Emerging Antimicrobial Resistance in Commensal Escherichia coli with Public Health Relevance
Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Verlag GmbH
Zoonoses and Public Health
Special Issue: Proceedings of the International Conference on Emerging Zoonoses, 24–27 February 2011, Cancun,Mexico
Volume 59, Issue Supplement s2, pages 158–165, September 2012
How to Cite
Kaesbohrer, A., Schroeter, A., Tenhagen, B.-A., Alt, K., Guerra, B. and Appel, B. (2012), Emerging Antimicrobial Resistance in Commensal Escherichia coli with Public Health Relevance. Zoonoses and Public Health, 59: 158–165. doi: 10.1111/j.1863-2378.2011.01451.x
- Issue published online: 7 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 7 SEP 2012
- Received for publication 10 November 2011
- 1999: Association between the consumption of antimicrobial agents in animal husbandry and the occurrence of resistant bacteria among food animals. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 12, 279–285. ,
- 2007: Antimicrobial susceptibility testing Clinical break points and epidemiological cut-off values. Newsletter CRL-AR – No 2, November 2007. Available at: http://www.crl-ar.eu/_pdf/newsletters/11%2007%20Newsletter%20No%20%202.pdf. , , and ,
- 2005: Correlation between the usage volume of veterinary therapeutic antimicrobials and resistance in Escherichia coli isolated from the faeces of food-producing animals in Japan. Jpn. J. Infect. Dis 58(6), 369–72. , , , , ,
- 2010a: Escherichia coli producing CTX-M-1, -2, and -9 group beta-lactamases in organic chicken egg production. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 54, 3527–3528. , , , , and ,
- Codex Alimentarius, 2011: Guidelines for risk analysis of foodborne antimicrobial resistance (CAC/GL 77- 2011).
- Committee for Medicinal products for Veterinary Use (CVMP), 2011: CVMP strategy on antimicrobials 2011–2015. EMA/CVMP/287420/2010, 6 January 2011.
- 2003: Reevaluating fluoroquinolone breakpoints for Salmonella enterica serotype Typhi and for non-typhi salmonellae. Clin. Infect. Dis. 37, 75–81. , , and ,
- 2009: A pan-European survey of antimicrobial susceptibility towards human-use antimicrobial drugs among zoonotic and commensal enteric bacteria isolated from healthy food-producing animals. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 63, 733–744. , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2010: Ceftiofur resistance in Salmonella enterica serovar Heidelberg from chicken meat and humans, Canada. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 16, 48–54. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- EARSS Annual Report, 2008: On-going surveillance of S. pneumoniae, S. aureus, E. coli, E. faecium, E. faecalis, K. pneumoniae, P. aeruginosa. Available at: http://ecdc.europa.eu/en/activities/surveillance/EARS-Net/Documents/2008_EARSS_Annual_Report.pdf.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC), 2010: Antimicrobial resistance surveillance in Europe 2009. Annual Report of the European Antimicrobial Resistance Surveillance Network (EARS-Net). Stockholm. Available at: http://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications/Publications/1011_SUR_annual_EARS_Net_2009.pdf.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2007: The Community Summary Report on Trends and Sources of Zoonoses, Zoonotic Agents, Antimicrobial resistance and Foodborne outbreaks in the European Union in 2006. EFSA J. 130, 1–352.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2008a: European Food Safety Authority – Working Group on Developing Harmonised Schemes for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance in Zoonotic Agents. Harmonised monitoring of antimicrobial resistance in Salmonella and Campylobacter isolates from food animals in the European Union. Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 14, 522–533.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2008b: Report from the Task Force on Zoonoses Data Collection including guidance for harmonized monitoring and reporting of antimicrobial resistance in commensal Escherichia coli and Enterococcus spp. from food animals. EFSA J. 141, 1–44.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2008c: Scientific Opinion of the Panel on Biological Hazards on a request from the European Food Safety Authority on foodborne antimicrobial resistance as a biological hazard. EFSA J. 765, 1–87.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2009: Joint opinion on antimicrobial resistance (AMR) focused on zoonotic infections. EFSA J. 7, 1372.
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), 2011: European Union summary report on antimicrobial resistance in zoonotic and indicator bacteria from animals and food in the European Union in 2009. EFSA J. 9, 1–323.
- FAO/WHO/OIE, 2008: Joint FAO/OIE/WHO expert meeting on critically important antimicrobials. Report of a meeting held in FAO, Rome, Italy, November 2007, Geneva, Switzerland. Available at: http://www.who.int/foodborne_disease/resources/Report_CIA_Meeting.pdf.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA), 2001: The Human Health Impact of Fluoroquinolone Resistant Campylobacter Attributed to the Consumption of Chicken. Silverspring, MD. Available at: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealthRecallswithdrawals/ucmo42019.htm.
- 2003: Phenotypic and genotypic characterization of antimicrobial resistance in German Escherichia coli isolates from cattle, swine and poultry. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 52, 489–492. , , , , , and ,
- 2010: Role of antimicrobial selective pressure and secondary factors on antimicrobial resistance prevalence in Escherichia coli from food-producing animals in Japan. J. Biomed. Biotechnol. 2010, 180682. , and ,
- 2004: Quinolone resistance is associated with increased risk of invasive illness or death during infection with Salmonella serotype typhimurium. J. Infect. Dis. 190, 1652–1654. , , and ,
- 2006: Monitoring of antimicrobial resistance on the basis of the EU Zoonoses Directive. Int. J. Med. Microbiol. 296(Suppl 41), 39–43. , and ,
- 2009: Monitoring of antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic usage in animals in the Netherlands in 2009. Available at: http://www.maran.wur.nl. ,
- 2011: Monitoring of antibiotic consumption in livestock: a German feasibility study. Prev. Vet. Med. doi: 10.1016/j.prevetmed.2011.10.013. (in press). , , , , , , , and ,
- 2009: Extended-spectrum (beta)-lactamases and AmpC (beta)-lactamases in ceftiofur-resistant Salmonella enterica isolates from food and livestock obtained in Germany during 2003–07. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 64, 301–309. , , , , , , and ,
- Schroeter, A., and A. Kaesbohrer, (eds), 2011: German antimicrobial resistance situation in the food chain – DARLink. BfR Wissenschaft 03/2011. Available at: http://www.bfr.bund.de/cm/350/german_antimicrobial_resistance_situation_in_the_food_chain_darlink.pdf.