Transformation textures, mechanisms of formation of high-pressure minerals in shock melt veins of L6 chondrites, and pressure-temperature conditions of the shock events
Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
2009 The Meteoritical Society
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 44, Issue 11, pages 1771–1786, November 2009
How to Cite
Ozawa, S., Ohtani, E., Miyahara, M., Suzuki, A., Kimura, M. and Ito, Y. (2009), Transformation textures, mechanisms of formation of high-pressure minerals in shock melt veins of L6 chondrites, and pressure-temperature conditions of the shock events. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 44: 1771–1786. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2009.tb01206.x
- Issue published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 26 JAN 2010
- Received 30 December 2008; revision accepted 25 July 2009
- 1995. Pressure-temperature phase diagram for the Allende meteorite. Journal of Geophysical Research 100: 17,725–17,740. , , , and
- 2004. Phase relations of a carbonaceous chondrite at lower mantle conditions. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 143–144: 421–432. , , and
- 2005. Lithium behavior during cooling of a dry basalt: An ion-microprobe study of the lunar meteorite Northwest Africa 479 (NWA 479). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69: 5597–5609. , , , , , and
- 2005. Time scales of shock processes in chondritic and Martian meteorites. Nature 435: 1071–1074. , , , and
- 1992. Mechanisms of the transformations between the α, β and γ polymorphs of Mg2SiO4 at 15 GPa. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 18: 343–358. , , and
- 1996. The majorite-pyrope + magnesiowüstite assemblage: Constraints on the history of shock veins in chondrites. Science 271: 1570–1573. , , , , and
- 2004. Ringwoodite lamellae in olivine: Clues to olivine-ringwoodite phase transition mechanisms in shocked meteorites and subducting slabs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 101: 15,033–15,037. , , and
- 2000. Shock-induced high-pressure phase transition of labradorite to hollandite “(Na47-Ca51-K2)” in Zagami and the assemblage hollandite “(Na80-Ca12-K8)”+ jadeite in L chondrites: constraints to peak shock pressures (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35: A51. , , , and
- 2008. Akimotoite in the Tenham meteorite: Crystal chemistry and high-pressure transformation mechanisms. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 275: 26–31. , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Natural NaAlSi3O8-hollandite in the shocked Sixiangkou meteorite. Science 287: 1633–1636. , , , and
- 2007. High-pressure mineral assemblages in shocked meteorites and shocked terrestrial rocks: Mechanisms of phase transformations and constraints to pressure and temperature histories. In Advances in high-pressure mineralogy, edited by OhtaniE. Boulder: The Geological Society of America. pp. 57–82. , , , and
- 1999. The Meteoritical Bulletin, No. 83, 1999 July. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34: A169–A186.
- 1994. Metastability of enstatite in deep subducting lithosphere. Nature 372: 351–353. , , , and
- 1989. Post-spinel transformations in the system Mg2SiO4-Fe2SiO4 and some geophysical implications. Journal of Geophysical Research 94: 10,637–10,646. and
- 1969. Jadeite: Shock-induced formation from oligoclase, Ries crater, Germany. Science 165: 1005–1008.
- 2001. Rheological structure and deformation of subducted slabs in the mantle transition zone: Implications for mantle circulation and deep earthquakes. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 127: 83–108. , , and
- 1989. The system Mg2SiO4-Fe2SiO4 at high pressures and temperatures: Precise determination of stabilities of olivine, modified spinel, and spinel. Journal of Geophysical Research 94: 15,663–15,670. and
- 1996. Intracrystalline transformation of olivine to wadsleyite and ringwoodite under subduction zone conditions. Science 274: 79–81. , , and
- 2000. Kinetics of intracrystalline olivine-ringwoodite transformation. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 121: 59–76. , , , , and
- 2000. Natural occurrence of high-pressure phases jadeite, hollandite, wadsleyite, and majorite-pyrope garnet in an H chondrite, Yamato 75100. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35: A87–A88. , , , , and
- 1996. Metastable mantle phase transformations and deep earthquakes in subducting oceanic lithosphere. Reviews in Geophysics 34: 261–306. , , , and
- 1998. Effects of water on the α-β transformation kinetics in San Carlos olivine. Science 281: 85–87. , , , , and
- 2004. Nucleation and growth kinetics of the α-β transformation in Mg2SiO4 determined by in situ synchrotron powder X-ray diffraction. American Mineralogist 89: 285–293. , , and
- 2008. Formation of jadeite from plagioclase: Constraints on the P-T-t conditions of shocked meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 43: A82. , , , , , , , and
- 1978. High-pressure phase transformations of albite, jadeite and nepheline. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 37: 438–444.
- 1983. Transmission electron microscope observation of α, β and γ (Mg, Fe)2SiO4 in shocked meteorites: Planar defects and polymorphic transitions. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 33: 31–44. and
- 2001. Description of new shock-induced phases in the Shergotty, Zagami, Nakhla, and Chassigny meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 36: 1297–1305. , , , and
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geological process. New York: Oxford University Press. 256 p.
- 2008. Evidence for fractional crystallization of wadsleyite and ringwoodite from olivine melts in chondrules entrained in shock-melt veins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 105: 8542–8547. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2000. Strength of (Mg,Fe)2SiO4 wadsleyite determined by relaxation of transformation stress. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 120: 63–78. , , , and
- 2001. Experimental constraints on the depth of olivine metastability in subducting lithosphere. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 127: 165–180. , , , , and
- 1991. Stability of majorite (Mg,Fe)SiO3 at high pressures and 1800 °C. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 102: 158–166. , , and
- 2004. Formation of high-pressure minerals in shocked L6 chondrite Yamato 791384: Constraints on shock conditions and parent body size. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 227: 505–515. , , , , , and
- 1983. The nature and significance of stacking faults in wadsleyite, natural β-(Mg,Fe)2SiO4 from the Peace River Meteorite. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 33: 137–147.
- 1983. Wadsleyite, natural β-(Mg,Fe)2SiO4 from the Peace River meteorite. Canadian Mineralogist 21: 29–35. , , , and
- 1979. High-pressure (Mg,Fe)2SiO4 phases in the Tenham chondritic meteorite. Nature 280: 217–218. and
- 1997. Grain-size evolution in subducted oceanic lithosphere associated with the olivine-spinel transformation and its effects on rheology. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 148: 27–43. and
- 1984. The olivine-spinel transformation and the rheology of subducting lithosphere. Nature 308: 505–508.
- 1994. Kinetics of olivine-spinel transformation in subducting lithosphere: Experimental constraints and implications for deep slab processes. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 86: 223–241. and
- 2000. Shock experiments with the H6 chondrite Kernouvé: Pressure calibration of microscopic shock effects. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35: 545–560.
- 2006. Shock effects in meteorites. In Meteorites and the early solar system II, edited by LaurettaD. S. and McSweenH. Y. Tucson: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 653–677. and
- 1970. Pyroxene-garnet transformation in Coorara meteorite. Science 168: 832–833. and
- 1991. Shock metamorphism of ordinary chondrites. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 55: 3845–3867. , , and
- 1976. Kinetics of high pressure phase transitions: implications to the evolution of the olivine-spinel transition in the downgoing lithosphere and its consequences on the dynamics of the mantle. Tectonophysics 31: 1–32. and
- 2007. A model for the shear mechanism in the enstatite-akimotoite phase transition. Journal of Mineralogical and Petrological Sciences 102: 226–232.
- 1997. Natural (Mg,Fe)SiO3-ilmenite and perovskite in the Tenham meteorite. Science 277: 1084–1086. and
- 1999. Akimotoite, (Mg,Fe)SiO3, a new silicate mineral of the ilmenite group in the Tenham chondrite. American Mineralogist 84: 267–271. and
- 2000. Shock-induced transition of NaAlSi3O8 feldspar into a hollandite structure in a L6 chondrite. Geophysical Research Letters 27: 3997–4000. , , and
- 2007. Formation of end-member NaAlSi3O8 hollandite-type structure (lingunite) in diamond anvil cell. Physics of the Earth and Planetary Interiors 161: 143–149.
- 2001a. A comparative study of naturally and experimentally shocked chondrites. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 187: 345–356. , , , , and
- 2001b. Shock-related mineralogical features and P-T history of the Suizhou L6 chondrite. European Journal of Mineralogy 13: 1177–1190. , , and
- 2004. High-pressure phases in shock-induced melt veins of Umbarger L6 chondrite: Constraints of shock pressure. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 39: 2043–2054. and
- 2007. Host rock solid-state transformation in a shock-induced melt veins of Tenham L6 chondrite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 254: 433–445. and
- 2006. High-pressure phases in a shock-induced melt vein of the Tenham L6 chondrite: Constraints on shock pressure and duration. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 70: 504–515. , , and
- 1994. High pressure transitions in the system KAlSi3O8-NaAlSi3O8. Physics and Chemistry of Minerals 21: 12–17. , , and
- 1995. Catalog of Antarctic meteorites. Tokyo: National Institute of Polar Research. 230 p. and
- 1994. Melting experiments on anhydrous peridotite KLB-1 from 5.0 to 22.5 GPa. Journal of Geophysical Research 99: 17,729–17,742. and
- 2006. Pyroxene polymorphs in melt veins of the heavily shocked Sixiangkou L6 chondrite. European Journal of Mineralogy 18: 719–726. , , , and