Consensus Statements of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM) provide the veterinary community with up-to-date information on the pathophysiology, diagnosis, and treatment of clinically important animal diseases. The ACVIM Board of Regents oversees selection of relevant topics, identification of panel members with the expertise to draft the statements, and other aspects of assuring the integrity of the process. The statements are derived from evidence-based medicine whenever possible and the panel offers interpretive comments when such evidence is inadequate or contradictory. A draft is prepared by the panel, followed by solicitation of input by the ACVIM membership, which may be incorporated into the statement. It is then submitted to the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, where it is edited prior to publication. The authors are solely responsible for the content of the statements.
Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Canine Chronic Valvular Heart Disease
Article first published online: 22 SEP 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 1142–1150, November/December 2009
How to Cite
Atkins, C., Bonagura, J., Ettinger, S., Fox, P., Gordon, S., Haggstrom, J., Hamlin, R., Keene, B., Luis-Fuentes, V. and Stepien, R. (2009), Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Canine Chronic Valvular Heart Disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 23: 1142–1150. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2009.0392.x
- Issue published online: 27 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 22 SEP 2009
- Submitted June 12, 2009; Revised August 7, 2009; Accepted August 17, 2009.
- 1Chronic valvular disease (endocardiosis) in dogs. Adv Vet Sci Comp Med J Vet Cardiol 2004;6:6–7.
- 10A differential scanning calorimetry study of collagen phase transition in myxomatous mitral valves. Biophys J 2007;44A., ,
- 17The recognition of cardiac disease and congestive heart failure. In: EttingerSF, DuterPF. Canine Cardiology. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders; 1970: p. 5.,
- 18International Small Animal Cardiac Health Council. Recommendations for the diagnosis and treatment of heart failure in small animals. Woodbridge, NJ: ISACHC Publication; 1994: p. 5.
- 19ACC/AHA guidelines for the evaluation and management of chronic heart failure in the adult: Executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (committee to revise the 1995 guidelines for the evaluation and management of heart failure). J Am Coll Cardiol 2001;38:2101–2113., , , et al.
- 22Effect of benazepril on survival and cardiac events in dogs with asymptomatic mitral valve disease: A retrospective study of 141 cases. J Vet Intern Med 2008;22:905–914., , , et al.