Dr. Eley is an associate professor of geomatics at the University of Alaska Anchorage, Anchorage, Alaska 99508–8054.
SERGEANT WILLIAM YANERT, CARTOGRAPHER FROM HELL*
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
2002 American Geographical Society
Volume 92, Issue 4, pages 582–596, October 2002
How to Cite
ELEY, T. (2002), SERGEANT WILLIAM YANERT, CARTOGRAPHER FROM HELL. Geographical Review, 92: 582–596. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2002.tb00014.x
I would be remiss not to acknowledge the late James J. Parsons, quintessential advocate of geography as an approach to historical and archival research, and Roger Pearson and David Hooson, who understand the importance of Alaska and the North. Caroline Atuk-Derrick and the staff of the Alaska and Polar Archives of the University of Alaska Fairbanks, Rasmussen Library, graciously provided me with much-appreciated assistance and access to the Yanert papers. Gail L. Hollinger, curator of the Wells Fargo Heritage Library and Museum in Anchorage, allowed me to review material on Sgt. Yanert in her museum's collection, including a remarkable exhibit, “William ‘Bill’ Yanert-the Sage of Purgatory.” Cherie Northon is both a source of encouragement and inspiration and a geographical partner.
- Issue online: 21 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!