Dr. Lovell is a professor of geography at Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada K71.3N6.
GEOGRAPHICAL RECORD. A MAP OF THE WORLD*
Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
2008 American Geographical Society
Volume 98, Issue 1, pages 103–122, January 2008
How to Cite
LOVELL, W. G. (2008), GEOGRAPHICAL RECORD. A MAP OF THE WORLD. Geographical Review, 98: 103–122. doi: 10.1111/j.1931-0846.2008.tb00290.x
The trip recounted in this “traveler's tale” took place between 21 January and 13 February 2006. For her solicitation of my services as ambassador as well as lecturer on behalf of the American Geographical Society, I thank our Executive Director, Mary Lynne Bird. AGS President Jerome E. Dobson heard about my writing up the experience through William Woods and encouraged me to pursue publication in the Geographical Review. The evaluation process called for me to rethink key issues and how to deal with them narratively, for which I thank all concerned. For her transformation of the manuscript from handwritten scrawl to digital text, I am indebted to Kari Pries. Maureen McCallum Garvie looked at what I had to say through her critical literary lens; any infelicities that remain are my responsibility alone. The staff of the ags Travel Program, Education Manager Lauren Cummings above all, kept track (and me straight) of myriad logistics. On several occasions during the trip I found myself thinking of the geography classes I took from two memorable teachers, Miss Marks and Mr. Dewar, whose lessons when I was a schoolboy back in Glasgow truly did open up the world.
- Issue published online: 21 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 21 APR 2010
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
If your institution is a registered Wiley Online Library customer, you can log in under your institution's name to see our content. This access is provided by Shibboleth or Athens.
Type your institution's name in the box below. If your institution is a Wiley customer, it will appear in the list of suggested institutions.
Please note that there are currently a number of duplicate entries in the list of institutions. We are actively working on fixing this issue and apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!