Restoration of Wetland and Riparian Systems: The Role of Science, Adaptive Management, History, and Values
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2009
© 2006 Universities Council on Water Resources
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 134, Issue 1, pages 9–18, July 2006
How to Cite
Patten, D. T. (2006), Restoration of Wetland and Riparian Systems: The Role of Science, Adaptive Management, History, and Values. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 134: 9–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2006.mp134001003.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAY 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2009
- 1998. Fluvial Disturbance Patches and Cottonwood Recruitment Along the Upper Missouri River, Montana, Wetlands 18:546–556. and .
- 2003. Local Habitat Restoration in Streams: Constraints on the effectiveness of restoration for stream biota, Ecological Management and Restoration 4:193–198. and .
- 1990. Stream-channel Incision Following Drainage-basin Urbanization, Water Resources Bulletin 26:407–17.
- 1993. Consequences of Urbanization on Aquatic Systems - Measured effects, degradation thresholds, and corrective strategies. In Watershed ‘ 93: A national conference on watershed management, 545–50. Report EPA 840-R-94-002. Washington, DC: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. and .
- 2003. Effects of Channel Modification on Fish Habitat in the Upper Yellowstone River. Final Report to the Governor's Upper Yellowstone River Task Force. (http://upperyellowstonerivertaskforce.org/pdf/fishhabitat.pdf). , , and .
- 1996. The Role of Reference Wetlands in Functional Assessment and Mitigation. Ecological Applications 6:69–76. and .
- 2000. Wetland Loss and Biodiversity Conservation, Conservation Biology 14:314–317.
- 1995. Defining Acceptable Biological Status by Comparing with Reference Conditions. Chapter 4, Pages 31-47 in W. S. Davis and T. Simon (eds.) Biological Assessment and Criteria: Tools for Water Resource Planning and Decision Making for Rivers and Streams. Lewis Publishers: Boca Raton, Florida, 415 pp.
- 1984. Livestock Impacts to Riparian Ecosystems and Streamside Management Implications: A review, Journal of Range Management 37:430–438. and .
- 1997. A Step Toward a Landscape Approach in Riparian Restoration, Restoration Ecology 5: 2–3.
- 1999. Overview of the Use of Natural Variability Concepts in Managing Ecological Systems, Ecological Applications 9:1179–1188. , , and .
- 1964. Fluvial Processes in Geomorphology. W.H. Freeman and Company: San Francisco, California. , and .
- 2005. Changes in Hydrologic Regime by Dams, Geomorphology 71:61–78. and .
- 2002. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation, Journal of Oceanography 58:35–44. and .
- May C. W. and R. R. Homer. 2000. The Cumulative Impacts of Watershed Urbanization on Stream-riparian Ecosystems. Pages 281-286 in P. J. Wigington, Jr. and R. L. Beschta (eds.) Riparian Ecology and Mangement in Multi-land Use Watersheds. Proceedings of the American Water Resources Association 2000 Summer Specialty Conference, Portland, Oregon, 616 pp.
- 1996. Adaptive Management: Promises and Pitfalls, Environmental Management 20:437–448. and .
- 2003. Temporal patterns of channel migration, fluvial events and associated vegetation along the upper Yellowstone River, Montana. Final Report to the Governor's Upper Yellowstone River Task Force. (http://upperyellowstonerivertaskforce.org/pdf/RiparianTrendFinal.pdf). and .
- National Research Council. 1987. The Mono Basin Ecosystem: Effects of Changing Lake Level. National Academy Press: Washington, DC.
- National Research Council. 1992. Restoration of Aquatic Ecosystems: Science, Technology, and Policy. National Academy Press: Washington, DC.
- 2000. Alterations of Riparian Ecosystems Caused by River Regulation, BioScience 50:783–792. and .
- 1998. Riparian Ecosystems of Semi-arid North America: Diversity and human impacts, Wetlands 18:498–512.
- 2001. A Managed Flood on the Colorado River: Background, objectives, design, and implementation, Ecological Applications 11:635–643. , , , and .
- 1997. The Natural Flow Regime. BioScience 47:769–784. , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Prescribed Flood Regimes to Sustain Riparian Ecosystems Along Meandering Rivers, Conservation Biology 14:1467–1478. and .
- 1990. Collapse of Riparian Poplar Forests Downstream from Dams in Western Prairies: Probably causes and prospects for mitigation, Environmental Management 14:451–11464. and .
- 2005. Managing River Flows to Restore Floodplain Forests, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 3:193–201. , , , , , and .
- 1986. North American Precipitation and Temperature Patterns Associated with the El Nino/Southern Oscillation (ENSO), Monthly Weather Review 114:2352–2362. and .
- 2002. Riparian Exclosure Research in the Western United States: A critique and some recommendations, Environmental Management 30:516–526.
- 1995. Simulated effects of proposed ground-water pumping in 17 basins of east-central and southern Nevada. U.S. Geological Survey Water-Resources Investigations. Department of the Interior: Washington, DC, 71 pp. , and .
- 1999. Responses of Riparian Cottonwoods to Alluvial Waters Declines, Environmental Management 23:347–358. , , and .
- 2000. River Ice and its Role in Limiting Woodland Development on a Sandy Braid-plain, Milk River, Montana, Wetlands 20:232–250. and .
- 1990. Riparian Vegetation Instream Flow Requirements: A case study from a diverted stream in the eastern Sierra Nevada, California, Environmental Management 14:185–194. , and .
- 1993. Release of Effluent into the Upper Santa Cruz River, Southern Arizona: Ecological consdierations. Pages 81-92 in K. D. Schmidt and M. Wallace (eds.) Proceedings of the Symposium on Effluent Use Management. American Water Resources Association, Tucson, Arizona, 392 pp. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Effects of Groundwater Decline on Riparian Vegetation of Semiarid Regions: The San Pedro, Arizona, Ecological Applications 6:113–131. , and .
- 1999. Applied Historical Ecology: Using the past to manage for the future, Ecological Applications 9:1189–1206. , , and .
- 1991. Methods of Detecting Past Spruce Beetle Outbreaks in Rocky Mountain Subalpine Forests, Canadian Journal of Forest Research 21:242–254. , , , and .
- 1986. Adaptive Management of Renewable Resources. Macmillan Press: New York, New York, 374 pp.
- 1997. Challenges in Adaptive Management in Riparian and Coastal Ecosystems. Conservation Ecology 1:1 [on line: http://www.consecol.org/vol1/iss2/art1&].
- 1999. The Controlled Flood in Grand Canyon. American Geophysical Union Monograph 110, Washington, DC, 367 pp. , , and .
- 2003. Wetlands at Your Service: Reducing impacts of agriculture at the watershed scale, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 1:65–72.