The Carancas meteorite impact crater, Peru: Geologic surveying and modeling of crater formation and atmospheric passage
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2009 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 44, Issue 7, pages 985–1000, July 2009
How to Cite
KENKMANN, T., ARTEMIEVA, N. A., WÜNNEMANN, K., POELCHAU, M. H., ELBESHAUSEN, D. and PRADO, H. N. d. (2009), The Carancas meteorite impact crater, Peru: Geologic surveying and modeling of crater formation and atmospheric passage. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 44: 985–1000. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2009.tb00783.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Revision accepted 21 May 2009
- 1999. Scale dependency in rock strength. Engineering Geology 53: 25l–258. and
- 1967. Equations of state of rocks and minerals. Interim report to DASA under contract DA 49-146-XZ-462. General Dynamics Report #GA MD-7834.
- 1996. Interaction of shock waves during the passage of a disrupted meteoroid through the atmosphere. Shock Waves 5: 359–367. and
- 2001. Motion of a fragmented meteoroid through planetary atmosphere. Journal of Geophysical Research 106 E2: 3297–3309. and
- 2003. The formation of shatter cones by shock wave interference during impacting. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 216: 43–54. and
- 1989. The origin of the Moon and the single impact hypothesis, III. Icarus 81: 113–131. , , and
- 2003. Efficient disruption of small asteroids by Earth's atmosphere. Nature 424: 288–291. and
- 2006. The rate of small impacts on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41: 607–631. and
- 2008. The Carancas meteorite impact-Encounter with a monolithic meteoroid. Astronomy and Astrophysics 485: L1–L4. and
- 2002. The flux of small near-Earth objects colliding with the Earth. Nature 420: 294–296. , , , , and
- 2008. Analysis of a crater-forming meteorite impact in Peru. Journal of Geophysical Research 113: E09007, doi:10.1029/2008JE003105. , , , , , , , and
- 2008. Shock metamorphic features in Carancas crater, Peru (abstract). International Geological Congress Oslo 2008. , , , , , , and
- 1993. Atmospheric fragmentation of meteoroids. Astronomy & Astrophysics 279: 615–626. , , , and
- 2005. Fragmentation model of meteoroid motion, mass loss, and radiation in the atmosphere. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40: 35–54. and
- ChapmanC. R. and McKinnonW. B. 1986. Cratering of planetary satellites. In: Satellites, edited by BurnsJ. A. and MatthewsM. S. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 492–580.
- 1993. The 1908 Tunguska explosion: Atmospheric disruption of a stony asteroid. Nature 361: 40–44. , , and
- 2007. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 93, 2008 March. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43: 571–632. , , , , , , , and
- 1998. The porosity of ordinary chondrites: Models and interpretations. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 33: 1221–1229. , , and
- 2009. Scaling of oblique impacts in frictional targets: Implications for crater size and formation mechanisms. Icarus. In press. , , and
- 2008. Preliminary petrologic analysis of impact deformation in the Carancas (Peru) cratering event. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #2446. , , , and
- 1993. The scaling of impact processes in planetary science. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 21: 333–373.
- 2007. A crater and its ejecta: An interpretation of Deep Impact. Icarus 187: 345–356. and
- 1992. Mass and impact velocity of the meteorite formed the Sterlitamak crater in 1990 (abstract). 23rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 573–574. and
- 2008a. The Carancas event on September 15, 2007: Meteorite fall, impact conditions and crater characteristics. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #1094. , , and
- 2008b. The remarkable meteorite impact event on September 15, 2007, Carancas, Peru: What did we learn? Large Meteorite Impacts and Planetary Evolution IV, Parys, South Africa. , , , , , and
- 2008. Evidence of a meteoritic origin of the September 15th, 2007 Carancas crater. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43: 1797–1809. , , , , , , , , and
- 2007. The Carancas meteorite fall, 15 September 2007. Official INGEMMET initial report. http:www.ingemmet.gob.pe. and
- 2007. Multiple explosions durino cratering at Carancas meteorite hit in Peru. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #2027.
- 2002. Target Earth. Astronomy 30: 46–51.
- 2008. The meteorite fall in Carancas, Lake Titicaca region, southern Peru: First results. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #2555. , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1993. Planetary cratering mechanics. Journal of Geophysical Research 98, E9: 17011–17028. and
- 1983. Shock experiments on feldspar crystals. Journal of Geophysical Research 88: B364–B376.
- 1991. Meteorite Sterlitamak-A new crater forming fall (abstract). 22nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1059–1060. , , , , , and
- 2001. Mechanical properties of meteorites and their constituents. Journal of Material Science 36: 1579–1583.
- 2000. Understanding oblique impacts from experiments, observations, and modelling. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 28: 141–167. and
- PopovaO. P. and NemchinovI. V. 2002. Strength of large meteoroids entering Earth atmosphere. In Proceedings of Asteroids, Comets, Meteors-ACM 2002, edited by WarmbeinB. European Space Agency Special Paper 500. pp. 281–284.
- 1999. Effect of wetting and drying on soil physical properties. Journal of Terramechanics 36: 39–49. and
- 2008. Geomagnetic study of Carancas meteorite and its crater. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #1744. , , , and
- 1987. Some recent advances in the scaling of impact and explosion cratering. International Journal of Impact Engineering 5: 543–560. and
- 2008. Implications of the Carancas meteorite impact. 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Abstract #2409. , , , and
- SpurnýP. and PorubëanV. 2002. in Proceedings of Asteroids, Comets, Meteors-ACM 2002, edited by WarmbeinB. European Space Agency Special Paper 500. pp. 281–284.
- 2003. Photographic observations of the Neuschwanstein, a second meteorite from the orbit of the Př ríbram chondrite. Nature 423: 151–153. , , and
- 1998. Distributions and moments of asteroid and comet impact speeds upon the Earth and Mars. Planetary and Space Science 46: 473–478.
- 1994. Shock metamorphism of quartz in nature and experiment: I. Basic observation and theory. Meteoritics 29: 155–181. and
- 1995. Dynamical evolution of vapor clouds by oblique impacts on Venus (abstract). 26th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1369–1370. and
- 1995. Disintegration of large meteoroids in Earth's atmosphere: Theoretical models. Icarus 116: 131–153. , , and
- 2008a. What do we know about the “Carancas-Desaguadero” fireball, meteorite and impact crater? Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 39: abstract #1216. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2008b. The Carancas crater and meteorite fall: the first recorded impact on Earth. Asteroids, Comets, Meteors Conference. Abstract #8260. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1972. Improvements in the Chart D radiation-hydrodynamic code 3: Revised analytic equation of state: Report SC-RR-71 0714, Albuquerque, New Mexico, Sandia Laboratories. 119 p. and
- 1962. Metallic Equations of State for Hypervelocity Impact. General Atomic Division of General Dynamics Report GA-3216, San Diego, CA.
- 2006. The Villalbeto de la Pena meteorite fall: II. Determination of atmospheric trajectory and orbit. The rate of small impacts on Earth. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41: 505–517. , , , , , , and
- 1983. Connection of fragmentation and scattering of the Sikhote-Alin meteorite shower with meteorite structure. Solar System Research (Engl. Transl.) 17: 122–126.
- 1951. A statistical distribution function of wide applicability. Journal of Applied Mechanics 18: 140–147.
- 2006. A strain-based porosity model for use in hydrocode simulations of impacts and implications for transient crater growth in porous targets. Icarus 180: 514–527. , , and