Ecosystem Services and Reallocation Choices: A Framework for Preserving Semi-Arid Regions in the Southwest
Article first published online: 13 APR 2010
© 2010 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 144, Issue 1, pages 60–74, March 2010
How to Cite
Brookshire, D. S., Goodrich, D., Dixon, M. D., Brand, L. A., Benedict, K., Lansey, K., Thacher, J., Broadbent, C. D., Stewart, S., McIntosh, M. and Kang, D. (2010), Ecosystem Services and Reallocation Choices: A Framework for Preserving Semi-Arid Regions in the Southwest. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 144: 60–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2010.00075.x
- Issue published online: 13 APR 2010
- Article first published online: 13 APR 2010
- 2002. Flow and Storage in Groundwater Systems. Science 296 (5575): 1985–1990. , , , and .
- Brady, W., A.McElroy, A.Chehbouni, D.C.Goodrich, D.Hadley, M.Hernandez, W.Kepner, B.McClure, A.Moote, and D.Radtke, (eds.), 2000. Proceedings of the Divided Waters–Common Ground Conference, Cananea, Sonora, and Bisbee, Arizona, Nov. 8-10, 2000 (English and Spanish). Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, USA., 62 p. (http://www.tucson.ars.ag.gov/salsa/news/announce/proceedings.pdf; last verified 6/29/09).
- From flows to feathers: Projecting impacts of groundwater change scenarios on riparian floodplain vegetation and birds in a dryland river. To be submitted to Ecohydrology. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- Avian density and nest survival on the San Pedro River: Importance of vegetation type and hydrologic regime. Journal of Wildlife Management: in revision. , , and .
- 2007. “Conceptual Issues of Benefit Transfers and Integrated Modeling”, In Environmental Value Transfer: Issues and Methods, S.Navrud, R.Ready and O.Olvar (Eds)., Vol 9, 2007, in the Kluwer Academic Publishers series entitled The Economics of Non-Market Goods and Resources. and .
- 2007. Uncertainty, Benefit Transfers, and Physical Models: A Middle Rio Grande Valley Focus, In Environmental Value Transfer: Issues and Methods S.Navrud, R.Ready and O.Olvar (Eds.), Vol 9, 2007 in the Kluwer Academic Publishers series entitled The Economics of Non-Market Goods and Resources. , , and .
- Brookshire, D. and H.Neill, (Eds.). 1992. Problems and issues in the validity of benefit transfer methodologies, Water Resources Research 28(3).
- 2000. A preliminary synthesis of major scientific results during the SALSA program. Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 105(1–3): 311–323. , , , , , , , , and .
- Department of Interior. 2005. Water 2025: Preventing Crisis and Conflict in the West, 36 p. (http://www.doi.gov/water2025/).
- 1998. Environmental Policy Analysis with Limited Information: Principles and Applications of the Transfer Method. Cheltenham , U.K : American International Distribution Corporation. , , and .
- 2000a. Preface paper to the Semi-Arid Land-Surface-Atmosphere (SALSA) program special issue. Journal of Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 105(1–3): 3–20. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. Response of breeding birds to the removal of cattle on the San Pedro River, Arizona. Conservation Biology 17: 607–615. , , and .
- 1994. Preface to special section on MONSOON ‘90, Water Resources Research 30: 1211–1225. and .
- 2008. Simulated effects of ground-water withdrawals and artificial recharge on discharge to streams, springs, and riparian vegetation in the Sierra Vista Subwatershed of the Upper San Pedro Basin, southeastern Arizona: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5207, 14 p. , , and .
- Leenhouts, J. M., J. C.Stromberg, and R. L.Scott, (Eds.). 2006. Hydrologic requirements of and consumptive ground-water use by riparian vegetation along the San Pedro River, Arizona: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2005–5163, 154 p.
- 2005. Surface water and groundwater thresholds for maintaining Populus - Salix forests, San Pedro River, Arizona. Biological Conservation 125: 153–167. and .
- 2008. Preface to special section on Fifty Years of Research and Data Collection: U.S. Department of Agriculture Walnut Gulch Experimental Watershed. Water Resources Research 44, W05S01, doi: 10.1029/2007WR006083. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1993. Evaluating energy balance of semiarid rangeland from combined optical-microwave remote sensing. Proc. IEEE Topical Symposium on Combined Optical-Microwave Earth and Atmosphere Sensing, March 22-25, Albuquerque, NM, pp. 82–85. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Ground-water flow model of the Sierra Vista Subwatershed and Sonoran portions of the Upper San Pedro Basin, southeastern Arizona, United States, and northern Sonora, Mexico: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5228. and
- 1999. Hydrogeologic Investigations of the Sierra Vista Subwatershed of the Upper San Pedro Basin, Cochise County, Southeast Arizona. USGS Water-Resources Investigations Report 99-4197. and .
- 2002. Decision support systems: concepts and resources for managers. Westport , Conn. , Quorum Books.
- 2009. Integrating science and policy for water management. Chapter 21, p. 388–406, In: Ecology and Conservation of the San Pedro River. J. C.Stromberg and B. J.Tellman (Eds.). Tucson : University of Arizona Press. , , , and .
- 2006. Participatory learning on the San Pedro: Designing the crystal ball together. Southwest Hydrology, Special Issue on Decision Support Systems 5(4): 24–25.
- SAHRA (Sustainability of semi-Arid Hydrology and Riparian Areas). 2009. Web site (http://www.sahra.arizona.edu/; Accessed on 6/29/09.
- 2007. Modeling climate change impacts - and uncertainty - on the hydrology of a riparian system: the San Pedro Basin (Arizona/Sonora), Journal of Hydrology 347: 48–66. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Status of the riparian ecosystem in the upper San Pedro River, Arizona: application of an assessment model. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment 115: 145–173. , , , , , and .
- 1998. Dynamics of Fremont cottonwood (Popilis fremontii) and saltcedar (Tamarix chinensis) populations along the San Pedro River, Arizona. Journal of Arid Environments 40: 133–155.
- 2004. Evaluation of Conservation Measures in the Upper San Pedro Basin, published and presented at the 2004 Environment and Water Resources Institute Conference, Salt Lake City. , , and .
- 2009. The land and the people. Chapter 11, p. 217–231, In: Ecology and Conservation of the San Pedro River. Ed. by J. C.Stromberg and B. J.Tellman. Tucson : University of Arizona Press. 529 p. and .
- 2004. Evaluation of Conservation Measures in the Upper San Pedro Basin. Proc. ASCE Environmental and Water Resources Institute Conf., Baltimore, MD, Oct. 20-23, p. 9. and .
- 2005. Environmental impacts of groundwater overdraft: Selected case studies in the southwestern United States. Environmental Geology 47: 396–404. , , and .