Critiquing Cooperation: Transboundary Water Governance and Adaptive Capacity in the Orange-Senqu Basin
Version of Record online: 16 JAN 2013
© 2012 UCOWR
Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education
Volume 149, Issue 1, pages 41–55, December 2012
How to Cite
Keller, E. J. K. (2012), Critiquing Cooperation: Transboundary Water Governance and Adaptive Capacity in the Orange-Senqu Basin. Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, 149: 41–55. doi: 10.1111/j.1936-704X.2012.03126.x
- Issue online: 16 JAN 2013
- Version of Record online: 16 JAN 2013
- 2001. The Middle East Water Question: Hydropolitics and the Global Economy. London : I. B. Tauris.
- September 2007. (Former Deputy Director of Planning for the Nambian Department of Water Affairs), in discussion with author,
- April 2007. (South African Delegate to the Lesotho Highlands Water Commission), in discussion with author,
- 2004. Legal and Institutional Adaptation to Climate Uncertainty: A Study of International Rivers. Water Policy 6: 281–302.
- 2008. Adaptation to Climate Change in International River basins in Africa: A review. Tyndall Working Paper, No. 127. Norwich , UK : University of East Anglia. , , and .
- “Policy Review Debate on Budget Vote 34 of 2008/09.” Speech, Cape Town, Western Cape, June 18, 2008.
- September 2007. (Former Head of the Namibian Department of Water Affairs and a Commissioner in the Permanent Water Commission and the ORASECOM), in discussion with author,
- March 2007. (Legal Counsel to the Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority), in discussion with author,
- 2001. Pipe Dreams: The World Bank's Failed Efforts to Resolve Lives and Livelihoods of Dam-Affected People in Lesotho. Maseru : Transformation Resources Centre.
- November 2007. (Director of Botwana's International Water Division within the Department of Water Affairs), in discussion with author,
- 2010. Critiquing Cooperation: The Dynamic Effects of Transboundary Water Regimes. Ph.D. Thesis. University of Oxford: UK .
- 2008. Adapting to Change in Transboundary Rivers: An Analysis of Treaty Flexibility on the Orange-Senqu River Basin. International Journal of Water Resources Development 24(3): 385–400. and .
- 2008. Institution-Based Water Regime Analysis, Orange-Senqu Basin: Emerging river basin organisation for adaptive water management. Ecologic–Institute for International and European Environmental Policy. and .
- April 2007. (Director of the Lesotho Water Commission), in discussion with author,
- Lesotho Highlands Development Authority 2008. Annual Report 2007/2008. Maseru : Lesotho Highlands Development Authority.
- September 2007. (Chief Engineer, Namibian Department of Agriculture Water and Forestry), in discussion with author,
- 2009. Water Resources of South African Development Community: Demands, dependencies, and governance responses. In M. Pressend and T. Othieno, (Eds.) Rethinking Natural Resources in Southern Africa. Midrand , South Africa : Institute for Global Dialogue. and .
- 2003. The need for flexibility in freshwater treaty regimes. Natural Resources Forum 27:156–62.
- April 2007. (Lesotho delegate to the Lesotho Highlands Water Commision), in discussion with author,
- February 2007. (Chief Technical Officer, Lesotho Water Commission), in discussion with author,
- Panel of Experts. 2002. Report prepared for the Lesotho Highlands Development Authority. Maseru : Lesotho Highlands Development Authority.
- Permanent Water Commission. 2005. Pre-feasibility study into measures to improve the management of the lower Orange River and to provide for future developments along the border between Namibia and South Africa. DWA Namibia Report No: 400/8/1/P-13. Windhoek : Department of Water Affairs.
- February 2007. (Chief Engineer, South African Department of Water Affairs and member of the ORASECOM technical task team), discussion with author,
- 2008. Assessing Management Regimes in Transboundary River Basins: Do They Support Adaptive Management? Ecology and Society 13(1): 14–23. , , , , and .
- November 2007. (Senior Water Program Manager at South African Development Community), in discussion with author,
- 2002. SADC-HYCOS Evaluation Mission Report. Gaborone : South African Development Community. and .
- November 2007. (Principal Hydrologist for Botswana's Department of Water Affairs and Member of ORASECOM's technical task team), in discussion with author,
- 2006. Adaptation, adaptive capacity and vulnerability. Global Environmental Change 16(3): 282–92. and .
- Southern African Development Community 2008. Activities of International Cooperating Partners (ICPs) in Transboundary Water Cooperation in the South African Development Community Region. Southern African Development Community Water Division.
- TAMS (Tibbets-Abbett-McCarthy-Stratton Consortium) 1996. Water Resources Management: Policy and Strategies, final report. Maseru : Ministry of Natural Resources.
- 2005. Water information: What is it good for? The use of information in transboundary water management. Regional Environmental Change 5(4): 177–87. and .
- 2007. Institutional Structures in the Four Orange Basin States. Orange-Senqu River Commission. Pretoria .
- 2000. Water Scarcity and Social Stability: Towards a Deeper Understanding of the Key Concepts Needed to Manage Water Scarcity in Developing Countries. SOAS Occasional Paper 17. London : SOAS Water Issues Group. and .
- March 2007. (Chief Director of Integrated Water Resources Planning at South Africa's Department of Water Affairs and Delegate to the ORASECOM and Permanent Water Commission), in discussion with author,
- February 2007. (Chief Engineer, South African Department of Water Affairs), in discussion with author,
- 2009. ORASECOM: Capacity Building Programme. ILISO Consulting. , , , , .
- 2002. Indicators for social and economic coping capacity: Moving toward a working definition of adaptive capacity. Global Environmental Change 12(1): 25–40. and .