Dr. Beach is an associate professor of geography at the School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University, Washington, D.C. 20057.
UPLAND AGRICULTURE IN THE MAYA LOWLANDS: ANCIENT MAYA SOIL CONSERVATION IN NORTHWESTERN BELIZE*
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
2002 American Geographical Society
Volume 92, Issue 3, pages 372–397, July 2002
How to Cite
BEACH, T., LUZZADDER-BEACH, S., DUNNING, N., HAGEMAN, J. and LOHSE, J. (2002), UPLAND AGRICULTURE IN THE MAYA LOWLANDS: ANCIENT MAYA SOIL CONSERVATION IN NORTHWESTERN BELIZE. Geographical Review, 92: 372–397. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2002.tb00149.x
We conducted most of this research as part of the Programme for Belize Archaeological Project, in cooperation with the Ministry of Tourism and the Environment and the Programme for Belize. We wish to acknowledge the support of the National Science Foundation (granted to Vernon Scarborough and Nicholas Dunning), the Heinz Family Foundation, Georgetown University, George Mason University, and the University of Cincinnati. Timothy Beach and Nicholas Dunning also conducted research in 1996 as part of Boston University's La Milpa Project. Among the many people who helped us in our work are Kerry Sagebiel (for ceramic identification), Julie Kunen, Claudia Paxton-O'Neal, George Vrtis, Jeff Hom, Abby Sarmac, Meg Jones, Sheila Gulati, Josh Bacchus, Paul Hughbanks, and Skye Wagner. We also thank Norman Hammond, Gair Tourtellot, William Doolittle, and the anonymous reviewers for their important editorial comments.
- Issue online: 21 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!