I wish to express my gratitude to Pamela Winfield for her encouragement, support, and editorial attentiveness. Her many suggestions and clarifications greatly improved the essay. Barbara Ambros’ invitation to participate in a panel to honor the work of Carmen Blacker stimulated initial reflections on our filmmaking approach. I am grateful to Tanaka Riten, Tateishi Kōshō, Gojō Ryoki, Iwagishi Shinsei, Tateishi Rika, Ozaki Hitoshi, Suzuki Akiko, Miyamoto Kazuhiko, and Fujie Noritoshi for their guidance, generosity, and eloquence during filmmaking in Kumano, Yoshino, Tokyo, and Osaka. In Ibaraki, the Fujita, Kawanishi, and Ozaki families provided sustenance, outstanding company, and a tatami room to begin initial editing. In Montreal, Kory Goldberg, Matthew Penney, François Thibeault, Lynda Clarke, Donald Boisvert, and Rotem Ayalon provided encouragement and practical advice in preparing this essay for publication. Jean-Marc Abela took a chance on a risky film project in a culture and language he knew nothing about; devoted thousands of hours to film, edit, mix and discuss the film; and consistently demonstrated a great deal of creativity, sensitivity, and patience. All translations and photographs are mine unless otherwise indicated.
Making a Space for Hope: Representing the Creative Reinvention of Japanese Mountain Asceticism in the Documentary Shugendō Now
Article first published online: 15 SEP 2011
© 2011 Association for Religion and Intellectual Life
Volume 61, Issue 3, pages 298–327, September 2011
How to Cite
Patrick McGuire, M. (2011), Making a Space for Hope: Representing the Creative Reinvention of Japanese Mountain Asceticism in the Documentary Shugendō Now. CrossCurrents, 61: 298–327. doi: 10.1111/j.1939-3881.2011.00185.x
- Issue published online: 15 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 15 SEP 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you have access to this content through a society membership, please first log in to your society website.
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- If you already have a Wiley Online Library or Wiley InterScience user account: login above and proceed to purchase the article.
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!