(Åblad, Nilsen). This study was performed at Department of Basic Animal and Veterinary Sciences, Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Din Veterinär Animal Hospital, Helsingborg, Sweden and Blå Stjärnans Animal Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability, and Arrhythmias in Dogs with Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
Copyright © 2011 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 26, Issue 1, pages 76–84, January-February 2012
How to Cite
Rasmussen, C.E., Falk, T., Zois, N.E., Moesgaard, S.G., Häggström, J., Pedersen, H.D., Åblad, B., Nilsen, H.Y. and Olsen, L.H. (2012), Heart Rate, Heart Rate Variability, and Arrhythmias in Dogs with Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 26: 76–84. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.00842.x
Preliminary results of this study were presented as a research abstract for the 2011 American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum in Denver, CO.
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 29 AUG 2011
- Manuscript Received: 24 FEB 2011
- Danish Council of Independent Research|Medical Sciences. Grant Numbers: 271-08-0998, 271-05-03335
- Synergy in Human and Animal Research
- 2Insights from the study of heart rate variability. Annu Rev Med 1999;50:261., .
- 5Beat-to-beat variations of heart rate reflect modulation of cardiac autonomic outflow. News Physiol Sci 1990;5:32–37..
- 6Physical activity is a major contributor to the ultra low frequency components of heart rate variability. Heart 1999;82:9e., , .
- 16Mitral Valve Prolapse in the Dog. Pathogenesis, Pathophysiology, Diagnosis and Comparative Aspects of Early Myxomatous Mitral Valve Disease. Copenhagen, Denmark: The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University; 2000. Thesis..
- 22Heart rate variability assessment in patients with mitral valve prolapse syndrome. Am J Noninvas Card 1993;7:210–214., , , et al.
- 33Diagnosis and treatment of arrhythmias (dysrhythmias). In: Kittleson MD, Kienle RD, eds. Small Animal Cardiovascular Medicine, St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 1998:449–494..
- 34Arrhythmia in mitral valve prolapse. In: Podrid PJ, Kowey PR, eds. Cardiac Arrhythmias: Mechanisms, Diagnosis and Management. Philadelphia, PA: Williams and Wilkins; 1995:1253–1266., .
- 35Analysis of common canine cardiac arrhythmias. In: Cann CC, Hunsberger SL, eds. Essentials of Canine and Feline Electrocardiography. Malvern, PA: Lea & Febiger; 1992:127–207..
- 38Standardization of the 24-hour electrocardiographic monitoring in dogs. Arq Bras Med Vet Zootec 2002;54:133–138., , , .
- 39Effect of pimobendan or benazepril hydrochloride on survival times in dogs with congestive heart failure caused by naturally occurring myxomatous mitral valve disease: The QUEST study. J Vet Intern Med 2008;22:1124–1135., , , et al.