Irrigation Outreach in Afghanistan: Exposure to Afghan Water Security Challenges
Article first published online: 16 JAN 2013
© 2012 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 149, Issue 1, pages 33–40, December 2012
How to Cite
Reich, D. and Pearson, C. (2012), Irrigation Outreach in Afghanistan: Exposure to Afghan Water Security Challenges. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 149: 33–40. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2012.03125.x
- Issue published online: 16 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 16 JAN 2013
- 1998. Virtual water: a strategic resource – Global solutions to regional deficits. Groundwater 36(4): 545–546.
- 2010. Afghanistan, A Cultural and Political History. Princeton University Press, 350.
- 2008. Wheat versus Poppy on Helmand Front Line. Financial Times. Available at: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/04e1f37c-6d85-11dd-857b-0000779fd18c.html#axzz2Au6fUxAT.
- 2008. The Political Economy of Customary Village Organizations in Rural Afghanistan. University of Wisconsin, Madison , 49.
- 2004. From headwater tributaries to international River: Obersving adapting to climate variability and change in the Nile basin. Global Envrionmental Change 25: 99–114.
- 2009. Afghanistan's Sky-high Birthrate Seems To Be Declining – and That's a Very Good Thing. Stimson. Available at: http://www.stimson.org/spotlight/afghanistans-sky-high-birthrate-seems-to-be-declining-and-thats-a-very-good-thing/.
- 1992. Afghan Water Constraints Overview Analysis. United States Agency for International Development Representative for Afghanistan Affairs. Nathan-Berger Afghanistan Studies Project, 119. , , , , and .
- 2012. Electricity only reaches one in three Afghans. Reuters. Available at: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/09/us-afghanistan-power-idUSTRE8080C920120109.
- 1993. Water and conflict. International Security 18(1): 79–112.
- 2012. Afghanistan's Squandered Foreign Aid has Young Businessman Worried About the Future. Huffington Post. Available at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/18/afghanistan-foreign-aid_n_1526493.html.
- International Union for the Conservation of Nature 2010. Towards Kabul Water Treaty: Managing Shared Water Resources – Policy Issues and Options. International Union for the Conservation of Nature Pakistan, Karachi , 11.
- 2003. Rebuilding Afghanistan's Agriculture Sector. Asian Development Bank, Manila , Phillippines , 33.
- 2011. Finnish funding enables UNICEF to provide safe water to school children in Afghanistan. Unicef Newsline, May 21st.
- 2010. Afghanistan's Food Supply is Least Secure in 163-Nation Ranking. Bloomberg. Available at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-18/afghanistan-s-food-supply-is-the-least-secure-in-a-ranking-of-163-nations.html. and .
- National Solidarity Programme 2011. Villages Speak and the Nation Listens: The Third National Consultation Conference of Afghanistan's Community Development Councils. Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development: Kabul , Afghanistan , 40.
- 2012. Long-Term Growth Prospects for Wheat Production in Afghanistan. A Report from the United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, 33.
- 2010. Afghanistan's woeful water management delights neighbors. Christian Science Monitor. Available at: http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-South-Central/2010/0615/Afghanistan-s-woeful-water-management-delights-neighbors.
- 2002. Water Resources Management in Afghanistan: The Issues and Options. International Water Management Institute. Working Paper 49, Pakistan Country Series No. 14: 24.
- 1995. Water and war. Humanatares Vokerrecht 8: 1.
- 1997. International freshwater conflict: issues and prevention strategies. Green Cross Draft Report, May. and .
- 2008. Reconstruction and Opium Poppy Cultivation in Central Helmand – The Need for an Integrated Program. Conference on Afghanistan Reconstruction: The Future. University of Nebraska at Omaha, 22.
- The Asia Foundation 2006. Afghanistan in 2006 – A Survey of the Afghan People. The Asia Foundation: Kabul , Afghanistan , 128.
- 2009. A Historical Perspective on the Mirab System: A Case Study of the Jangharoq Canal, Baghlan. Afghanistan Research and Evaluation Unit Case Study Series: Kabul , Afghanistan , 66. and .
- 2011. What went wrong with Afghanistan Kajaki power project? bbcnews. Available at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/13925886.
- 2005. Human Development Report, 2005 – International Development at a Crossroads: Aid, Trade, and Security in an Unequal World. United Nations Development Program, 372.
- 1999. Water and Human Security. AVISO: An Information Bulletin on Global Environmental Change and Human Security 3: 29–37.
- 2003. International waters: identifying basins at risk. Water Policy 5:29–60. , , and .
- 2012. Inside Afghanistan's hydropower revolution Green Futures, July 6th.