Tsunami generation and propagation from the Mjølnir asteroid impact
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2007 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 42, Issue 9, pages 1473–1493, September 2007
How to Cite
Glimsdal, S., Pedersen, G. K., Langtangen, H. P., Shuvalov, V. and Dypvik, H. (2007), Tsunami generation and propagation from the Mjølnir asteroid impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 42: 1473–1493. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2007.tb00586.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 20 March 2006; revision accepted 12 January 2007
- 2002. Shock metamorphism on the ocean floor (numerical simulations). Deep Sea Research II 4: 959–968. and
- 1988. A tsunami deposit at the Cretaceous-Tertiary boundary in Texas. Science 241: 567–570. , , , and
- 2003. Parallel computing in Diffpack. In Advanced topics in computational partial differential equations—Numerical methods and Diffpack programming, edited by LangtangenH. P. and TveitoA. Berlin: Springer. pp. 1–56. , , , and
- 1995. Integrals with a large parameter: Water waves on finite depth due to an impulse. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 450: 67–87. , , and
- 2001. A fast method for fully nonlinear water wave computations. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 447: 337–355. and
- 1998. Modeling asteroid impact and tsunami. Science of Tsunami Hazards 16: 21–30. and
- 1992. An efficient surface-integral algorithm applied to unsteady gravity waves. Journal of Computational Physics 103: 90–115.
- 1996. Mjølnir structure: An impact crater in the Barents Sea. Geology 24: 779–782. , , , , , , , , and
- 2003. Sedimentary signatures and processes during marine bolide impacts: A review. Sedimentary Geology 161: 308–341. and
- 2004a. Impacts into marine and icy environments—A short review. In Cratering in marine environments and on ice, edited by DypvikH., BurchellM., and ClaeysP. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. pp. 1–20. , , and
- 2004b. Postimpact sedimentation in the Mjølnir crater. Sedimentary Geology 168: 227–247. , , , and
- Did the Mjølnir asteroid impact ignite Barents Sea hydrocarbon source rocks Geological Society of America. , , , and Forthcoming.
- 2005. An efficient model for three-dimensional surface wave simulations: Part I: Free space problems. Journal of Computational Physics 205: 665–685. , , , and
- 1982. Laboratory simulation of pelagic asteroidal impact: Atmospheric injection, benthic topography, and the surface wave radiation field. In Geological implications of impacts of large asteroids and comets on the Earth, edited by SilverL. T. and SchultzP. H. GSA Special Paper #190. Boulder, Colorado: Geological Society of America. pp. 69–92. and
- 2002. Oceanic impacts—A growing field of fundamental science. Deep Sea Research II 49: 951–957. , , , and
- 2003. Two- and three-dimensional simulations of asteroid ocean impacts. Science of Tsunami Hazards 21: 119–134. , , , and
- 2004. Two- and three-dimensional asteroid impact simulations. Computing in Science and Engineering 6: 46–55. , , , and
- 1995. The record of terrestrial impact cratering. GSA Today 5: 193–196. , , , and
- 2002. On four highly nonlinear phenomena in wave theory and marine hydrodynamics. Applied Ocean Research 24: 261–274.
- 1993. Large impact crater in the Barents Sea. Geology 21: 291–294.
- 2004. Transverse instability of surface solitary waves. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 512: 211–221. and
- 2000. Boussinesq modeling of wave transformation, breaking, and runup. Part I: 1D. Journal of Waterwaves, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering 126: 39–47. , , , and
- 1978. Korteweg-de Vries soliton in a slowly varying medium. Physical Review Letters 40: 233–236. and
- 2005. Offshore breaking of impact tsunami: The Van Dorn effect revisited. Geophysical Research Letters 32, doi: 10.1029/2004GL021918. and
- 1976. Movement of solitary and periodic waves with an amplitude close to the limiting in a liquid layer of slowly varying depth. Fluid Dynamics 11: 884–893. and
- 1981. High noble metal concentrations in a late Pliocene sediment. Nature 292: 417–420. , , and
- 1998. Computational models for weakly dispersive nonlinear water waves. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 160: 337–358. and
- 2002. Modeling wave run-up with depth-integrated equations. Coastal Engineering 46: 89–107. , , and
- 1989. The applied dynamics of ocean surface waves. London: World Scientific. 740 p.
- 1977. Diffraction of solitary waves. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics 28: 889–902.
- 1980. Solitary waves. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 12: 11–43.
- 1994. Nonlinear modulations of solitary waves. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 267: 83–108.
- 1996. Refraction of solitons and wave jumps. In Waves and nonlinear processes in hydrodynamics, edited by GjevikB., GrueJ., and WeberJ. E. Dordrecht, The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. pp. 139–150.
- 2005. Variable depth and the validity of Boussinesq-type models. Preprint Series in Mechanics and Applied Mathematics, vol. 2005, no. 2. Oslo, Norway: Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo, Norway.
- 1966. Calculations of the development of an undular bore. Journal of Fluid Mechanics 25: 321–330.
- 1976. Interaction of water waves and currents. Advances in Applied Mechanics 16: 10–117.
- 1976. Behaviour of perturbations of solitary and periodic waves on the surface of a heavy liquid. Fluid Dynamics 11: 778–781.
- 1845. Report on waves. Report of the 14th Meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, York, September 1844 (London 1845). pp. 311–390, plates XLVII-LVI.
- 1999. 3-D hydrodynamic code SOVA for multimaterial flows, application to Shoemaker Levy 9 comet impact problem. International Journal of Impact Engineering 23: 847–858. , , and
- 2002. Numerical simulations of the Mjølnir marine impact crater. Journal of Geophysical Research 107, doi:10.1029/2001JE001698. , , and
- 2003. Numerical modeling of the Eltanin impact (abstract #1101). 34th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM.
- 2004. Ejecta formation and crater development of the Mjølnir impact. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39: 467–479. and
- 2001. Mjølnir (Barents Sea) meteorite impact ejecta offers a Volgian-Ryazanian boundary marker. Newsletter on Stratigraphy 38: 129–140. , , , , , and
- 2005. The sweet aftermath: Environmental changes and biotic restoration following the marine Mjølnir impact (Volgian-Ryazanian boundary, Barents shelf). In Biological processes associated with impact events, edited by CockellC. S., KoeberlC., and GilmourI. Berlin: Springer. pp. 144–175. and
- 1996. Clastic sandstone complex at the K/T boundary around the Gulf of Mexico: Deposition by tsunami waves induced by the Chicxulub impact? GSA Special Paper #307. Boulder, Colorado: Geological Society of America. pp. 151–182. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Evolution of maximum amplitude of solitary waves on plane beaches. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering 119: 323–342. and
- 1986. The stability of solitary waves. Physics of Fluids 29: 650–655.
- 1998. The anatomy of a buried complex impact structure: The Mjølnir structure. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 30, 469–30, 484. , , and
- 2004. Mjølnir crater as a result of an oblique impact: Asymmetry evidence constrains impact direction and angle. In Impact studies (impact tectonism), edited by HenkelH. and KoeberlC. Berlin-Heidelberg: Springer. pp. 285–306.
- USGS. (U.S. Geological Survey). http:www.usgs.gov. Accessed 11 May 2006.
- 1968. Handbook of explosion-generated water waves. Report #TC-130, Tetra Tech Inc., Pasadena, California. , , and
- 2000. Asteroid impact tsunami: A probabilistic hazard assessment. Icarus 145: 64–78. and
- 2002. Impact tsunami—Eltanin. Deep Sea Research II 49: 1073–1080. and
- 2003. Oceanic impacts, tsunamis, and the influence of the water depth on the quantity and characteristics of the generated waves (abstract #4081). Third International Conference on Large Meteorite Impacts. CD-ROM. , , and
- 2006. Numerical modeling of generation, propagation, and run-up of tsunamis cause by oceanic impacts: Model strategy and technical solutions. Geophysical Journal International 167: 77–88. , , and
- 2001. A preliminary search for evidence of impact-related burning near the Mjølnir impact structure, Barents Sea (abstract #1332). 32nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1991. The run-up of nonbreaking and breaking solitary waves. Coastal Engineering 15: 205–246.