Experimental impacts into chondritic targets, part I: Disruption of an L6 chondrite by multiple impacts
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2008 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 43, Issue 4, pages 771–803, April 2008
How to Cite
CINTALA, M. J. and HöRZ, F. (2008), Experimental impacts into chondritic targets, part I: Disruption of an L6 chondrite by multiple impacts. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 43: 771–803. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2008.tb00684.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 29 December 2006; revision accepted 11 July 2007
- 1998. Disruption of kilometre-sized asteroids by energetic collisions. Nature 393: 437–440. , , , , and
- 2002. Investigation of the effects of shock duration and grain size on ejecta excavation and crater growth (abstract # 1738). 33rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 2003. Stony meteorite porosities and densities: A review of the data through 2001. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38: 1161–1180. and
- 1994. Impact simulations with fracture: I. Method and tests. Icarus 107: 98–116. and
- 1986. Simulation of catastrophic fragmentation events: A review of the accelerating techniques and a resume of the experiments performed until now. International Workshop on Catastrophic Disruption of Asteroids and Satellites. pp. 13–45.
- 1999. Giant craters on Mathilde. Icarus 140: 34–48. and
- 1984. Catastrophic rupture experiments: Fragment-size analysis and energy considerations (abstract). 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 158–159. and
- 1988. The effects of impact velocity on the evolution of experimental regoliths. Proceedings, 18th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 409–422. and
- 1990. Mineral-dependent comminution during impact cratering (abstract). 21st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 190–191. and
- 1992. An experimental evaluation of mineral-specific comminution. Meteoritics 27: 395–403. and
- 1984. Regolith evolution experiments I: Grain-size evolution (abstract). 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 160–161. , , , , and
- 2004. Generation of an ordinary-chondrite “regolith” by repetitive impact (abstract #1911). 35th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , and
- 1993. Impact comminution of glasses: Implications for lunar regolith evolution (abstract). 24th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 293–294. , , and
- 1998. The density and porosity of meteorites from the Vatican collection. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33: 1231–1241. and
- 1998. The porosities of ordinary chondrites: Models and interpretation. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33: 1221–1229. , and
- 1990. On collisional disruption: Experimental results and scaling laws. Icarus 83: 156–182. and
- 2004. Chemical and mineralogical size segregation in the impact disruption of inhomogeneous, anhydrous meteorites. Planetary and Space Science 52: 1129–1140. and
- 1999. Density and porosity of stone meteorites: Implications for the density, porosity, cratering, and collisional disruption of asteroids. Icarus 142: 97–105. , , and
- 1980. On the mechanism of catastrophic destruction of minor planets by high-velocity impact. Icarus 41: 356–364.
- 1977. Destruction of basaltic bodies by high-velocity impact. Icarus 31: 277–288. , , and
- 1989. Experiments and scaling laws for catastrophic collisions. In Asteroids II, edited by BinzelR. P., GehrelsT., and MatthewsM. S. Tucson, Arizona: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 240–265. , , , , , , and
- 1973. Displaced mass, depth, diameter, and effects of oblique trajectories for impact craters formed in dense crystalline rocks. The Moon 6: 32–44.
- 1963. The partition of energy for hypervelocity impact craters formed in rock. Proceedings, 6th Hypervelocity Impact Symposium. pp. 419–456. and
- 1969. The destruction of tektites by micrometeoroid impact. Journal of Geophysical Research 74: 6780–6794. and
- 1972. Effects of microcratering on the lunar surface. Proceedings, 3rd Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2713–2734. , , and
- 1977. Impact cratering and regolith dynamics. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 10: 3–15.
- 1971. Microcraters on lunar rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research 76: 5770–5798. , , and
- 1974. Micrometeoroid abrasion of lunar rocks: A Monte Carlo simulation. Proceedings, 5th Lunar Science Conference. pp. 2397–2412. , , and
- 1975. Catastrophic rupture of lunar rocks: A Monte Carlo simulation. The Moon 13: 235–258. , , , , and
- 1997. Impact experiments related to the evolution of planetary regoliths. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32: 179–209. and
- 1984. Grain size evolution and fractionation trends in an experimental regolith. Proceedings, 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. C183–C196. , , , , and
- 1985. Collisional fragmentation of granodiorite targets by multiple impact events (abstract). 16th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 364–365. , , , , and
- 1995. Penetration experiments in aluminum 1100 targets using soda-lime glass projectiles. NASA Technical Report TM-104813. 328 p. , , , , , , , and
- 2005. Shock-melting of ordinary chondrite powders and implications for asteroidal regoliths. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40: 1329–1346. , , , and
- 1990. On the fragmentation of asteroids and planetary satellites. Icarus 84: 226–253. and
- 1999. Scale effects in strength-dominated collisions of rocky asteroids. Icarus 142: 21–33. and
- 2003. Impact cratering on porous asteroids. Icarus 163: 102–119. and
- 1980. LASL shock Hugoniot data. Berkeley: University of California Press. 658 p.
- 1994. Catastrophic disruption experiments: Recent results. Planetary and Space Science 42: 1013–1026. , , , and
- 1982. Laboratory simulation of planetesimal collision. Journal of Geophysical Research 87: 10,968–910,982. , , , and
- 1984. Destruction of rocks by low-velocity impact and its implications for accretion and fragmentation processes of planetesimals. Proceedings, 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. B700–B706. , , and
- 1967. Hugoniot equation of state of twelve rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research 72: 4999–5036. , , and
- 1984. Impact ejection, spallation, and the origin of meteorites. Icarus 59: 234–260.
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. New York: Oxford University Press. 245 p.
- 1992. Velocity and spin of fragments from impact disruptions. I. An experimental approach to a general law between mass and velocity. Icarus 100: 127–135. , , and
- 1993. Laboratory studies on the velocity of fragments from impact disruptions. Ph.D. thesis, Kyoto University, Kyoto, Japan.
- 1975. The role of ballistic erosion and sedimentation in lunar stratigraphy. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics 13: 337–362.
- 1971. Cratering and the Moon's surface. In Advances in astronomy and astrophysics, edited by KopalZ. New York: Academic Press. pp. 108–337.
- 1982. The lunar regolith: Chemistry, mineralogy, and petrology. Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics 20: 761–826. , , and
- 1975. Stress transients in solids. Santa Fe, New Mexico: Hyperdynamics. 230 p.
- 1991. Collisional-disruption experiments: Analysis of identical impacts (abstract). 22nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1147–1148. , , and
- 1991. Impact experiments 3: Catastrophic fragmentation of aggregate targets and relation to asteroids. Icarus 94: 283–298. , , and
- 1999. A laboratory study of simulated Edgeworth-Kuiper belt objects. Icarus 142: 56–62. , , and
- 2003. Porosity and density of ordinary chondrites: Clues to the formation of friable and porous ordinary chondrites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 38: 1533–1546. , , , , and
- 2000. Bulk density of ordinary chondrite meteorites and implications for asteroidal internal structure. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35: 1203–1213. and
- 1983. Physical properties of ordinary chondrites. Journal of Geophysical Research 88: 9513–9533. and