Impact-induced microbial endolithic habitats
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2002 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 37, Issue 10, pages 1287–1298, October 2002
How to Cite
Cockell, C. S., Lee, P., Osinski, G., Horneck, G. and Broady, P. (2002), Impact-induced microbial endolithic habitats. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 37: 1287–1298. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2002.tb01029.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 2002 January 29; accepted in revised form 2002 May 21
- and (1978) The influence of temperature and light penetration on the abundance of the hypolithic algae in the Negev Desert of Israel. Oecologia 33, 255–260.
- and (1994) Patterns of plant distribution within two polar desert landscapes. Arctic Alpine Res. 26, 46–55. , ,
- 1985) General carotenoids methods. Meth. Enzymol. 111, 113–158. (
- 1981a) The ecology of sublithic terrestrial algae at the Vestfold Hills, Antarctica. Br. Phycol. J. 16, 231–240. (
- 1981b) The ecology of chasmolithic algae at coastal locations of Antarctica. Phycologia 20, 259–272. (
- and (1997) Ultraviolet-absorbing scytonemin and mycosporine-like amino acid derivatives in exposed, rock-inhabiting cyanobacterial lichens. Oecologia 112, 165–172. ,
- and (1998) Haughton-Mars 97-II: Preliminary observations on highly shocked crystalline basement rocks on the Haughton impact crater (abstract). Lunar Planet. Sci. 29, #1307, Lunar and Planetary Institute, Houston, Texas, USA (CD-ROM). , , , , ,
- and (1994) Impact delivery of volatiles and organic molecules to Earth. In Hazards Due to Comets and Asteroids (ed. T.Gehrels), pp. 9–58. Univ. Arizona Press, Tucson, Arizona, USA. ,
- and (2001) The history of the UV radiation climate of the Earth—Theoretical and space-based observations. Photochem. Photobiol. 73, 447–451.
- and (2001) Microbiology and vegetation of micro-oases and polar desert, Haughton impact crater, Devon Island, Nunavut, Canada. Arctic, Antarctic Alpine Res. 33, 306–318. , , , ,
- and (2002) Influence of ice and snow covers on the UV exposure of microbial communities—Dosimetric studies. J. Photochem. Photobiol. (in press). , , , ,
- and (1997) UV-B-induced synthesis of photoprotective pigments and extracellular polysaccharides in the terrestrial cyanobacterium Nostoc commune. J. Bacteriol. 179, 1940–1945. ,
- 1978) Melting snow in the dry valleys is a source of water for endolithic microorganisms. Antarctic J. USA. 13, 162–163. (
- 1982) Endolithic microorganisms in the Antarctic cold desert. Science 215, 1045–1053. (
- and (1976) Endolithic blue-green algae in the dry valleys: Primary producers and the Antarctic desert ecosystem. Science 193, 1247–1249.
- and (1993) Long-term productivity in the cryptoendolithic microbial community of the Ross Desert, Antarctica. Microb. Ecol. 25, 51–69. , ,
- 1983) Reconnaissance geology of the Precambrian shield of Ellesmere, Devon and Coburg Islands, Arctic Archipelago: A preliminary account. Geol. Surv. Can. Pap. 82–10, 11 pp. (
- and (1978) Haughton astrobleme: A mid-Cenozoic impact crater, Devon Island, Canadian Arctic Archipelago. Arctic 31, 108–124.
- and (1991) Precambrian successions in the northernmost part of the Canadian Shield. In Geology of the Innuitian Orogen and Arctic Platform of Canada and Greenland (ed. H. P.Trettin), pp. 179–184. Geological Survey of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- and (1992) Evidence for an ultraviolet sunscreen role of the extracellular pigment scytonemin in the terrestrial cyanobacterium Chlorogloeopsis sp. Photochem. Photobiol. 56, 17–23. ,
- and (1982) Adsorption, Surface Area and Porosity. Academic Press, London, U.K. 303 pp.
- 1988) The Haughton impact structure: Summary and synthesis of the results of the HISS project. Meteoritics 23, 249–254. (
- and (1988) The stratigraphy, sedimentology, and fossils of the Haughton formation: A post-impact crater-fill, Devon Island, N.W.T., Canada. Meteoritics 23, 221–231. ,
- and (1996) Biological UV dosimetry of solar radiation for different simulated ozone column thicknesses. J. Photochem. Photobiol B: Biol. 32, 189–196. , , , , , , ,
- 1988) 40Ar-39Ar dating of the Haughton impact structure. Meteoritics 23, 233–234. (
- and (1995) Germinable seed bank from polar desert stands, Central Ellesmere Island, Canada. In Global Change and Arctic Terrestrial Ecosystems (eds. T. V.Callaghan, U.Molau, M. J.Tyson, J. I.Holten, W. C.Oechel, T.Gilmanov, B.Maxwell and B.Sveinbojorrnsson), pp. 97–107. Ecosystems Research Report 10, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.
- 1981) Climatic regions of the Canadian Arctic islands. Arctic 34, 225–240. (
- and (1985) The cryptoendolithic microbial environment in the Antarctic cold desert: Temperature variations in nature. Polar Biol. 4, 19–25.
- 1989) Impact Cratering. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford, U.K. 245 pp. (
- and (1993) Terrestrial lithophytic (rock) communities. In Antarctic Microbiology (ed. E. I.Friedmann), pp. 343–412. Wiley-Liss, New York, New York, USA.
- and (1988) The cryptoendolithic microbial environment in the Ross Desert of Antarctica: Light in the photosynthetically active region. Microb. Ecol. 16, 271–289. ,
- and (2001) Impact-generated carbonate melts: Evidence from the Haughton structure, Canada. Earth Planet. Sci. Lett. 194, 17–29.
- 1993) Field relationships between scytonemin density, growth, and irradiance in cyanobacteria occurring in low illumination regimes. Microb. Ecol. 26, 101–110. (
- and (1988) Gravity and magnetic investigations in the Haughton impact structure, Devon Island, Canada. Meteoritics 23, 235–238. ,
- and (1999) Community and pigment structure of arctic cyanobacterial assemblages: The occurrence and distribution of UV-absorbing compounds. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 28, 315–323. ,
- and (1992) A biofilm used as ultraviolet-dosimeter. Photochem. Photobiol. 55, 389–395. , ,
- and (2000) Put out the light, and then put out the light. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. U.K. 80, 1–25. ,
- and (1999) The DLR-Biofilm as personal UV dosimeter. In Fundamentals for the Assessment of Risks from Environmental Radiation (eds. C.Baumstark-Khan, S.Kozubek and G.Horneck), pp. 367–370. NATO Science Series, Vol 55. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, The Netherlands. ,
- and (1983) Haughton impact structure: Structural and morphological aspects. Canadian J. Earth Sci. 20, 1134–1151.
- and (1988) Seismic signature of the Haughton structure. Meteoritics 23, 239–247.
- 1988) Carbon metabolism of the cryptoendolithic microbiota from the Antarctic desert. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 54, 960–965. (
- and (1977) Soils of the Truelove lowland and plateau. In Truelove Lowland, Devon Island, Canada: A High Arctic Ecosystem (ed. L. C.Bliss), pp. 31–62. University of Alberta Press, Edmonton, Canada.
- and (1990) Pollen and vertebrates of the early Neogene Haughton Formation, Devon Island, Arctic Canada. Arctic 43, 324–330.