Get access

Source of transmission in children with chronic hepatitis B infection after the implementation of a strategy for prevention in those at high risk

Authors


Dr Haruki Komatsu, Yokohama Eastern Hospital, Children's Center for Health and Development, 3-6-1 Simosueyoshi Tsurumi, Yokohama, Kanagawa, 230-0012, Japan. Email: haruki-komatsu@chive.ocn.ne.jp

Abstract

Aim:  In order to clarify the sources of chronic HBV (hepatitis B virus) infection in children after the implementation of an “at-risk” strategy in Japan, chronically infected children were assessed. In addition, chronically infected children born to HBsAg-negative mothers and their family members were assessed to identify the sources of HBV transmission.

Methods:  Fifty-seven children who tested HBsAg-positive after the initiation of a mother-to-child transmission prevention program were enrolled in this study. The full-genome HBV DNA sequence was analyzed to confirm the transmission sources.

Results:  Of the 57 patients, 37 (65%) were born to HBV carrier mothers. The remaining 20 (35%) patients were born to HBsAg-negative mothers. Fourteen of these patients had HBV carrier fathers, and 2 patients, who were siblings, did not have an HBV carrier father. The remaining 4 patients had no family members with HBV infection. Phylogenetic tree analysis confirmed that father-to-child transmission and sibling-to-sibling transmission occurred in 3 families and 1 family, respectively.

Conclusion:  Although vaccine failure of mother-to-child transmission was the major cause of chronic HBV infection in children, father-to-child transmission was the second most common mode of transmission. In addition, sibling-to-sibling transmission was found. Unless at-risk individuals and groups can be accurately identified to prevent horizontal transmission, the introduction of universal vaccination is essential for achieving the elimination of HBV infection in Japan.

Get access to the full text of this article

Ancillary