Jean M. Fallon (PhD, University of Virginia) is Professor of French and Chair of the Department of Modern Languages at Hollins University in Roanoke, Virginia.
Ni Pour, Ni Contre: Conflict and Community in the Films of Céedric Klapisch1
Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
© 2007 American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
Foreign Language Annals
Volume 40, Issue 2, pages 201–214, May 2007
How to Cite
Fallon, J. M. (2007), Ni Pour, Ni Contre: Conflict and Community in the Films of Céedric Klapisch. Foreign Language Annals, 40: 201–214. doi: 10.1111/j.1944-9720.2007.tb03197.x
This article aims to introduce Klapisch to a larger American public, specifically to teachers of French and French studies in the United States who may not be familiar with all of Klapischs work. Ni pouv ni contre (bien au contraire) [Neither For Nor Against, Quite the Opposite] is the title of the captivating gangster heist film that Klapisch completed just after wrapping up the filming of Uuberge espugnole [The Spanish Apartment]. It offers a darker look than Auberge at conflicts within a community and did not have a U.S. release. In working nearly simultaneously on the two films, Klapisch was acutely aware of their thematic yin and yang relationship, and was disappointed by the tepid response that Ni pour ni contre (bien au contraire) received in France.
- Issue published online: 31 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 31 DEC 2008
Options for accessing this content:
- If you would like institutional access to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!