Distributing a Product Line in a Decentralized Supply Chain
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
© 2012 Production and Operations Management Society
Production and Operations Management
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 151–163, January/February 2013
How to Cite
Shao, J., Krishnan, H. and Thomas McCormick, S. (2013), Distributing a Product Line in a Decentralized Supply Chain. Production and Operations Management, 22: 151–163. doi: 10.1111/j.1937-5956.2012.01359.x
- Issue published online: 18 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: MAY 2008
- 1992. Discrete Choice Theory of Product Differentiation. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , , .
- 2008. Joint inventory and pricing decisions for an assortment. Oper. Res. 56(5): 1247–1255. , .
- 2003. Handbooks in Operations Research and Management Science Volume 11: Supply Chain Management: Design, Coodination and Operation. Elsevier, North Holland, Amsterdam. .
- 2005. Retail assortment planning in the presence of consumer search. Manuf. Serv. Oper. Manag. 7(4): 330–346. , , .
- 2008. Product variety and demand uncertainty: Why markups vary with quality. J. Indus. Econ. 56(3): 535–551. , .
- 1998. Customer preferences, supply-chain costs, and product-line design. T.-H. Ho, C. S. Tang, eds. Product Variety Management: Research Advances, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA. .
- 2006. Assortment planning and inventory decisions under a locational choice model. Manage. Sci. 52(10): 1528–1543. , .
- 1929. Stability in competition. Econ. J. 39(153): 41–57.
- 1991. Resale price maintenance-empirical evidence from litigation. J. Law Econ. 34(2): 263–294.
- 2009. Assortment planning: Review of literature and industry practice. N. Agrawal, S. A. Smith, eds. Retail Supply Chain Management-Quantitative Models and Empirical Studies, Volume 122, Springer, New York, 99–153. , , .
- 2010. A note on demand functions with uncertainty. Oper. Res. Lett. 38: 436–440.
- 2007. Vertical control of price and inventory. Am. Econ. Rev. 97(5): 1840–1857. , .
- 2010. Inventory dynamics and supply chain coordination. Manage. Sci. 56(1): 141–147. , .
- 1990. The economics of product variety: A survey. Market. Sci. 9(3): 189–206.
- 1998. Retail inventories and consumer choice. S. Tayur, R. Ganeshan, M. Magazine, eds. Quantitative Models for Supply Chain Management, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, 493–551. .
- 2001. Stock retail assortment under dynamic consumer substitution. Oper. Res. 49(3): 334–351. , .
- 2001. Multiproduct firms and product differentiation: A survey. Working paper, University of Warwick, Coventry, UK. , .
- 2001. Vertical control, retail inventories and product variety. Working paper, Department of Economics, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH. .
- 2008. Inventory turnover and product variety. J. Law Econ. 51: 461–478. , .
- 1984. An economic theory of vertical restraints. RAND J. Econ. 15(1): 27–38. , .
- 1998. The law and economics of resale price maintenance. Rev. Indus. Org. 13: 57–84. , .
- 2007. Product line design and production technology. Manage. Sci. 26(1): 101–117. , .
- 1985. Optimal pricing and return policies for perishable commodities. Manage. Sci. 4(2): 166–176.
- 1986. The logic of vertical restraints. Am. Econ. Rev. 76(5): 921–939. , .
- 2005. The economics of vertical restraints. P. Buccirossi, ed. Handbook of Antitrust Economics, The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA. , .
- 1999. On the relationship between inventory costs and variety benefits in retail assortments. Manage. Sci. 45(11): 1496–1509. , .
- 2011. Incentives for transshipment in a supply chain with decentralized retailers. Manuf. Serv. Oper. Manag. 13(3): 361–372. , .
- 2007. Essays on product assortment, inventory and pricing decisions in supply chains. Ph.D. thesis, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY.
- 1999. Management of multi-item retail inventory systems with demand substitution. Oper. Res. 48(1): 50–64. , .
- 1998. The Theory of Industrial Organization. The MIT Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 1998. Product line design for a distribution channel. Market. Sci. 17(2): 156–169.
- 2009. Transshipment between competitive retailers. IIE Trans. 41: 665–676. , .