Target rocks, impact glasses, and melt rocks from the Lonar impact crater, India: Petrography and geochemistry
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2005 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 40, Issue 9-10, pages 1473–1492, October 2005
How to Cite
Osae, S., Misra, S., Koeberl, C., Sengupta, D. and Ghosh, S. (2005), Target rocks, impact glasses, and melt rocks from the Lonar impact crater, India: Petrography and geochemistry. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 40: 1473–1492. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2005.tb00413.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 01 February 2005; revision accepted 16 July 2005
- 1978. Some aspects of the geochemistry of Lonar lake water. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences 5: 111–118. and
- 1985. Geochemical stratigraphy of the Deccan traps at Mahabaleshwar, Western Ghats, India, with implications for open system magmatic processes. Journal of Petrology 26: 355–377. and
- 2003. On the ages of flood basalt events. Comptes Rendus Geosciences 335: 113–140. and
- 2004. Platinum-group elements in Deccan mafic rocks: A comparison of suites differentiated by Ir content. Chemical Geology 208: 273–291. and
- 1983. Circular structure Logancha as possible meteorite crater in basalts of the Tunguska syncline (abstract). 14th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 191–192. , , , and
- 1978. Identification and discrimination of altered and metamorphosed volcanic rocks using immobile elements. Chemical Geology 21: 291–306. and
- 1973. Lonar Lake, India: An impact crater in basalt. Science 180: 862–864. , , , and
- 1979. Petrology, mineralogy, and distribution of Lonar (India) and lunar impact breccias and glasses. Smithsonian Contributions to the Earth Sciences 22: 1–12. , , , , , and
- 1992. Tektite-like bodies at Lonar Crater, India? Very unlikely. Meteoritics 27: 99–100. and
- 1980. Morphology of Lonar Crater, India: Comparison and implications. The Moon and Planets 23: 493–515. , , , and
- 2003. Petrography and petrochemistry of impact melts from Lonar crater, Buldana District, Maharashtra, India. Indian Minerals 57: 1–26. and
- 1999. Evaluating the evolution of process specific degradation signatures around impact craters. International Journal of Impact Engineering 23: 331–340.
- 1993. Degradation of selected terrestrial and martian impact craters. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 11025–11042. and
- 1978. The petrochemistry of the melt rocks at Brent Crater and their implication for the condition of impact. Meteoritics 13: 484–487.
- 2003. Hydrothermal alteration at the Lonar Lake impact structure, India: Implications for impact cratering on Mars. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38: 365–381. and
- 1971. A guide to the chemical classification of the common volcanic rocks. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 8: 523–548. and
- 2004. Early fracturing and impact residue emplacement: Can modelling help to predict their location in major craters Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39: 247–265. , , , , , and
- 1976. Shocked basalt from Lonar impact crater, India, and experimental analogues. Proceedings, 7th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 1391–1412. , , , , , and
- 1993. Instrumental neutron activation analysis of geochemical and cosmochemical samples: A fast and proven method for small sample analysis. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 168: 47–60.
- 1998. Identification of meteoritical components in impactites. In Meteorites: Flux with time and impact effects, edited by Grady M. M. , Hutchison R. , McCall G. J. H. , and Rothery D. A. Special Publication #140. London: Geological Society of London. pp. 133–152.
- 1997. Target rocks and breccias from Ames impact structure, Oklahoma: Petrology, mineralogy, geochemistry, and age. In The Ames structure and similar features, edited by Johnson K. and Campbell J. Oklahoma Geological Survey Circular #100. Norman: Oklahoma Geological Survey. pp. 169–198. , , , , and
- 2004. Lonar impact crater, India: Occurrence of a basaltic suevite? (abstract #1751). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. (CD-ROM). , , , , , and
- 1964. Lonar Crater, India, a meteorite crater Meteoritics 2: 111–116. and
- 1988. Deccan traps. In Continental flood basalts, edited by Macdougall J. D. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishing. pp. 151–194.
- 1840. On the fossils of the eastern portion of the great basaltic district of India. Transactions of the Geological Society of London 5: 537–575.
- 2005. Geology of Lonar crater, India: An analog for martian impact craters (abstract #3046). 36th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. (CD-ROM). , , , and
- 1999. Impact structures of northeastern Eurasia: The territories of Russia and adjacent countries. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34: 691–711.
- 1987. Lonar Lake and co-linear carbonatites of Western India. Journal of the Geological Society of India 29: 344–348.
- 1978. Lonar Crater glasses and high-magnesium australites: Trace element volatilization and meteoritic contamination. Proceedings, 9th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2713–2730.
- 1987. Tektite-like bodies at Lonar Crater, India: Implications for the origin of tektites. Proceedings, 17th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Journal of Geophysical Research 92: E729–E735. , , and
- 1961. Origin of the Lonar Lake and its alkalinity. TISCO July: 144–155. and
- 1972. Glassy objects (impact glasses), a possible new evidence for meteoritic origin of Lonar Crater, Maharashtra State, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 14: 1–6.
- 1985. Trona in evaporite from the Lonar impact crater, Maharashtra. Indian Journal of Earth Sciences 12: 221–222.
- 1993. Maskelynite from the India impact crater at Lonar. Journal of the Geological Society of India 41: 307–312.
- 1844. Summary of the Geology of Southern India. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society 12: 20–42.
- 2002. Age and duration of the Deccan Traps, India: A review of radiometric and paleomagnetic constraints. Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences (Earth and Planetary Sciences) 111: 1–8.
- 1973. Tectonic setting of basic volcanic rocks determined using trace element analysis. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 19: 290–300. and
- 1979. Petrogenetic implications of Ti, Zr, Y, and Nb variations in volcanic rocks. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 69: 33–47. and
- 2004. Geology, petrography, shock petrography, and geochemistry of impactites and target rocks from the Kärdla crater, Estonia. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39: 425–452. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2002. 40Ar/39Ar dates from the West Siberian Basin: Siberian flood basalt province doubled. Science 296: 1846–1849. , , , , , , and
- 1994. Roter Kamm impact crater, Namibia: Geochemistry of basement rocks and breccias. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 58: 2689–2710. , , and
- 1998. Deccan basalts and its mineralogical alterations in the central and western peninsular India. Clay Research 17: 72–89. and
- 1986. Cosmic ray induced thermoluminescence in moon and meteorites and terrestrial dating applications. Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, India.
- 1988. Formation age of the Lonar Crater. 19th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1059–1060. and
- 1997. Formation age of Lonar Meteor Crater, India. Revista de Fisica Aplicada e Instrumentacao 12: 1–7. , , and
- 2004. Age of the Lonar impact crater, India: First results from fission track dating (abstract #1309). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. (CD-ROM). and
- 1978. A chemical study of the impact glasses and basalts from Lonar Crater, India. Meteoritics 13: 201–208. , , , and
- 1985. Lonar Crater, India: A crypto-volcanic origin. Journal of the Geological Society of India 26: 326–335.
- 1958. Deccan basalts in the Bombay area. Bulletin of the Geological Society of America 69: 1475–1494. and
- 1985. The continental crust: Its composition and evolution London: Blackwell. 312 p. and
- 1987. The geochemistry of Indian bole horizons: Paleoenvironmental implications of Deccan intravolcanic palaeosurfaces. In Paleosurfaces: Recognition, reconstruction and palaeoenvironmental interpretation, edited by Widdowson M. Special Publication 210. London: Geological Society. pp. 269–281. , , and
- 2000. A post K-T boundary (early Palaeocene) age for Deccan-type feeder dykes, Goa, India. Journal of Petrology 41: 1177–1194. , , and