Constraints to Water Transfers in Unadjudicated Basins: The Middle Rio Grande as a Case Study
Article first published online: 13 APR 2010
© 2010 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 144, Issue 1, pages 37–43, March 2010
How to Cite
Pease, M. (2010), Constraints to Water Transfers in Unadjudicated Basins: The Middle Rio Grande as a Case Study. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 144: 37–43. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2010.00072.x
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 13 APR 2010
- 1991. Elements of Pior Appropriation. Waters and Water Rights. Lexis Publishing. 1991 edition.
- 2009. Water rush: Deep aquifers sought for metro growth. Albuquerque Journal. February, 11.
- 1988. Historical water use and the protection of vested rights: A challenge for Colorado Water Law. University of Colorado Law Review 69: 503.
- 2000. The importance of getting names right: The myth for water. William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review 25: 317.
- Endangered Species Act, 16 U.S.C. § 1536. 1973.
- 1988. Water rights transfers and third-party effects. Land and Water Law Review 23: 1.
- 2004. Colorado river water rights: Property rights in transition. University of Chicago Law Review 71: 1661. Fall.
- 2003. Rulemaking: How Government Agencies Write Laws and Make Policies. 3rd edition. CQ Press.
- 1999. From reclamation to sustainability: Water, agriculture, and the environment in the American West. University of Colorado Press. Boulder .
- 2007. Official: Water right deals could be costly. Santa Fe New Mexican. November 26, 2007.
- 2003. Simplifying Western water rights to facilitate water marketing. Water Resources Update 126: 40.
- 2006. The Commerce clause, interstate compacts, and marketing water across state boundaries, Natural Resources Journal. 46, 601. and
- Middle Rio Grande Water Assembly and Middle Rio Grande Council of Governments. 2003. Middle Rio Grande Regional Water Plan, 2000-2050. Available at: http://www.waterassembly.org/3WAPUB/CHplan.html.
- New Mexico Office of the State Engineer, 2001. “New Mexico Office of the State Engineer Criteria for Evaluating the Validity of Water Rights Perfected Prior to March 19, 1907 in the Middle Rio Grande”. Albuquerque, NM.
- New Mexico Stat. 72-1-2. 1978. Water Rights Appurtenant to Land.
- New Mexico Stat 72-2-9. 1978 amended 2003. Supervising Apportionment of Water Rights.
- New Mexico Stat. 72-5-18. 1978, amended 2007. Water Allowance.
- New Mexico, Statute 72-5-23. 1907, amended 1953. Water Appurtenant to Land; change in place of use.
- New Mexico, Water Allowance Statute 72-5-18. 1969, amended 1978.
- 1997. Water Management Study: Upper Rio Grande Basin. Report to Western Water Policy Review Advisory Commission. and .
- 2006. Quantifying water rights in general stream adjudications. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education Issue 133: 10–16.
- Pueblo of Isleta v. Tondre. 18 N.M. 388. 1913.
- Rio Grand Compact. 53 Stat. 785. 1938.
- Rio Grande Silvery Minnow v. Keys, 356 F. Supp. 2d 1222, 1225-26 (D.N.M. 2002) .
- S.S. Papadopulos and Associates, 2000. Middle Rio Grande Water Supply Study.
- State of New Mexicov. R. Lee Aamodt, et al537 F.2d 1102. (10th Circ. 1976).
- 2006. General stream adjudications: A good public investment? Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education 133: 52–61.
- Tri-state Generation and Transmission Association Inc. v. John D'Antonio Jr., New Mexico, State Engineer. 2007. State of New Mexico Seventh Judicial Court.
- United States Bureau of Reclamation. 2004. Final Environmental Impact Statement for the City of Albuquerque Drinking Water Project. U.S. Department of the Interior, Bureau of Reclamation, 555 Broadway NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico, in cooperation with the U. S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- United State Census Bureau. 2007. United States Bureau of the Census. http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/GCTTable?_bm=y&-geo_id=01000US&-_box_head_nbr=GCT-T1-R&-ds_name=PEP_2005_EST&-_lang=en&-mt_name=PEP_2005_EST_GCTT1_US9&-format=US-9S&-_sse=on. Accessed on Sept 20, 2006.