Utility of 12-Lead Electrocardiogram for Differentiating Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardias in Dogs
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
Copyright © 2008 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 22, Issue 4, pages 915–923, July–August 2008
How to Cite
Santilli, R.A., Perego, M., Crosara, S., Gardini, F., Bellino, C., Moretti, P. and Spadacini, G. (2008), Utility of 12-Lead Electrocardiogram for Differentiating Paroxysmal Supraventricular Tachycardias in Dogs. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 22: 915–923. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2008.0127.x
- Issue online: 4 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Submitted October 13, 2007; Revised February 27, 2008; Accepted April 23, 2008.
- 1ACC/AHA/ESC guidelines for the management of patients with supraventricular arrhythmias—Executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology committee for practice guidelines (writing committee to develop guidelines for the management of patients with supraventricular arrhythmias) developed in collaboration with NASPE-Heart Rhythm Society. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;42:1493–1531., , , et al.
- 2Radiofrequency ablation of a concealed accessory pathway as treatment for incessant supraventricular tachycardia in a dog. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1993;203:1147–1152., , , et al.
- 3Orthodromic reciprocating tachycardia and heart failure in a dog with a concealed postero-septal accessory pathway. J Vet Intern Med 1995;9:43–49., , , et al.
- 4Radiofrequency catheter ablation of atrioventricular accessory pathways in 3 dogs with subsequent resolution of tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy. J Vet Intern Med 1999;13:361–371., , , et al.
- 5Radiofrequency catheter ablation of concealed accessory pathways in two dogs with symptomatic atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia. J Vet Cardiol 2006;8:157–165., , , et al.
- 6Tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy in a young Boxer dog with supraventricular tachycardia due to an accessory pathway. Aus Vet J 2006;84:326–331., , , et al.
- 7Incessant atrial tachycardias in a dog with tricuspid dysplasia. Clinical management and electrophysiology. J Vet Intern Med 1987;1:163–169., , , et al.
- 8Anatomic distribution and electrophysiologic properties of accessory atrioventricular pathways in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2007;231:393–398., , , et al.
- 9Differential diagnosis of tachycardia with narrow QRS complex (shorter than 0.12 second). Am J Cardiol 1984;54:555–560., , , et al.
- 10Value of the 12-lead electrocardiogram in discriminating atrioventricular nodal reciprocating tachycardia from circus movement atrioventricular tachycardia utilizing a retrograde accessory pathway. Am J Cardiol 1987;59:296–300., , , et al.
- 11Differentiation of paroxysmal narrow QRS complex tachycardias using the 12-lead electrocardiogram. J Am Coll Cardiol 1993;21:85–89., , , et al.
- 12Value of analysis of ST segment changes during tachycardia in determining type of narrow QRS complex tachycardia. J Am Coll Cardiol 1996;27:1480–1485., , , et al.
- 13A new electrocardiographic algorithm using retrograde P waves for differentiating atrioventricular node re-entrant tachycardia from atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia mediated by concealed accessory pathway. J Am Coll Cardiol 1997;29:394–402., , , et al.
- 14Differentiation of narrow QRS complex tachycardia types using 12-lead electrocardiogram. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 2002;7:120–126., , , et al.
- 15Electrocardiographic differentiation of typical atrioventricular node reentrant tachycardia from atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia mediated by concealed accessory pathway in children. Am J Cardiol 2003;91:1084–1089., , , et al.
- 16Differentiating atrioventricular nodal re-entrant tachycardia from tachycardia via concealed accessory pathway. Am J Cardiol 2005;95:875–878., , , et al.
- 17Distinction between atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia and atrioventricular node re-entrant tachycardia in the adult population based on P wave location. Should we reconsider the value of some ECG criteria according to gender and age? Europace 2003;5:57–64., ,
- 18Usefulness of ST-segment elevation in lead aVR during tachycardia for determining the mechanism of narrow QRS complex tachycardia. Am J Cardiol 2003;92:1424–1428., , , et al.
- 19A modified electrocardiographic algorithm for differentiating typical atrioventricular node re-entrant tachycardia from atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia mediated by concealed accessory pathway. Int J Clin Pract 2006;60:1371–1377., , , et al.
- 20Ventricular preexcitation in seven dogs and nine cats. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1985;187:1026–1031.,
- 21Supraventricular tachycardia in four young dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1996;208:75–79., ,
- 22Orthodromic incessant atrioventricular reciprocating tachycardia in a dog. J Vet Cardiol 2000;2:23–27.,
- 23Morphology of ventricular arrhythmias in the Boxer as measured by 12-lead electrocardiography with pace-mapping. J Vet Intern Med 2002;16:153–158., , , et al.
- 24Clinical Cardiac Electrophysiology. Technique and Interpretations, 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2002:322–424.
- 25Sustained atrial tachycardia in adults patients: Electrophysiological characteristics, pharmacological response, possible mechanisms, and effects of radiofrequency ablation. Circulation 1994;90:1262–1278., , , et al.
- 26Entrainment techniques for mapping atrial and ventricular tachycardias. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1995;6:201–216., ,
- 28The electrocardiogram in dogs with standardized body and limb positions. J Electrocardiol 1968;1:175–182.
- 29The dog electrocardiogram: A critical review. In: MacfarlanePW, Veitch LawrieTD, eds. Comprehensive Electrocardiology. Theory and Practice in Health and Disease. New York: Pergamon Press; 1993:1267–1329.
- 30Value of QRS alternation in determining the site of origin of narrow QRS supraventricular tachycardia. Circulation 1983;68:368–373., , , et al.
- 31Effect of sudden rate acceleration on the human His-Purkinje system: Adaptation of refractoriness in a dampened oscillatory pattern. Circulation 1986;73:920–929., , , et al.
- 32Cycle length dependence of human action potential duration in vivo. Effects of single extrastimuli, sudden sustained rate acceleration and deceleration, and different steady-state frequencies. J Clin Invest 1988;82:972–979., , , et al.
- 33Determinants of QRS alternans during narrow QRS tachycardia. J Am Coll Cardiol 1987;9:489–499., , , et al.
- 34Significance of QRS alternans during narrow QRS tachycardias. PACE 1991;14:2193–2198.
- 35Supraventricular tachycardia with alternating cycle length. What is the mechanism? J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2001;12:1329–1330., ,
- 36Cycle length alternation during supraventricular tachycardia: Occurrence and mechanism in a canine model of AV reentrant tachycardia. PACE 1990;13:314–325., , , et al.
- 37Catheter ablation of accessory atrioventricular pathways (Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome) by radiofrequency current. N Engl J Med 1991;324:1605–1611., , , et al.
- 38Radiofrequency endocardial catheter ablation of accessory atrioventricular pathway atrial insertion sites. Circulation 1993;87:487–499., ,
- 39Curative percutaneous catheter ablation using radiofrequency energy for accessory pathways in all locations: Results in 100 consecutive patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 1992;19:1303–1309., , , et al.
- 40Radiofrequency catheter ablation of accessory atrioventricular connections in 250 patients: Abbreviated therapeutic approach to Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Circulation 1992;85:1337–1346., , , et al.
- 41Radiofrequency catheter ablation of accessory pathways. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 1994;5:532–552., , , et al.
- 42Radiofrequency catheter ablation of accessory pathways: Technique and results in 248 patients. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1990;13:1609–1614., , , et al.
- 43Catheter ablation of accessory pathways in patients with Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. G Ital Cardiol 1992;22:1245–1253., , , et al.
- 44Successful radiofrequency ablation of accessory pathways with the first energy delivery: The anatomic and electrical characteristic. Eur Heart J 1996;17:1072–1079., , , et al.
- 45Long-term results of radiofrequency catheter ablation in patients with multiple accessory pathways. Am J Cardiol 1996;78:1375–1379., , , et al.
- 46Ventriculo-atrial intervals during narrow complex reentrant tachycardia in children. Am Heart J 1991;121:1699–1702.,
- 47When, why, and how to perform cardiac radiofrequency catheter ablation. J Vet Cardiol 2006;8:95–107., ,
- 48Sequence of retrograde atrial activation of the human heart: Correlation with P wave polarity. Br Heart J 1977;39:634–740., , , et al.
- 49Simple electrocardiographic criteria for identifying the site of origin of focal right atrial tachycardia. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 1998;21:2431–2439., , , et al.
- 50Lead aVR, a mostly ignored but very valuable lead in clinical electrocardiography. J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;38:1355–1356., ,
- 51Significance of ST segment depression during paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. J Am Coll Cardiol 1988;12:383–387., , , et al.
- 52Magnetic measurement of S-T and T-Q segment shifts in humans. Part I: Early repolarization and left bundle branch block. Circ Res 1983;53:264–273., , , et al.
- 53Magnetic measurement of S-T and T-Q segment shifts in humans. Part II: Exercise induced S-T depression. Circ Res 1983;53:274–279., , , et al.
- 54Experimental studies on the electrocardiogram of the dog. Jpn J Vet Sci 1964;25:191–210.