Effect of Benazepril on Survival and Cardiac Events in Dogs with Asymptomatic Mitral Valve Disease: A Retrospective Study of 141 Cases
Article first published online: 8 MAY 2008
Copyright © 2008 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 905–914, July–August 2008
How to Cite
Pouchelon, J.-L., Jamet, N., Gouni, V., Tissier, R., Serres, F., Carlos Sampedrano, C., Castaignet, M., Lefebvre, H. P. and Chetboul, V. (2008), Effect of Benazepril on Survival and Cardiac Events in Dogs with Asymptomatic Mitral Valve Disease: A Retrospective Study of 141 Cases. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 22: 905–914. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2008.0105.x
- Issue published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 8 MAY 2008
- Submitted October 10, 2007; Revised January 14, 2008; Accepted February 22, 2008.
- 1The COVE Study Group. Controlled clinical evaluation of enalapril in dogs with heart failure: Results of the cooperative veterinary enalapril study group. J Vet Intern Med 1995;9:243–252.
- 3The BENCH Study Group. The effect of benazepril on survival times and clinical signs of dogs with congestive heart failure: Results of a multicenter, prospective, randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, long-term clinical trial. J Vet Cardiol 1999;1:7–18., , , et al.
- 12Comparative adverse cardiac effects of pimobendan and benazepril monotherapy in dogs with mild degenerative mitral valve disease: A prospective, controlled, blinded, and randomized study. J Vet Intern Med 2007;21:742–753., , , et al.
- 15International Small Animal Cardiac Health Council. Appendix A. Recommendations for diagnosis of heart disease and treatment of heart failure in small animals. In: FoxPR, SissonD, MoïseNS, eds. Textbook of Canine and Feline Cardiology, 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 1999:883–901.
- 17Regurgitant jet area by Doppler color flow mapping: Quantitative assessment of mitral regurgitation severity in dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2003;5:33–38., , , et al.
- 19Recommendations for standards in transthoracic two-dimensional echocardiography in the dog and cat. Echocardiography Committee of the Specialty of Cardiology, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. J Vet Intern Med 1993;7:247–252., , , et al.
- 22Pulmonary arterial and systemic arterial hypertension. In: KittlesonMD, KienleRD, eds. Small Animal Cardiovascular Medicine. Saint Louis, MO: Mosby; 1998:433–449.,
- 25Chordae tendineae rupture in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease: Prevalence, survival, and prognostic factors (114 cases, 2001–2006). J Vet Intern Med 2007;21:258–264., , , et al.
- 33Asymptomatic valvular disease: Who benefits from surgery? Curr Cardiol Rep 2005;7:87–93., ,
- 37Acquired valvular heart disease. In: EttingerSJ, FeldmanEC., eds. Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 2000:787–800.,
- 38Retrospective study of 942 small sized-dogs: Prevalence of left apical systolic heart murmur and left-sided heart failure, critical effects of breed, and sex. J Vet Cardiol 2006;8:11–18., , , et al.
- 40Chronic angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibition improves cardiac output and fluid balance during heart failure. Am J Physiol 1993;264:414–422., , , et al.
- 42Vascular protection in brain ischemia. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006;21 (Suppl 2):21–29., , , et al.