etiology, mechanisms of wear, and some aspects of restorative procedures. Acta Odontol Scand 1993;51:299–311., , .
- 67Occlusal stability in shortened dental arches. J Dent Res 2001;80:432–436., , , .
- 68A study on occlusal stability in shortened dental arches. Int J Prosthodont 2003;16:375–380., , , , .
- 69Predictable esthetics through functional design: the role of harmonious disclusion. J Esthet Restor Dent 2007;19:185–191..
- 70Occlusion for fixed prosthodontics: a historical perspective of the gnathological influence. J Prosthet Dent 2008;99:299–313., , .
- 71Evolution of occlusion and occlusal instruments. J Prosthodont 1993;2:33–43., .
- 72Dental occlusion: modern concepts and their application in implant prosthodontics. Odontology 2009;97:8–17..
- 73The adaptation of muscle to a new functional length. In: Anderson DJ, Mathews B, eds. Mastication. Bristol: John Wright & Sons Ltd, 1976:90–99..
- 74Effect of osseointegrated implants on the coordination of masticatory muscles: a pilot study. J Prosthet Dent 2000;84:185–193., , , .
- 75Sensory discrimination of teeth and implant-supported restorations. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2010;25:146–152., , , .
- 76Sensory responses from loading of implants: a pilot study. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants 2004;19:44–51., , , , , .
- 77Determination of occlusal vertical dimension: a literature review. J Prosthet Dent 1988;59:321–323., .
- 78Use of intra-oral jaw relation wax records in complete denture prosthesis. J Am Dent Assoc 1939;26:542–557..
- 79Dental esthetics and the golden proportion. J Prosthet Dent 1978;40:244–252..
- 80A system for assessing the severity and progression of occlusal tooth wear. J Oral Rehabil 1993;20:125–131., , , , .
- 81Reproducibility of the speech envelope and interocclusal dimensions in dentate subjects. Int J Prosthodont 1994;7:543–548..
- 82Clinical rest and closest speech positions in the determination of occlusal vertical dimension. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:714–719..
- 83Vertical dimension of the face and muscle tone. Compendium 1986;7:755, 758–759., , , .
- 84The unreliability of facial measurements in the determination of the vertical dimension of occlusion in edentulous patients. J Oral Rehabil 1990;17:287–290., , , .
- 85A critique of research of the rest position of the mandible. J Prosthet Dent 1966;16:848–854..
- 86Cephalometric estimation of vertical dimension of occlusion. J Oral Rehabil 2000;27:802–807., , .
- 87Using computerized cephalometrics to analyze the vertical dimension of occlusion. Int J Prosthodont 1993;6:371–376., , , .
- 88Reproducibility of electromyographic measures: a statistical analysis. J Oral Rehabil 1991;18:513–521., , , .
- 89Reliability, validity, and utility of various occlusal measurement methods and techniques. J Prosthet Dent 2000;83:83–89., , .
- 90Reproducibility of mandibular motion and muscle activity levels using a commercial computer recording system. J Prosthet Dent 1992;68:348–354., , .
- 91The kinesiographic measurement of jaw displacement. J Prosthet Dent 1980;44:88–93., , , .