Future Hydroclimatology and theResearch Challenges of a Post-Stationary World
Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
© 2009 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 142, Issue 1, pages 4–9, August 2009
How to Cite
Hirschboeck, K. K. (2009), Future Hydroclimatology and theResearch Challenges of a Post-Stationary World. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 142: 4–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2009.00045.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 2 SEP 2009
- 2004. Integrated assessment as a step toward reducing climate vulnerability in the Southwestern United States. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 85: 1727–1734. , and .
- 2007. Sustainability or collapse: What can we learn from integrating the history of humans and the rest of nature? Ambio 36:522–527. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Incorporating climate change and variability into Bulletin 17B LP3 Model. ASCE Conference Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2007: Restoring Our Natural Habitat, May 15-19, 2007, Tampa, Florida, USA, pp. 1–8, (doi 10.1061/40927(243)69). and .
- 2000. WEB Report: A Framework for Reassessment of Basic Research and Educational Priorities in Hydrologic Sciences. Report of a Hydrology Workshop, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Jan. 31- Feb.1, 1999, to the NSF-GEO Directorate. http://cires.colorado.edu/science/groups/gupta/projects/web/report/index.html. .
- 2003. Respecting the drainage divide: A perspective on hydrological change and scale. Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education, formerly Water Resources Update 126:54–59. .
- House, P. K., R. H.Webb, V. R.Baker and D.Levish (eds.). 2002. Ancient Floods, Modern Hazards: Principles and Applications of Paleoflood Hydrology. American Geophysical Union Water Science and Application 5. 385 pp.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Fourth Assessment Report (AR4). 2007. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Basis. http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/wg1-report.html.
- 2005. Climate Science and Drought Planning: The Arizona Experience, Journal of the American Water Resources Association 41: 437–445. , and .
- 2006. Linkages between atmospheric circulation, climate and streamflow in the northern North Atlantic: research prospects. Progress in Physical Geography 30: 143–174. , and .
- 2009. Research and Applications Needs in Flood Hydrology Science, National Academies Press: Washington D.C. and .
- 2007. Severe and sustained drought in southern California and the West: Present conditions and insights from the past on causes and impacts. Quaternary International 173-174: 87–100. .
- 2001. El Niño floods and culture change: A late Holocene flood history for the Rio Moquegua, southern Peru. Geology 29: 431–434. and .
- 1991. A history of hydroclimatology. Physical Geography 12: 260–273. .
- 2002. Primary modes and predictability of year-to-year snowpack variations in the western United States from teleconnections with Pacific Ocean climate. Journal of Hydrometeorology 3: 13–25. , .
- 2004. Pacific and Atlantic Ocean influences on multidecadal drought frequency in the United States. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101: 4136–4141. , , .
- 2006. An approach to designing a national climate service. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 103: 19616–19623. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Stationarity is dead: Whither water management? Science 319:573–574. and , , , , and .
- 2003. Tropical Cyclone Reconstructions from Documentary Records: Examples for South Carolina, United States. Pages 121–148 in R.J.Murnane and Kam-biuLiu (eds.) Hurricanes and Typhoons Past, Present, and Future. Columbia University Press: New York . .
- National Research Council. 2008. Integrating Multiscale Observations of U.S. Waters. National Academies Press: Washington D.C.
- 1996. Warm Climate Surprises. Science 271: 1820–1821. .
- 2003. Climate and water in the west: science information and decision-making. Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education, formerly Water Resources Update 124: 4–12. .
- 1991. Surface climate and streamflow variability in the western United States and their relationship to large-scale circulation indices. Water Resources Research 27: 2381–2399. and .
- 2009. Hydroclimatology, Perspectives and Applications. Cambridge University Press: New York . .
- 2004. Aztec drought and the curse of One Rabbit. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 85: 1263–1272. , , .
- 2003. The changing character of precipitation. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84: 1205–1217. , , , and .
- 2006. Multi-century tree-ring reconstructions of Colorado streamflow for water resource planning. Climatic Change 78: 293–315. and .
- 2006. Updated streamflow reconstructions for the Upper Colorado River basin. Water Resources Research 42, W05415. doi:10.1029/2005WR004455. , , and .