This work was performed at the Veterinary Teaching Hospitals of North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC; the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN: and the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Blacksburg, VA.
Evaluation of Levetiracetam as Adjunctive Treatment for Refractory Canine Epilepsy: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Trial
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2012
Copyright © 2012 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 26, Issue 2, pages 341–348, March-April 2012
How to Cite
Muñana, K.R., Thomas, W.B., Inzana, K.D., Nettifee-Osborne, J.A., McLucas, K.J., Olby, N.J., Mariani, C.J. and Early, P.J. (2012), Evaluation of Levetiracetam as Adjunctive Treatment for Refractory Canine Epilepsy: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Crossover Trial. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 26: 341–348. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.00866.x
Findings from this study were presented at the 2010 American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Forum, Anaheim, CA.
- Issue published online: 20 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 7 NOV 2011
- Manuscript Received: 8 SEP 2011
- UCB Pharma Inc
- Morris Animal Foundation
- 1Inheritance and idiopathic canine epilepsy. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1988;24:421–424., .
- 2Seizure disorders in companion animals. Comp Cont Ed Pract Vet 1980;2:77–85..
- 9Levetiracetam therapy for longterm idiopathic epileptic dogs. ACVIM Abstracts. J Vet Intern Med 2004;18:410., .
- 19A multicentre, double-blind, randomized, parallel group study to evaluate the tolerability and efficacy of two oral doses of levetiracetam, 2000 mg daily and 4000 mg daily, without titration in patients with refractory epilepsy. Seizure 2000;9:80–87., , .
- 23Therapeutic drug monitoring of levetiracetam by high-performance liquid chromatography with photodiode array ultraviolet detection: Preliminary observations on correlation between plasma concentration and clinical response in patients with refractory epilepsy. Ther Drug Monit 2007;29:576–583., , , et al.
- 25Clinical experience of levetiracetam (LEV) in refractory adult epilepsy patients. Epilepsia 2002;43(Suppl 7):192., .
- 26Analysis of levetiracetam and zonisamide in plasma and serum by HPLC. Clin Chem 2002;48(Suppl 6):44–45., , .