DR. MURPHY is a professor of geography and holds the James F. and Shirley K. Rippey Chair in Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon 97403-1251.
CHAUNCY D. HARRIS (1914–2003), GEOGRAPHER EXTRAORDINAIRE*
Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
2004 American Geographical Society
Volume 94, Issue 1, pages 107–114, January 2004
How to Cite
MURPHY, A. B. (2004), CHAUNCY D. HARRIS (1914–2003), GEOGRAPHER EXTRAORDINAIRE. Geographical Review, 94: 107–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2004.tb00160.x
Several accounts of Harris' life and career contributions were of help in preparing this note. I benefited particularly from a memorial written by Harris' long-time colleague, Marvin Mikesell, for the Annals of the Association of American Geographers (Mikesell 2004); a note on Harris' influence on Eurasian Geography and Economics and its predecessor publications by one of that journal' contributing editors (Bond 2004); a discussion of Harris' influence on urban geography by a former colleague (Berry 2004); and the opening chapter of a Festschrift published in Harris' honor (Rogers 1984). Parts of the ensuing sections on “Harris as Scholar” and “Harris as Disciplinary and Institutional Citizen” were based on a short memorial essay I wrote for Ubique, the newsletter of the American Geographical Society (Murphy 2004).
- Issue online: 21 APR 2010
- Version of Record online: 21 APR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!