Caroline S Mansfield is presently affiliated with the Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Melbourne, Werribee, VIC, Australia. The study was performed at Murdoch University, with laboratory assistance from Murdoch University Clinical Pathology Laboratory, Royal Perth Hospital, ScheBo Biotech Germany, and The GI Laboratory, Texas A&M University. The work was presented as an abstract at ECVIM Congress 2009.
A Pilot Study to Assess Tolerability of Early Enteral Nutrition via Esophagostomy Tube Feeding in Dogs with Severe Acute Pancreatitis
Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
Copyright © 2011 by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 419–425, May/June 2011
How to Cite
Mansfield, C.S., James, F.E., Steiner, J.M., Suchodolski, J.S., Robertson, I.D. and Hosgood, G. (2011), A Pilot Study to Assess Tolerability of Early Enteral Nutrition via Esophagostomy Tube Feeding in Dogs with Severe Acute Pancreatitis. Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, 25: 419–425. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-1676.2011.0703.x
- Issue online: 3 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 MAR 2011
- Submitted June 11, 2010; Revised December 26, 2010; Accepted February 1, 2011.
- 2Acute pancreatitis in the dog. In Pract 1995;17:328–337.,
- 3Pancreatitis in the dog: Dealing with a spectrum of disease. In Pract 2004;26:64–77.
- 15The role of the intestine in the pathophysiology and management of severe acute pancreatitis. World J Gastroenterol 2003;5:69–85.,
- 16Nutrition support in acute pancreatitis. J Pancreas 2008;9:375–390., ,
- 19Early intrajejunal nutrition: Bacterial translocation and gut barrier function of severe acute pancreatitis in dogs. Hepatobiliary Pancreat Dis Int 2002;1:150–154., , , et al.
- 21A randomized controlled trial of enteral versus parenteral feeding in patients with predicted severe acute pancreatitis shows a significant reduction in mortality and in infected pancreatic complications with total enteral nutrition. Dig Surg 2006;23:336–344., ,
- 22Nutrition support in acute pancreatitis: A systematic review of the literature. J Parenter Enteral Nutr 2006;30:143–156., , , et al.
- 24A randomized study of early nasogastric versus nasojejunal feeding in severe acute pancreatitis. Am J Gastroenterol 2005;100:432–439., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 26Enteral nutrition: A hard look at some soft evidence. Nutr Clin Pract 2009;24:316–324.
- 27Early enteral nutrition in severe acute pancreatitis: A prospective randomized controlled trial comparing nasojejunal and nasogastric routes. J Clin Gastroenterol 2006;40:431–434., , , et al.
- 36Nutritional support in pancreatitis: A retrospective study. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 1995;5:32–41., , , et al.
- 37Animal temperature regulation. In: DavisCA, ed. The Fire of Life: An Introduction to Animal Energetics. New York: John Wiley & Sons Inc; 1961:146–174.
- 39Current management and novel insights in acute pancreatitis. Exp Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009;3:435–444., ,
- 40UK Working Party on Acute Pancreatitis: UK guidelines for the management of acute pancreatitis. Gut 2005;54:1–iii9.
- 43Evaluation of fresh frozen plasma administration in dogs with pancreatitis: 77 cases (1995–2005). J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2009;19:617–622.,