Engineering Academic Programs for Hydrophilanthropy: Commonalities and Challenges
Article first published online: 9 SEP 2010
© 2010 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 145, Issue 1, pages 5–29, August 2010
How to Cite
Silliman, S., Mohtar, R. H., Paterson, K. G. and Ball, W. P. (2010), Engineering Academic Programs for Hydrophilanthropy: Commonalities and Challenges. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 145: 5–29. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2010.00078.x
- Issue published online: 9 SEP 2010
- Article first published online: 9 SEP 2010
- American Society of Civil Engineers. 2004. Civil Engineering Body of Knowledge for the 21st Century: Preparing the Civil Engineer for the Future. American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston , VA . 191 pp.
- American Society of Environmental Engineers (ASEE). 2008. Profiles of Engineering and Engineering Technology Colleges, 2007 Edition, http://www.asee.org-publications-profiles-index.cfm.
- 2007. Faculty and student attitudes toward community service: a comparative analysis. Journal of Engineering Education, 96(2): 129–140. , , , , and .
- 2009. Measuring the impacts of project-based service learning. Proceedings for the American Society for Engineering Education Annual Conference. Austin, TX. 14 pp. , , and .
- 2008. Dual-team model for international service learning in engineering: Remote solar water pumping in Guatemala. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 134(2): 178–185. and .
- 2008. Three-dimensional modeling of a coastal sedimentary basin of southern Benin (West Africa). In Adelana and MacDonald (Eds.). Applied Ground Water Studies in Africa, IAH selected papers on Hydrogeology, (13), CRC Press, the Netherlands , 437–456. , , and .
- 2009. Community-based ground water quality monitoring: an initial discussion. Guidelines for Community Ground water Supply and Protection in Africa, UNESCO, in press. , , and .
- D80 Center. 2010. Michigan Tech web site. http://www.d80.mtu.edu. Last accessed May 2010.
- 2009. Global Design Team: Concept & Projects. 12th Annual Colloquium on International Engineering Education. Ames, IA.. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Ram Pump Irrigation Systems in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa: Impacts on Food Security, Health and Subsistence Agriculture, CLF Innnovation Grant Final Report, submitted to the Center for a Livable Future, 24 pp. , , , and .
- 2007. The White Man's Burden: Why the West's efforts to aid the rest have done so much ill and so little good. Penguin Press, 448 pp.
- EWB-USA. 2009. Engineers Without Borders – United States of America web site, http://www.ewb-usa.org. Last accessed May, 2010.
- GEP 2010. Global Engineering Program at Purdue. https://engineering.purdue.edu/GEP. Last accessed May, 2010.
- 1989. The Uncertain Promise: Value Conflicts in Technology Transfer. Apex Publishers, 324 pp.
- IWMI. 2010. International Water Management Institute web site. http://www.icarda.cgiar.org. Last accessed May 2010.
- 2001. Students’ choices of college majors that are gender traditional and non-traditional. Journal of College Student Development 42(1): 39–48. and .
- 2006. Defining, developing, and assessing global competence in engineers. European Journal of Engineering Education 31(1): 119–131. , , and .
- 2008. Educating engineers in the sustainable futures model with a global perspective. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems 25(4): 255–263. , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Global engineering competencies. Poster session presented at the 12th Annual Colloquium on International Engineering Education, Ames, IA. , , , , and .
- 2008. Humanitarian engineering: global impacts and sustainability of a curricular effort. International Journal of Engineering Education 24(1): 162–174. , , and .
- National Academy of Engineering. 2004. The Engineer of 2020: Visions of Engineering in the New Century. National Academy Press. 118 pp.
- 2009. Engineering hope: So many questions, one good solution. Annals of Research on Engineering Education 4(2). and .
- 2008. Development for the other 80%: Engineering hope. Australasian Journal of Engineering Education 14(1): 1–12. and .
- 2008. Development for the other 80%: Assessing program outcomes. Proceedings of the 8th Global Colloquium on Engineering Education. Cape Town, South Africa. GC2008–181, 9 pp.
- 2007. Community-based learning: Creating sustainable development engineers. Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education Conference. Honolulu, HI. AC2007–1017, 7 pp. , , , and .
- 2000. Service-learning and engineering ethics. Science and Engineering Ethics 6(3): 413–422.
- 2005. Internationalization of the undergraduate engineering program, Part 1: The Need. International Journal of Engineering Education 21(1): 158–165.
- 2009. Reflections on a decade of international experiences for students in water resources: Assessment of water projects in Haiti and Benin. IEEE T&S Magazine, Special Issue on Volunteerism and Humanitarian Engineering 28(4): 16–24.
- The Farm. 2010. Reference material on the hydraulic ram pump. http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/hydrpump.htm. Last accessed May, 2010.
- USAID. 2009. Private Voluntary Cooperation, Small Project Assistance-Peace Corps. Accessed October 2, 2009 at: http://www.usaid.gov-our_work-cross-cutting_programs-private_voluntary_cooperation-peacecorps.html.
- U.S. Peace Corps. 2009. Peace Corps Partnership Program. Accessed October 2, 2009 at: http://www.peacecorps.gov-index.cfm?shell=resources.donors.
- 2003. Bridge construction in Guatemala: Linking social issues and engineering. Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice 129(3):143–150. , , and .