Antimicrobial Drug Use in Veterinary Medicine
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2005 American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 617–629, July 2005
How to Cite
Morley, P. S., Apley, M. D., Besser, T. E., Burney, D. P., Fedorka-Cray, P. J., Papich, M. G., Traub-Dargatz, J. L. and Weese, J. S. (2005), Antimicrobial Drug Use in Veterinary Medicine. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 19: 617–629. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2005.tb02739.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 2US General Accounting Office. Antibiotic resistance: Federal agencies need to better focus efforts to address risk to humans from antibiotic use in animals. Washington, DC: GAO-04–490, April 2004. Available at http:www.gao.govcgi-bin. getrpt?GAO-04–490. Accessed May 30, 2004.
- 4National Academy of Sciences-Committee on Drug Use in Food Animal, National Research Council, Institute of Medicine. The Use of Drugs in Food Animals: Benefits and Risks. Washington , DC : National Academy Press; 1999:79.
- 5American Veterinary Medical Association. AVMA Guidelines for judicious therapeutic use of antimicrobial drugs. Available at http:www.avma.orgscienactjtuadefault.asp. Accessed May 30, 2004.
- 7US Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Initiation and conduct of all ‘major’ risk assessments within a risk analysis framework (a report by the CFSAN Risk Analysis Working Group, March 2002). Available at http:www.cfsan.fda.gov-dmsrafw-toc.html. Accessed May 30, 2004.
- 25American Veterinary Medical Association. Veterinarian's oath. Available at http:www.avma.orgmembshpabout.asp. Accessed May 30, 2004.
- 26World Health Organization. Containing Antimicrobial Resistance: Review of the Literature and Report of a WHO Workshop on the Development of a Global Strategy for the Containment of Antimicrobial Resistance. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization WHO/CDS/CSR/DRS/99.2; 1999.
- 27World Health Organization. The Medical Impact of the Use of Antimicrobials in Food Animals. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization WHO/EMC/ZOO; 1997.
- 28World Health Organization. Global Principles for the Containment of Antimicrobial Resistance in Animals Intended for Food. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization WHO/CDS/CSR/APH/2000.4; 2000.
- 29Does the animal drug prescription and over-the-counter issue impact human and animal health? Proceedings of the 6th Biennial American Academy of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics Symposium, Blacksburg, VA, 1988..
- 30Development of the public health action plan to combat antimicrobial resistance. In: KnoblerSL, LemonSM, NajafiM., BurroughsT., eds. The Resistance Phenomenon in Microbes and Infectious Disease Vectors: Implications for Human Health and Strategies for Containment: Workshop Summary, Forum on Emerging Infections. Washington , DC : National Academy Press; 2003:198–206.
- 31Infectious Disease Society of America. Practice guidelines. Available at http:www.idsociety.org. Template.cfm?Section=Practice_Guidelines. Accessed May 29, 2003.
- 33National Academy of Sciences, National Research Council, Division of Medical Sciences Ad Hoc Committee on Trauma. Postoperative infections. Ann Surg 1964;160(Suppl 2):1–192.
- 34(ASHP) American Society of Health-System Pharmacists. ASHP Commission on Therapeutics: ASHP therapeutic guidelines on antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery. Am J Health Syst Pharm 1999;56:1839–1888. Available at http:www.ashp.org. bestpractices/tg/Therapeutic%20Guideline%20Antimicrobial%20Prophylaxis%20in%20Surgery.pdf. Accessed May 29, 2004.
- 36Antimicrobial susceptibility testing: General considerations. In: MurrayPR, BaronEJ, JorgensenJH, et al, eds. The Manual of Clinical Microbiology, 7th ed. Washington , DC : American Society for Microbiology; 1999:1469–1473.,
- 37(NCCLS) National Committee on Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria Isolated from Animals, Approved Standard M31-A2. Wayne , PA : NCCLS; 2001.
- 38Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Veterinary antimicrobial decision system. Available at http:www.vetmed.iastate.edudepartmentsvdpampamvads.asp. Accessed May 30, 2004.
- 39Department of Health and Human Services. A public health action plan to combat antimicrobial resistance. Available at http:www.cdc.govdrugresistanceactionplanhtml. prevention1.htm#item26. Accessed May 30, 2004.