Accepted by Peter Pope. An earlier version of this paper was presented at the 2008 Contemporary Accounting Research Conference, generously supported by the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. We thank Sudipta Basu, Robert Bushman (the discussant), John Core, Fred Lindahl, Frank Moers, Peter Pope (the associate editor), Annelies Renders, Franco Wong, seminar participants at Maastricht University, University of Pennsylvania (Wharton), VU University Amsterdam, the 2007 AAA Financial Accounting and Reporting Section Midyear Meeting in San Antonio, and the 2008 Contemporary Accounting Research Conference and two anonymous referees for their comments and suggestions. This paper was previously circulated and presented under the title “Accounting Conservatism in the European Union: The Influence of Incentives and Institutions”. We thank Laurent Coppens for his work on earlier versions. Part of this paper was completed while Erik Peek was visiting the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.
Creditors’ and Shareholders’ Reporting Demands in Public Versus Private Firms: Evidence from Europe*
Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2010
© 2010 Canadian Academic Accounting Association
Contemporary Accounting Research
Volume 27, Issue 1, pages 49–91, March 2010
How to Cite
PEEK, E., CUIJPERS, R. and BUIJINK, W. (2010), Creditors’ and Shareholders’ Reporting Demands in Public Versus Private Firms: Evidence from Europe. Contemporary Accounting Research, 27: 49–91. doi: 10.1111/j.1911-3846.2010.01001.x
- Issue online: 13 MAY 2010
- Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!