This work was done at the Facoltá di Medicina Veterinaria, Universitá degli Studi di Milano, Milano, Italia. This work has been presented as a short abstract during ESVONC Junior Research Award—Clinical Research, at 1st WORLDVETCANCER, from February 28 to March 1, 2008 in Copenhagen.
Ultrasound-Guided Cytology of Spleen and Liver: A Prognostic Tool in Canine Cutaneous Mast Cell Tumor
Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 1051–1057, September/October 2009
How to Cite
Stefanello, D., Valenti, P., Faverzani, S., Bronzo, V., Fiorbianco, V., Pinto da Cunha, N., Romussi, S., Cantatore, M. and Caniatti, M. (2009), Ultrasound-Guided Cytology of Spleen and Liver: A Prognostic Tool in Canine Cutaneous Mast Cell Tumor. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23: 1051–1057. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2009.0354.x
- Issue online: 1 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2009
- Submitted July 25, 2008; Revised March 30, 2009; Accepted June 15, 2009.
- 1Mast cell tumors. In: WithrowSJ, MacEwenEG, eds. Small Animal Clinical Oncology, 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co; 2007:402–424.,
- 4Clinical management of mast cell tumors in dogs. Compend Contin Educ Pract Vet 2005;27:56–68., ,
- 6OwenLN, ed. TNM Classification of Tumours in Domestic Animals, 1st ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1980:14–15.
- 7Biologic behavior and prognostic factors for mast cell tumors of the canine muzzle: 24 cases (1990–2001). J Vet Intern Med 2003;17:687–692., , , et al.
- 8Cytological comparison of fine-needle aspirates of liver and spleen of normal dogs and of dogs with cutaneous mast cell tumours and an ultrasonographically normal appearing liver and spleen. Vet Comp Oncol 2006;4:178–183., , , et al.
- 9Recurrence rate, clinical outcome, and cellular proliferation indices as prognostic indicators after incomplete surgical excision of cutaneous Grade II mast cell tumors: 28 dogs (1994–2002). J Vet Intern Med 2006;20:933–940., , , et al.
- 15Lymphoid system. In: Atlas of Canine and Feline Cytology, 1st ed. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders Co; 2001:93–134.,
- 26Ultrasonographic findings in abdominal mast cell disease: A retrospective study of 19 patients. Vet Radiol Ultrasound 2004;45:51–57.,
- 30The essentials of diagnostic cytology in clinical oncology. In: WithrowSJ, MacEwenE3rd, eds. Small Animal Clinical Oncology. New York: WB Saunders; 2001:54–62.
- 33Canine mast cell tumors: Correlation of apoptosis and proliferation markers with prognosis. J Vet Intern Med 2006;20:151–158., , , et al.