I benefited enormously in the writing of this paper from many discussions with my partner and colleague Magdalena Balcerak Jackson, who was (as always) an invaluable and inexhaustible resource. I would also like to acknowledge the helpful feedback on presentations of this material that I received in discussions at the Australian National University, the University of Sydney, the University of Cologne, and at a workshop on verbal disagreements organized by Daniel Cohnitz at the University of Tartu, Estonia. In particular, I would like to thank John Bengson, Ben Blumson, David Braddon-Mitchell, Jacek Brzozowski, David J. Chalmers, Daniel Cohnitz, Mark Colyvan, Manuel Garcia-Carpintero, Lucas Halpin, Daniel Korman, Max Kölbel, Dan Marshall, Teresa Marques, Kristie Miller, Daniel Nolan, Alex Skiles, Daniel Stoljar, Zoltán Gendler Szabó and Folke Tersman for their thoughtful and stimulating comments, questions and objections.
Metaphysics, Verbal Disputes and the Limits of Charity*
Article first published online: 14 MAY 2012
© 2012 Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, LLC
Philosophy and Phenomenological Research
Volume 86, Issue 2, pages 412–434, March 2013
How to Cite
Jackson, B. B. (2013), Metaphysics, Verbal Disputes and the Limits of Charity. Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 86: 412–434. doi: 10.1111/j.1933-1592.2011.00569.x
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2013
- Article first published online: 14 MAY 2012
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!