Accepted by Michael Welker. We are grateful to Hollis Ashbaugh-Skaife, Wayne Landsman, Christian Leuz, Richard Macve, Theodore Sougiannis, and Martin Walker. as well as seminar participants at the 3rd MAFG/LSE/MBS Conference: The Challenges of Global Financial Reporting, at The London School of Economics for many helpful comments.
Does Mandatory IFRS Adoption Improve the Information Environment?*
Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Canadian Academic Accounting Association
Contemporary Accounting Research
Volume 30, Issue 1, pages 388–423, Spring 2013 (March)
How to Cite
Horton, J., Serafeim, G. and Serafeim, I. (2013), Does Mandatory IFRS Adoption Improve the Information Environment?. Contemporary Accounting Research, 30: 388–423. doi: 10.1111/j.1911-3846.2012.01159.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 5 JUL 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 3 FEB 2012 12:18PM EST
- 2003. Biased forecasts or biased earnings? The role of reported earnings in explaining apparent bias and over-/underreaction in analysts’ earnings forecasts. Journal of Accounting and Economics36 (1–3): 105–46. , and .
- 2010. Does mandatory adoption of IFRS improve accounting quality? Preliminary evidence. Working paper, available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1502909, retrieved July 26, 2011. , , and .
- 2010. Market reaction to events surrounding the adoption of IFRS in Europe. The Accounting Review85 (1): 31–61. , , , and .
- 2001. Domestic accounting standards, international accounting standards, and the predictability of earnings. Journal of Accounting Research39 (3): 417–34. , and .
- 2011. Do earnings reported under IFRS tell us more about future earnings and cash flows?Journal of Accounting and Public Policy30 (1): 103–21. , , , and .
- 2008. International GAAP differences: The impact on foreign analysts. The Accounting Review83 (3): 593–628. , , and .
- 2006. International Financial Accounting Standards (IFRS): Pros and cons for investors. Accounting and Business Research (Special Issue): 5–27. .
- 2000. The effect of international institutional factors of properties of accounting earnings. Journal of Accounting and Economics29 (1): 1–51. , , and .
- 2003. Incentives versus standards: Properties of accounting income in four East Asian countries and implications for the acceptance of IAS. Journal of Accounting and Economics36 (1–3): 235–70. , , and .
- 1996. Accrual usage to manage earnings toward financial analysts’ forecasts. Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting7 (3): 259–78. , and .
- 2002. Changes in analysts’ information around earnings announcements. The Accounting Review77 (4): 821–46. , , and .
- 1998. Using analysts’ forecasts to measure properties of analysts’ information environment. The Accounting Review73 (4): 421–33. , , , and .
- 2008. International accounting standards and accounting quality. Journal of Accounting Research46 (3): 467–98. , , and .
- 2010. The effect of IFRS adoption on cross-border investment in equity and debt markets. Working paper, Indiana University. , , and .
- 2010. Mandatory adoption of IFRS and analysts’ forecasts information properties. Working paper, available at http://www.feb.ugent.be/nl/ondz/Activ/Kijker/BKJV_Analyst_21Oct2009_CB.pdf, retrieved July 26, 2011. , , and .
- 2007. How the IFRS movement will affect financial reporting in the U.S. New York: KPMG. , , and .
- 1997. Disclosure level and the cost of equity capital. The Accounting Review72 (3): 323–49. .
- 2004. Accounting choice, home bias, and U.S. investment in non-U.S. firms. Journal of Accounting Research42 (5): 795–841. , , and .
- 2007. Will harmonizing accounting standards really harmonize accounting? Evidence from non-U.S. firms adopting U.S. GAAP. Working paper, Harvard Business School. , and .
- 2010. Accounting method heterogeneity and analysts’ forecasts. Working paper, Harvard Business School. , , and .
- 2011. Mandatory IFRS adoption and financial statement comparability. Working paper, Harvard Business School. , , and .
- 2011. The effect of mandated IFRS adoption on analysts’ forecast errors. Journal of Accounting Research49 (1): 69–96. , , and .
- 2010. Mandatory IFRS adoption and accounting comparability. Working paper, available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1402206, retrieved July 26, 2011. , and .
- 2010. The role of international financial reporting standards in accounting quality: Evidence from the European Union. Journal of International Financial Management & Accounting21 (3): 220–78. , , , and .
- 2005. International accounting, 5th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall. , and .
- 2008. Incentives or standards: What determines accounting quality changes around IFRS adoption? Working paper, Manchester Business School. , , and .
- 2009. Do IFRS reconciliations convey information? The effect of debt contracting. Journal of Accounting Research47 (5): 1167–99. , , and .
- 1999. Analysts forecast accuracy: Do ability, resources and portfolio complexity matter?Journal of Accounting and Economics27 (3): 285–303. .
- 1984. Market failure and the economic case for a mandatory disclosure system. Virginia Law Review70 (4): 717–53. .
- 2012. IFRS adoption and analysts’ earnings forecasts: Australian evidence. Accounting and Finance52 (2): 395–419. ., , and .
- 2007. Home bias, foreign mutual fund holdings, and the voluntary adoption of International Accounting Standards. Journal of Accounting Research45 (1): 41–70. , , and .
- 2006. Economic benefits of adopting IFRS or U.S. GAAP: Has the expected cost of equity capital really decreased?. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting33 (3–4): 329–73. .
- 2008. Mandatory IFRS reporting around the world: Early evidence on the economic consequences. Journal of Accounting Research46 (5): 1085–142. , , , and .
- 2011. The impact of mandatory IFRS adoption on foreign mutual fund ownership: The role of comparability. Journal of Accounting and Economics51 (3): 240–58. , , , and .
- 2003. An empirical analysis of analysts’ cash flows. Journal of Accounting and Economics35 (1): 73–90. , and .
- 1999. Earnings management to exceed thresholds. The Journal of Business72 (1): 1–34. , , and .
- 2002. International diversification and analysts’ forecast accuracy and bias. The Accounting Review77 (2): 415–33. , and .
- 1986. Proprietary and nonproprietary disclosures. The Journal of Business59 (2): 331–66.
- 1990. Mandatory versus voluntary disclosures: The cases of financial and real externalities. The Accounting Review65 (1): 1–24.
- 2008. Analysts’ forecast accuracy in Germany: The effect of different accounting principles and changes of accounting principles. Business Research1 (1): 26–53. , , and .
- 1996. Multifactor explanations of asset pricing anomalies. Journal of Finance51 (1): 55–84. , and .
- 1980. Externalities and financial reporting. The Journal of Finance35 (2): 521–33. .
- 2001. Toward an implied cost of capital. Journal of Accounting Research39 (1): 135–76. , , and .
- 2011. Introduction of International Accounting Standards, disclosure quality and accuracy of analysts’ earnings forecasts. European Accounting Review20 (4): 1–38. , , , and .
- 2008. The contagion effect of accounting restatements. The Accounting Review83 (1): 83–110. , , and .
- 2006. Does similarity of local GAAP to U.S. GAAP explain analysts’ forecasts accuracy. Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics2 (2): 190–207. , , and .
- 2006. International differences in the cost of equity capital: Do legal institutions and securities regulation matter?Journal of Accounting Research44 (3): 485–531. , and .
- 1985. The effect of bonus schemes on accounting decisions. Journal of Accounting and Economics7 (1–3): 85–107. .
- 1999. Stock performance and intermediation changes surrounding sustained increases in disclosure. Contemporary Accounting Research16 (3): 485–520. , , and .
- 2008. Compliance with IFRS disclosure requirements and individual analysts’ forecast errors. Journal of International Accounting, Auditing and Taxation17 (1): 1–13. , , , and .
- 2003. Disclosure practices, enforcement of accounting standards and analysts’ forecast accuracy: An international study. Journal of Accounting Research41 (2): 235–72. .
- 2010. Market reaction to and valuation of IFRS reconciliation adjustments: First evidence from the UK. Review of Accounting Studies15 (4): 725–51. , and .
- 2005. Determinants of managerial earnings guidance prior to regulation fair disclosure and bias in analysts’ earnings forecasts. Contemporary Accounting Research22 (4): 867–914.
- 2008. Do accounting standards matter? An exploratory analysis of earnings management before and after IFRS adoption. Journal of Accounting and Public Policy27 (6): 480–94. , and .
- 2010. Mandatory IFRS adoption and intra-industry information transfers. Working paper, Santa Clara University. , and .
- 2010. International differences in IFRS policy choice. Accounting and Business Research40 (2): 173–87. , and .
- 2007. Accounting information, disclosure, and the cost of capital. Journal of Accounting Research45 (2): 385–420. , , and .
- 2012. The information content of annual earnings announcements and mandatory adoption of IFRS. Journal of Accounting and Economics53 (1–2): 34–54. , , and .
- 2003. ADRs, analysts, and accuracy: Does cross listing in the U.S. improve a firm’s information environment and increase market value?Journal of Accounting Research41 (2): 317–45. , , and .
- 1996. Corporate disclosure policy and analyst behavior. The Accounting Review71 (4): 467–92. , and .
- 2010. Earnings co-movement and accounting comparability: The effects of mandatory IFRS adoption. Working paper, University of North Carolina. , , and .
- 2006. Earnings management and cross listing: Are reconciled earnings comparable to U.S. earnings?Journal of Accounting and Economics42 (1–2): 255–83. , , and .
- 2003. IAS versus U.S. GAAP: Information-asymmetry based evidence from Germany’s new market. Journal of Accounting Research41 (3): 445–72. .
- 2000. The economic consequences of increased disclosure. Journal of Accounting Research38 (Supplement): 91–124. , and .
- 2008. Economic consequences of financial reporting and disclosure regulation: A review and suggestions for future research. Working paper, University of Chicago. , and .
- 2002. Management’s incentives to avoid negative earnings surprises. The Accounting Review77 (3): 483–514.
- 2010. The effect of cash flow forecasts on accruals quality and benchmark beating. Journal of Accounting and Economics51 (3): 219–39. , and .
- 2008. Fair value accounting for goodwill under IFRS: An exploratory study of the comparability in France, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Working paper, available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1275803, retrieved July 26, 2011. .
- 2007. The development of accounting quality of IAS and IFRS over time: The case of Germany. Working paper, available at http://ssrn.com/abstract=1066604, retrieved July 26, 2011. , and .
- 2009. Mandatory IFRS and properties of analysts’ forecasts: How much does enforcement matter? Working paper, University of Western Australia. , , and .
- 2007. Deloitte and Touche World meeting, Berlin, Germany. Retrieved June 10, 2012, from http://www.iasplus.com/en/binary/resource/0706quigley.pdf. .
- 2002. Investors and analysts reactions to earnings announcements of related firms: An empirical analysis. Journal of Accounting Research40 (5): 1351–76. .
- 2005. The introduction of International Accounting Standards in Europe: Implications for international convergence. European Accounting Review14 (1): 101–26. .
- 2007. IFRS adoption and accounting quality: A review. European Accounting Review16 (4): 675–702. , and .
- 2011. Analyst following and forecast accuracy after mandated IFRS adoptions. Journal of Accounting Research49 (5): 1307–57. , , and .
- 2008. The effects of mandatory adoption of International Financial Reporting Standards on information environments. Paper presented at the American Accounting Association meeting, Chicago, IL. , , and .
- 1995. Disclosure policy, information asymmetry, and liquidity in equity markets. Contemporary Accounting Research11 (2): 801–27. .
- 2010. Accounting standards and international portfolio holdings: Analysis of cross-border holdings following mandatory adoption of IFRS. Working paper, available at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1430589, retrieved July 26, 2011.