Veterinary Centers of America, West Los Angeles Animal Hospital, Los Angeles, CA
Prophylactic Trimethoprim-Sulfadiazine during Chemotherapy in Dogs with Lymphoma and Osteosarcoma: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study
Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
© 2007 American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 141–148, January 2007
How to Cite
Chretin, J.D., Rassnick, K.M., Shaw, N.A., Hahn, K.A., Ogilvie, G.K., Kristal, O., Northrup, N.C. and Moore, A.S. (2007), Prophylactic Trimethoprim-Sulfadiazine during Chemotherapy in Dogs with Lymphoma and Osteosarcoma: A Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 21: 141–148. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2007.tb02940.x
Prviously presented in part at the Twentieth Annual Conference of the Veterinary Cancer Society in Pacific Grove, CA, in October 2000.
- Issue published online: 5 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 5 FEB 2008
- Revised July 26, 2006, August 27, 2006; Accepted September 29, 2006
- 1Tumors of lymphoid and hematopoietic tissue. In: MoultonJE, ed. Tumors of Domestic Animals, 3rd ed. Berkeley , CA : University of California Press; 1990: 231–307.,
- 2The occurrence of tumors in domestic animals. Natl Cancer Inst Monogr 1980;54:1–210.,
- 4Single agent therapy with adriamycin for canine lymphsarcoma. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1989;25:221–225., , , et al.
- 12OwenLN, ed. TNM Classification of Tumours in Domestic Animals. Geneva : World Health Organization; 1980: 46–47.
- 14Selective oral antimicrobial prophylaxis for the prevention of infection in acute leukemia-ciprofloxacin versus co-trimoxazole plus colistin. Eur J Cancer 1992;28:873–878., ,
- 23The colonization resistance of the digestive tract in experimental animals and its consequences for infection prevention, acquisition of new bacteria and the prevention of spread of bacteria between cage mates. In: WaaijD., VerhoefJ., eds. New Criteria for the Antimicrobial Therapy: Maintenance of Digestive Tract Colonization Resistance, Excerpta Medica International Congress Series. Amsterdam , Netherlands : Elsevier Science; 1979: 43–53.
- 25Treatment of lymphoma and leukemia with cyclophosphamide, vincristine, and prednisone: I. Treatment of dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1983; 19: 159–165.
- 31Doxorubicin for treatment of canine lymphosarcoma after development of resistance to combination chemotherapy. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1981;171:1011–1012.,
- 37Endotoxin concentration in neutropenic patients with suspected gram-negative sepsis: Correlation with clinical outcome and determination of anti-endotoxin core antibodies during therapy with polyclonal immu-noglobulin M-enriched immunoglobulins. Antimicrobial Agents & Chemotherapy 1992;36:2139–2146., , , et al.
- 42Cancer and Vitamin C. Menlo Park , CA : Linus Pauling Institute of Science and Medicine; 1979: 1–238.,
- 43Basic and preventative nutrition for the cat, dog and horse. In: SchoenAM, WynnSG, eds. Complementary and Alternative Veterinary Medicine: Principles and Practice. St. Louis , MO : Mosby Inc; 1998: 23–52.
- 44Botanicals, vitamins, and minerals and the liver: Therapeutic applications and potential toxicities. Comp Cont Ed 2003;25:514–524.
- 46McEvoyG., ed. AHFS Drug Information 2001. Bethesda , MD : American Society of Health-System Pharmacists Inc; 2001: 825–834.