Dr. Dow is an assistant professor of geography at the University of South Carolina, Columbia, South Carolina 29208.
THE EXTRAORDINARY AND THE EVERYDAY IN EXPLANATIONS OF VULNERABILITY TO AN OIL SPILL
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
1999 American Geographical Society
Volume 89, Issue 1, pages 74–93, January 1999
How to Cite
DOW, K. (1999), THE EXTRAORDINARY AND THE EVERYDAY IN EXPLANATIONS OF VULNERABILITY TO AN OIL SPILL. Geographical Review, 89: 74–93. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.1999.tb00202.x
- Issue online: 21 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
- 1996. Approaches to Vulnerability to Climate Change. Norwich, England: Centre for Social and Economic Research on the Global Environment.
- Asian Development Bank. 1972. Southeast Asian Regional Transportation Survey. Vol. 1. Makati, Philippines: Asian Development Bank.
- 1988. Environmental Crises in Developing Countries: How Much, for Whom and by Whom? An Introduction and Overview. In Environmental Crises in Developing Countries, edited by P.Blaikie and T.Unwin, 3–28. London: Developing Areas Research Group, Institute of British Geographers.
- 1994. At Risk: Natural Hazards, People's Vulnerability, and Disasters. London: Routledge. , , , and .
- 1995. “What You Don't Know Can't Hurt You”: The Right to Know and the Shetland Island Oil Spill. Human Ecology 23 (2): 241–257.
- 1988. Transportation in the Strait of Malacca and Potential Marine Pollution. In Coastal Zone Management in the Strait of Malacca, edited by P. R.Burbridge, Koesoebino, H.Dirschl, and B.Patton, 165–178. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Dalhousie University, School for Resource and Environmental Studies.
- 1996. Vulnerability to Environmental Hazards. Progress in Human Geography 20 (1): 529–539.
- 1992. Exploring Differences in Our Common Future(s): The Meaning of Vulnerability to Global Environmental Change. Geoforum 23 (3): 417–436.
- 1996. Vulnerability Transitions along the Strait of Malacca. Ph.D. diss., Clark University.
- 1986. Human Systems Response to Disasters. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- 1975. Malay Fishermen: Their Peasant Economy. 2d (rev. and enl.) ed. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Fisherman's Association, Langkawi District. 1992. Lapuran Tumpahan Minyak Bagi Perkampungan Neyalan Daerah Langkawi (Report on the Oil Spill for the Fishing Community, Langkawi District). Kuah, Malaysia: Fisherman's Association, Langkawi District.
- 1984. The Constitution of Society: Outline of the Theory of Structuration. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1990. The Consequences of Modernity. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press.
- 1992. “We Were Always Re-organizing…”: Some Crisis Management Implications of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. Industrial Crisis Quarterly 6 (3): 197–217. , , and .
- 1983. The Idea of Calamity in a Technocratic Age. In Interpretations of Calamity from the Viewpoint of Human Ecology, edited by K.Hewitt, 3–32. Boston: Allen and Unwin.
- IMO [International Maritime Organization]. 1988. Manual on Oil Pollution. Section 4, Combatting Oil Spills. London: International Maritime Organization.
- 1988. A Socio-Economic Study of Fisheries Management and Conservation with Particular Reference to Two Artisanal Fishing Villages in Penang, Peninsular Malaysia. CENU International Publication Series, 1. Tokyo: Nihon University, College of Economics. , and .
- 1982. Malaysia: Valuable and Vulnerable Resources. In Shipping, Energy, and Environment: Southeast Asian Perspectives for the Eighties, edited by M. J.Valencia, E.Gold, L. S.Chia, and N. G.Letalik, 141–175. Halifax, Nova Scotia: Dalhousie University, Dalhousie Ocean Studies Programme.
- 1995. Critical Environmental Regions: Concepts, Distinctions, and Issues. In Regions at Risk: Comparisons of Threatened Environments, edited by J. X.Kasperson, R. E.Kasperson and B. L.TurnerII, 1–41. Tokyo: United Nations University Press. , , , , and .
- 1985. Shipping. In Marine Policy in Southeast Asia, edited by G.Kent and M. J.Valencia, 188–229. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 1993. Can Human Ecology Provide an Integrative Framework? The Contribution of Structuration Theory to Contemporary Debate. In Human Ecology: Fragments of Anti-Fragmentary Views of the World, edited by D.Steiner and M.Nauser, 213–228. London: Routledge.
- LDC [Langkawi District Council]. 1992. Langkawi Structure Plan 1990–2005. [Malaysian.] Government Gazette No. 1, notice No. 8, vol. 35, 9 January. Kuah, Malaysia: Langkawi District Council.
- 1978. Malacca, Singapore, and Indonesia. International Straits of the World Series. Alphen aan den Rijn, Netherlands: Sijthoff and Noordhoff.
- 1990. Vulnerability to Global Environmental Change. In Understanding Global Environmental Change: The Contributions of Risk Analysis and Management, edited by R. E.Kasperson, K.Dow, D.Golding, and J. X.Kasperson, 27–44. Worcester, Mass.: Clark University, Earth Transformed Program.
- Malaysian Fisheries Division, Planning and Research Section. 1992. Kajian Impak Sosio-Ekonomi Kaum Nelayan dan Peternak Akibat Tumphan Minyak Kapal “Nagasaki Spirit” (Study of Social-Economic Impacts on Fishing Communities and the Consequences of the “Nagasaki Spirit” Oil Spill). Kuala Lumpur: Malaysian Fisheries Division.
- Marine Department, Peninsular Malaysia. 1993a. Unpublished data on vessels passing One Fathom Bank Lighthouse. Kuala Lumpur.
- Marine Department, Peninsular Malaysia. 1993b. Unpublished data on shipping incidents in the Strait of Malacca. Kuala Lumpur.
- MDOE [Malaysian Department of Environment]. 1992. Langkawi Island: Area of the Oil Spill from the “Nagasaki Spirit,” 5–6 October 1992. Kuala Lumpur. Unpublished map.
- 1979. Pollution, Politics, and International Law: Tankers at Sea. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- 1985. The Marine Geography of Southeast Asia. In Marine Policy in Southeast Asia, edited by G.Kent and M. J.Valencia, 9–32. 383–384. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and .
- 1993. Interview with the author. Kuah, Malaysia, July.
- 1993. Environmental Concern and the Theory of Structuration: Steps Towards a Better Understanding of Environmentally Harmful Agency. In Human Ecology: Fragments of Anti-Fragmentary Views of the World, edited by D.Steiner and M.Nauser, 229–248. London: Routledge.
- NRC [National Research Council]. 1987. Confronting Natural Disasters: An International Decade for Natural Hazard Reduction. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- NRC [National Research Council]. 1991. Tanker Spills: Prevention by Design. Washington, D.C.: National Academy Press.
- 1987. The Meaning of Crisis: A Theoretical Introduction. Oxford and New York: Basil Blackwell.
- 1992. Public Wisdom, Expert Fallibility: Toward a Contextual Theory of Risk. In Social Theories of Risk, edited by S.Krimsky and D.Golding, 215–228. Westport, Conn.: Praeger.
- 1984. Normal Accidents: Living with High-Risk Technologies. New York: Basic Books.
- 1991. Disaster Assistance and Socioeconomic Recovery at the Individual and Household Level: Some Observations. Newark: University of Delaware, Disaster Research Center.
- 1997. Shipping and International Trade in the Asian Region: An International View. In The Straits of Malacca, edited by H.Ahmad, 263–281. Petaling Jaya, Malaysia: Pelanduk Press.
- 1995. The Ukambani Region of Kenya. In Regions at Risk: Comparisons of Threatened Environments, edited by J. X.Kasperson, R. E.Kasperson and B. L.TurnerII, 186–254. Tokyo: United Nations University Press. , , and .
- 1992. Community Impacts Resulting from the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill. Industrial Crisis Quarterly 6 (3): 219–234. , , , and .
- Steiner, D., and M.Nauser, eds. 1993. Human Ecology: Fragments of Anti-Fragmentary Views of the World. London: Routledge.
- 1983. Global Disasters: A Radical Interpretation. In Interpretations of Calamity from the Viewpoint of Human Ecology, edited by K.Hewitt, 263–283. Boston: Allen and Unwin. , , and .
- 1981. Vulnerability, Resilience, and the Collapse of Society. Toronto: University of Toronto, Institute for Environmental Studies.
- 1985. Environmental Management of the Malacca/Singapore Straits: Legal and Institutional Issues. Natural Resources Journal 25 (1): 195–232. , and .
- 1992. Handbook on Ocean Law and Politics. New York: Greenwood Press.
- 1990. Facing Power: Old Insights, New Questions. American Anthropologist 92 (3): 586–596.