My interpretation of Berkeley’s view is deeply influenced by Hannah Ginsborg’s conception of “primitive normativity”, although to the best of my knowledge, Ginsborg does not claim to find the view in Berkeley. For discussion and comments on drafts, I am very grateful to Margaret Atherton, Michael Ayers, Seth Bordner, Justin Broackes, John Carriero, Robert Schwartz, Jennifer Smalligan, Kenneth Winkler, and audiences at McGill University and the “Meaning and Modern Empiricism” conference at Virginia Tech.
The Role of Visual Language in Berkeley’s Account of Generality1
Article first published online: 21 JUL 2011
© 2011 Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, LLC
Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
Volume 83, Issue 3, pages 525–559, November 2011
How to Cite
DUNLOP, K. (2011), The Role of Visual Language in Berkeley’s Account of Generality. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 83: 525–559. doi: 10.1111/j.1933-1592.2011.00492.x
- Issue published online: 23 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 21 JUL 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!