Immediate and Late Outcomes of Transarterial Coil Occlusion of Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Dogs
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2006 American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 20, Issue 1, pages 83–96, January 2006
How to Cite
Campbell, F.E., Thomas, W.P., Miller, S.J., Berger, D. and Kittleson, M.D. (2006), Immediate and Late Outcomes of Transarterial Coil Occlusion of Patent Ductus Arteriosus in Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 20: 83–96. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2006.tb02827.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Revised April 28, 2005; Accepted July 11, 2005.
- Coil embolization;
- Congenital heart disease;
Records from dogs (n = 125) that underwent attempted transarterial coil occlusion of patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) at the University of California, Davis, between 1998 and 2003, were reviewed, and a subset of these dogs (n = 31) in which the procedure was performed at least 12 months earlier were reexamined to determine long-term outcome. Coil implantation was achieved in 108 dogs (86%). Despite immediate complete ductal closure in only 34% of dogs, the procedure was hemodynamically successful as evidenced by a reduction in indexed left ventricular internal diameter in diastole (LVIDd; P < .0001), fractional shortening (P < .0001), and left atrial to aortic ratio (LA: Ao; P = .022) within 24 hours. Complete ductal closure was documented in 61% of dogs examined 12 to 63 months after coil occlusion. Long-standing residual ductal flow in the other 39% of dogs was not associated with increased indexed LVIDd or LA: Ao and was not hemodynamically relevant. Repeat intervention was deemed advisable in only 4 dogs with persistent (n = 1) or recurrent (n = 3) ductal flow. Complications included aberrant embolization (n = 27), death (n = 3), ductal reopening (n = 3), transient hemoglobinuria (n = 2), hemorrhage (n = 1), aberrant coil placement (n = 1), pulmonary hypertension (n = 1), and skin abscessation (n = 1). Serious infectious complications did not occur despite antibiotic administration to only 40% of these dogs. Transarterial coil occlusion was not possible in 14 dogs (11%) because of coil instability in the PDA and was associated with increased indexed minimum ductal diameter (P= .03), LVIDd (P= .0002), LVIDs (P= 0.001), and congestive left heart failure (P= .03) reflecting a relatively large shunt volume.