Modeling damage and deformation in impact simulations
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2004 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 217–231, February 2004
How to Cite
Collins, G. S., Melosh, H. J. and Ivanov, B. A. (2004), Modeling damage and deformation in impact simulations. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 39: 217–231. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2004.tb00337.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received: 21 July 2003; revision accepted: 15 December 2003
- 1980. SALE: A simplified ALE computer program for fluid flows at all speeds, LA-8095 Report. Los Alamos: Los Alamos National Laboratories. 101 p. , , and
- 1990. The damage mechanics of brittle solids in compression. Pure and Applied Geophysics 133: 489–521. and
- 1961. Analysis of the formation of Meteor Crater, Arizona. A preliminary report. Journal of Geophysical Research 66: 3379–3387.
- 1973. Study of the brittle fracture process under uniaxial compression. Tectonophysics 18: 231–248.
- 1993. Rupture mechanism and interface separation in foam rubber models of earthquakes: A possible solution to the heat flow paradox and the paradox of large overthrusts. Tectonophysics 218: 59–67. , , and
- 1978. Friction of rocks. Pure and Applied Geophysics 116: 615–626.
- 2002. Hydrocode simulations of Chicxulub crater collapse and peakring formation. Icarus 157: 24–33. , , , and
- 1977. Terrestrial impact structures: Principal characteristics and energy considerations. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by RoddyD. J., PepinR. O., and MerrillR. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 247–275. , , and
- 1995. Rheology of rocks. In Rock physics and phase relations: A handbook of physical constants, edited by AhrensT. J. Washington D.C.: American Geophysical Union. pp. 148–165. and
- 1978. The mechanism of creep in olivine. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A 288: 59–119.
- 1977. Cratering processes: As interpreted from the occurrence of impact melts. In Impact and explosion cratering, edited by RoddyD. J., PepinR. O., and MerrillR. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 791–814. , , and
- 1981. Constraints on the formation of ring impact structures, based on terrestrial data. In Multi-ring basins: Formation and evolution, edited by SchultzP. H. and MerrillR. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 37–59. , , and
- 1963. Thermal feedback in liquid flow: Plane shear at constant stress. Transactions of the Society of Rheology 7: 195–207.
- 1986. Brittle failure in compression: Splitting, faulting, and brittle-ductile transition. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A 31: 337–374. and
- 2002. Deep drilling results and numerical modeling: Puchezh-Katunki impact crater, Russia (abstract #1286). 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM.
- 1997. Implementation of dynamic strength models into 2D hydrocodes: Applications for atmospheric break-up and impact cratering. International Journal of Impact Engineering 17: 375–386. , , and
- 2002. Numerical modeling of the formation of large impact craters. In Catastrophic events and mass extinctions: Impact and beyond. Special Paper 356. Washington D.C.: Geological Society of America. pp. 619–630. and
- 1999. Sudbury impact event: Cratering mechanics and thermal history. In Large meteorite impacts and planetary evolution II, edited by DesslerB. and GrieveR. A. F. Special Paper 339. Washington D.C.: Geological Society of America. pp. 389–397. and
- 1997. Block oscillation model for impact crater collapse (abstract #1655). 27th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and
- 1993. An improved computational constitutive model for brittle materials. In High-pressure science and technology: 1993, edited by SchmidtS. C., ShanerJ. W., SamaraG. A., and RossM. Woodbury: AIP Press. pp. 981–984. and
- 1969. Fundamentals of rock mechanics London: Chapman and Hall. and
- 1961. Depth and spacing of tension cracks. Journal of Geophysical Research 66: 4273–4292.
- 1981. Breccia dikes: Geological constraints on the formation of complex craters. In Multi-ring basins: Formation and evolution, edited by SchultzP. H. and MerrillR. B. New York: Pergamon Press. pp. 59–78.
- 1995. Rock failure. In Rock physics and phase relations: A handbook of physical constants, edited by AhrensT. J. Washington D.C.: American Geophysical Union. pp. 127–147.
- 1968. Strength of rock-like materials. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 5: 427–454.
- 1979. Acoustic fluidization: A new geologic process Journal of Geophysical Research 84: 7513–7520.
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 2003. Mechanics of pseudotachylite formation during impact events. Proceedings, 2002 Impact Tectonism Workshop.
- 1999. Impact crater collapse. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 27: 385–415. and
- 1992. Dynamic fragmentation in impacts: Hydrocode simulation of laboratory impacts. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 14735–14759. , , and
- 2000. Peak-ring formation in large impact craters. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 183: 347–354. , , , , and
- 1995. A shear failure strength law of rock in the brittle-plastic transition regime. Geophysical Research Letters 22: 25–28.
- 1993. Planetary cratering mechanics. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 17011–17028. and
- 1999. Complex craters: Relationship of stratigraphy and rings to the impact conditions. Journal of Geophysical Research 10: 27091–27104. and
- 2001. Damage and rock-volatile mixture effects on impact crater formation. International Journal of Impact Engineering 26: 543–553. , , , and
- 1994. Gravity and magnetic field modeling and structure of the Chicxulub crater, Mexico. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 13147–13162. , , and
- 1994. Plastic rheology of crystals. In Mineral physics and crystallography: A handbook of physical constants, edited by AhrensT. J. Washington D.C.: American Geophysical Union. pp. 237–247.
- 1885. On the dilatancy of media composed of rigid particles in contact. With experimental illustrations. Philosophical Magazine Letters 20: 469–549.
- 1976. The localization of plastic deformation. Proceedings, 14th International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics. pp. 207–220.
- 2000. Mechanical and numerical modeling of a porous elastic-viscoplastic material with tensile failure. International Journal of Solids and Structures 37: 1841–1871. , , and
- 2002. The mechanics of earthquakes and faulting Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 471.
- 1995. Limits to relief. Science 270: 617–620. and
- 1998. Localized shock- and friction-induced melting in response to hypervelocity impact. In Meteorites: Flux with time and impact effects, edited by GradyM. M., HutchisonR., McCallG. J. H., and RotherbyD. A. Special Publication 140. London: Geological Society. pp. 171–180.
- 1974. Friction in faulted rock at high temperature and pressure. Tectonophysics 23: 177–203. , , , and
- 1982. Geodynamics: Applications of continuum physics to geological problems New York: John Wiley & Sons. 464 p. and
- 2003. Numerical modelling of the impact crater depth-diameter dependence in an acoustically fluidized target. Planetary and Space Science 51: 831–845. and