Martian perched craters and large ejecta volume: Evidence for episodes of deflation in the northern lowlands
Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
2006 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 41, Issue 10, pages 1647–1658, October 2006
How to Cite
Meresse, S., Costard, F., Mangold, N., Baratoux, D. and Boyce, J. M. (2006), Martian perched craters and large ejecta volume: Evidence for episodes of deflation in the northern lowlands. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 41: 1647–1658. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2006.tb00442.x
- Issue online: 26 JAN 2010
- Version of Record online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 28 October 2005; revision accepted 30 June 2006
- 2005. Long-term wind erosion on Mars. Icarus 176: 57–74. and
- 1991. Ancient oceans, ice sheets, and the hydrological cycle on Mars. Nature 352: 589–594. , , , , , and
- 2005. Properties of lobate ejecta in Syrtis Major, Mars: Implications for the mechanisms of formation. Journal of Geophysical Research 110, doi:10.1029/2004JE002314. , , , and
- 1990. Martian impact craters: Correlations of ejecta and interior morphologies with diameter, latitude, and terrain. Icarus 87: 156–179. and
- 2000. Standardizing the nomenclature of Martian impact crater ejecta morphologies. Journal of Geophysical Research 105: 26,733–26,738.
- 2003. Martian impact crater ejecta morphologies as indicators of the distribution of subsurface volatiles. Journal of Geophysical Research 108, doi:10.1029/2000JE002036. and
- 2005. Impact crater geometries provide evidence for ice-rich layers at low latitudes on Mars. (abstract #3044). Workshop on the Role of Volatiles and Atmospheres. CD-ROM. and
- 2005. Ancient oceans in the northern lowlands of Mars: Evidence from impact crater depth/diameter relationships. Journal of Geophysical Research 110, doi:10.1029/2004JE002328. , , and
- Test and verification of the IMPACT program for measurement of Martian crater topography. Icarus.. , , and Forthcoming.
- 2002. Distribution of hydrogen in the near surface of Mars: Evidence for subsurface ice deposits. Science 297: 81–85. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1977. Martian impact craters and emplacement of ejecta by surface flow. Journal of Geophysical Research 82: 4055–4065. , , , , , and
- 2003. Oceans on Mars: An assessment of the observational evidence and possible fate. Journal of Geophysical Research 108, doi:10.1029/2002JE001963. and
- 1993. Ice in the northern lowlands and southern highlands of Mars and its enrichment beneath the Elysium lavas. Journal of Geophysical Research 98: 11,079–11,097.
- 1989. The spatial distribution of volatiles in the Martian hydrolithosphere. Earth, Moon, and Planets 45: 265–290.
- 1995. Outwash plains and thermokarst on Mars. Icarus 114: 93–112. and
- 2002. Formation of recent Martian debris flows by melting near-surface ground ice at high obliquity. Science 295: 110–113. , , , and
- 2002. Rootless cones on Mars: A consequence of lava-ground ice interaction. In Volcanoice interaction on Earth and Mars, edited by SmellieJ. L. and ChapmanM. G. London: Geological Society. pp. 295–317. , , and
- 2004. Crater degradation in the Martian highlands: Morphometric analysis of the Sinus Sabaeus region and simulation modeling suggest fluvial processes. Journal of Geophysical Research 109, doi:10.1029/2004JE002242. , , and
- 1979. Pseudocraters on Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 84: 8075–8086. , , and
- 1982. Subkilometer Martian volcanoes: Properties and possible terrestrial analogs. Journal of Geophysical Research 87: 9867–9879. and
- 1998. Geometric properties of Martian impact craters: Preliminary results from the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter. Geophysical Research Letters 25: 4405–4408. and
- 2000. North polar region craterforms on Mars: Geometric characteristics from the Mars Orbiter Laser Altimeter. Icarus 144: 329–352. , , , and
- 1978. Exploratory experiments of impact craters formed in viscous-liquid targets: Analog for rampart craters. Icarus 34: 486–495. and
- 1987. Wind as a geological process: On Earth, Mars, Venus and Titan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 348 p. and
- 2002. Northern lowlands of Mars: Evidence for widespread volcanic flooding and tectonic deformation in the Hesperian period. Journal of Geophysical Research 107, doi:10.1029/2000JE001445. , , and
- 2003. Recent ice ages on Mars. Nature 426: 797–802. , , , , and
- 1995. Chaotic obliquity and the nature of the Martian climate. Journal of Geophysical Research 100: 1579–1584. , , and
- 2002a. Mars: Nature and evolution of young latitude-dependent water-ice-rich mantle. Geophysical Research Letters 29, doi:10.1029/2002GL015392. and
- 2002b. Fate of outflow channel effluents in the northern lowlands of Mars: The Vastitas Borealis Formation as a sublimation residue from frozen ponded bodies of water. Journal of Geophysical Research 107, doi:10.1029/2001JE001831. and
- 2004. Long-term evolution and chaotic diffusion of the insolation quantities of Mars. Icarus 170: 343–364. , , , , , and
- 1986. Sedimentary deposits in the northern lowland plains, Mars. Proceedings, 17th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. E116–E174. , , and
- 2002. High latitude patterned grounds on Mars: Evidence for recent melting of nearsurface ground ice (abstract #1219). 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , ,
- 2004. Spatial relationships between patterned ground and ground ice detected by the neutron spectrometer on Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 109, doi:10.1029/2004JE002235. , , , , and
- 1985. Age and origin of large Martian polygons (abstract). 16th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 534–535.
- 2000. High-resolution thermal inertia mapping from the Mars Global Surveyor Thermal Emission Spectrometer. Icarus 148: 437–455. , , , and
- 2001. Thermal inertia and rock abundance (abstract). Exploring Mars with TES: A data user's workshop.
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. New York: Oxford University Press. 253 p.
- 2004. Caractérisation morphométriques des cratères d'impact à ejecta lobés sur Mars à partir des données altimétriques. Masters thesis. Université Paris XI -Orsay, France. , , , and
- 2005a. Evidence for removal episode on northern plains from the Martian fluidized ejecta volume (abstract #1748). 36th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 2005b. Perched craters and episodes of sublimation on northern plains. (abstract #3001). Workshop on the Role of Volatiles and Atmospheres on Martian Impact Craters. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 2003. On the orbital forcing of Martian water and CO2 cycles: A general circulation model study with simplified volatile schemes. Journal of Geophysical Research 108, doi:10.1029/2003JE002051. , , , and
- 1979. Martian fluidized crater morphology: Variations with crater size, latitude, altitude and target material. Journal of Geophysical Research 84: 8011–8022.
- 2004. Geometry of Martian impact craters: First results from an interactive software package. Journal of Geophysical Research 109, doi:10.1029/2003JE002147. , , , , and
- 2001. Evidence for recent climate change on Mars from the identification of youthful near-surface ground ice. Nature 412: 411–414. , , and
- 1989. Transitional morphology in the west Deuteronilus Mensae region of Mars: Implications for modification of the uplands/lowlands boundary. Icarus 82: 111–145. , , and
- 1980. Estimation of thickness of the Tharsis lava flows and implications for the nature of the topography of the Tharsis plateau. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 2423–2436. and
- 2005. Global thermal inertia and surface properties of Mars from the MGS mapping mission. Icarus 173: 325–341. , , , and
- 1975. Fluid transport on Earth and aeolian transport on Mars. Icarus 26: 209–218. and
- 1979. Atmospheric effects on Martian ejecta emplacement. Journal of Geophysical Research 84: 7669–7687. and
- 1992. Atmospheric effects on ejecta emplacement. Journal of Geophysical Research 97: 11,623–11,662.
- 1986. Geologic map of the western equatorial region of Mars. U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigations Map I-1802-A. Scale 1:1,500,000. and
- 1973. Mariner 9 observation of the surface of Mars in the north polar region. Journal of Geophysical Research 78: 4197–4210. , , , and
- 1979. The distribution of lobate debris aprons and similar flows on Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 84: 8087–8096.
- 1992. Volatiles in the Martian regolith. In Mars, edited by KiefferH. H., JakoskyB. M., SnyderC., and MatthewsM. S. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 523–554. , , , , and
- 2006. Martian subsurface properties and crater formation processes inferred from impact crater geometries. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41. This issue. and
- 1987. Geologic map of the polar region of Mars. U.S. Geological Survey Miscellaneous Investigations Map I-1802-C. Scale 1:1,500,000. and
- 2002. Resurfacing of the northern plains of Mars by shallow subsurface, volatile-driven activity (abstract #1406). 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and
- 2005. Geology and insolation-driven climatic history of Amazonian north polar materials on Mars. Nature 437: 991–994.
- 2004. Martian surface properties: Inferences from resolved differences in crater geometries (abstract #1293). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and
- 1989. Concentric crater fill on Mars: An aeolian alternative to ice-rich mass wasting. Proceedings, 19th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 397–407. , , and