Dynamic tensile strength of terrestrial rocks and application to impact cratering
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
2004 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 233–246, February 2004
How to Cite
Ai, H.-A. and Ahrens, T. J. (2004), Dynamic tensile strength of terrestrial rocks and application to impact cratering. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 39: 233–246. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2004.tb00338.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received: 7 July 2003; revision accepted: 15 January 2004
- 1975. A seismic refraction technique used for subsurface investigations at Meteor Crater, Arizona. Journal of Geophysical Research 80: 765–775. , , and
- 1993. Impact-induced tensional failure in rock. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 1185–1203. and
- 1964. Shock compression of crustal rocks; Data for quartz, calcite, and plagioclase rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research 69: 4839–4874. and
- 1987. Impact on the earth, ocean, and atmosphere. International Journal of Impact Engineering 5: 13–32. and
- 2002. Depth of cracking beneath impact craters: New constraint for impact velocity. In Shock-compression of condensed matter, edited by FurnishM. D., ThadhaniN. N., and HorieY. New York: American Institute of Physics. pp. 1393–1396. , , and
- 1974. The effect of oriented cracks on seismic velocities. Journal of Geophysical Research 79: 4011–4015. , , and
- 1960. The velocity of compression waves in rocks to 10 kilobars, 1. Journal of Geophysical Research 65: 1083–1102.
- 1978. Explosively produced fracture of oil shale. Progress Report LA-7357-PR. Los Alamos: Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1981. Dynamic tensile strength of lunar rock types. Journal of Geophysical Research 86: 1794–1802. and
- 1998. Shock-wave compression of brittle solids. Mechanics of Materials 29: 181–203.
- 1980. Criteria for impulsive rock fracture. Geophysical Research Letters 7: 255–258. and
- 1979. Dynamic fracture strength of rock. Geophysical Research Letters 6: 73–76. and
- 1998. Petrophysical and mineralogical studies of Burnt sandstones. 2nd International Ph.D. Symposium in Civil Engineering. and
- 1991. Ultrasonics fundamentals and applications New York: Elsevier Science Publishers Ltd.
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary sciences. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 21: 333–373.
- 2003. Does melt volume give the signature of the impactor? Workshop of “Impact cratering: Bridging the gap between modeling and observations.” LPI Contribution No. 1155. p. 33.
- 1990. On the fragmentation of asteroids and planetary satellites. Icarus 84: 226–253. and
- 2002. Elastic wave propagation in and permeability for rocks with multiple parallel fractures. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Science 39: 1033–1043.
- 1983. The dynamic tensile strength of ice and ice-silicate mixtures. Journal of Geophysical Research 88: 1197–1208. and
- 1984. Impact-cratering and spall fracture of gabbro. Icarus 58: 383–395. , , and
- 1977. Why is a minor planet minor. Nature 270: 506–507. and
- 1967. Hugoniot equation of state of twelve rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research 72: 4999–5036. , , and
- 1989. Impact cratering, Ageological process New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1977. Determination of dynamic fracture parameters for oil shale, final report to Sandia Laboratories. Report PYD-5046. Stanford Research Institute. , , , , and
- 1982. Seismic velocity anisotropy in a medium containing oriented cracks-transversely isotropic case. Journal of Physics of the Earth 30: 331–347.
- 1971. Effects of stress on velocity anisotropy in rocks with cracks. Journal of Geophysical Research 76: 2022–2034.
- 1974. Seismic velocities in dry and saturated cracked solids. Journal of Geophysical Research 79: 5412–5426. and
- 1976. Impact ejecta on the Moon. Proceedings, 7th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 3007–3025. and
- 2001. Damage and rock-volatile mixture effects on impact crater formation. International Journal of Impact Engineering 26: 543–553. , , , and
- 1997. A reevaluation of impact melt production. Icarus 127: 408–423. , , and
- 1990. Impact spallation experiements: Fracture patterns and spall velocities. Icarus 87: 140–155. and
- 1994. Scaling craters in carbonates: Electron paramagnetic resonance analysis of shock damage. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 5621–5638. and
- 1980. Computer code simulations of the formation of Meteor Crater, Arizona: Calculations MC-1 and MC-2. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2275–2308. , , , and
- 1968. The semi-infinite body subjected to a concentrated impact load on the surface. Bulletin of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 11: 983–992. and
- 1971. A shock wave study of Coconino Sandstone. NASA Report CR-1842. , , and
- 1963. Impact mechanics at Meteor Crater, Arizona. In The solar system, vol. 4. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. pp. 301–336.
- 2001. Impact induced damage beneath craters. Geophysical Research Letters 28: 3525–3527. and
- 1985. Propagation of acoustic waves through cracks rock. In Rock masses, edited by AshworthE. and BalkemaA. A. Boston pp. 739–745. and