Dr. Simmons is a professor of geography at the University of Durham, Durham, England DHI 3LE.
“TO CIVILITY AND TO MAN'S USE”: HISTORY, CULTURE, AND NATURE*
Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
1998 American Geographical Society
Volume 88, Issue 1, pages 114–126, January 1998
How to Cite
SIMMONS, I. G. (1998), “TO CIVILITY AND TO MAN'S USE”: HISTORY, CULTURE, AND NATURE. Geographical Review, 88: 114–126. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.1998.tb00098.x
An earlier version of this essay was delivered as the Carl O. Sauer Memorial Lecture at the University of California, Berkeley, on 2 April 1998. Transformation of my lecture notes to a written text meant losing most of the discursive material—including references to individuals such as Carl Sauer and James Parsons—my occasional attempts at humor, and some of the illustrative matter.
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!