Reflectance spectra of iron meteorites: Implications for spectral identification of their parent bodies
Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2010
© The Meteoritical Society, 2010
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 45, Issue 2, pages 304–332, February 2010
How to Cite
CLOUTIS, E. A., HARDERSEN, P. S., BISH, D. L., BAILEY, D. T., GAFFEY, M. J. and CRAIG, M. A. (2010), Reflectance spectra of iron meteorites: Implications for spectral identification of their parent bodies. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 45: 304–332. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01033.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 13 MAY 2010
- (Received 30 January 2009; revision accepted 23 November 2009)
- 1975. Fracture mechanism of Henbury meteorite by separation along the surface of shear faulting. Nature 256:635. and
- 1981. Carlsbergite, CrN, in troilite, FeS, of the Sikhote Alin meteoritic iron. Mineralogical Magazine 44:107–109. , , , and
- 2000. A petrologic study of IAB iron meteorites: Constraints on the formation of the IAB-winonaite parent body. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35:1127–1141. , , , and
- 1980. Complex shock-induced Fe-Ni-S-Cr-C melts in the Haig (IIIA) iron meteorite. Meteoritics 16:261–267. , , and
- 1977. Silicate inclusions in group IAB irons and a relation to the anomalous stones Winona and Mt. Morris (Wis.). Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 41:1439–1456.
- 1967. Experimental determination of the optical density of states in iron. Physical Review 158:514–523. , and
- 1983. Absorption and scattering of light by small particles. Weinheim, Germany: Wiley, 530 p. and
- 1978. Taxonomy of asteroids. Icarus 35:313–335. , , , , and
- 1971. Internal constitution and mechanisms of asteroid fragmentation. Proceedings, IAU Colloquium on Physical Studies of Minor Planets. NASA Special Publication 267. pp. 305–314.
- 1967. Cohenite: Its occurrence and a proposed origin. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 31:143–159.
- 1988. Bidirectional reflectance properties of iron-nickel meteorites. Proceedings, 18th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 503–512. and
- 1992. The reflectance spectrum of troilites (abstract). 23rd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 167–168. , , , and
- 1975. Handbook of iron meteorites. Los Angeles: University of California Press.
- 1977. The mineralogy of iron meteorites. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London A 286:453–491.
- 1971. First nitride (CrN) in iron meteorites. Nature 233:113–114. and
- 1986. The inverse peritectic phase transformation in the Fe-S system: Evidence for the remelting of troilite during cooling (abstract). Meteoritics 21:342. and
- 1970. Mineralogy and petrology of silicate inclusions in iron meteorites. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 25:297–340. , , and
- 1998. Spectral features of M-asteroids: 75 Eurydike and 201 Penelope. Icarus 131:32–40.
- 1977. Pallasite meteorites—Mineralogy, petrology and geochemistry. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 41:711–740.
- 1961. The effects of grain size, rate of strain, and neutron irradiation on the tensile strength of a-iron. In Response of metals to high velocity deformation, edited by ShewmonP. G. and ZackayV. F. New York: Interscience. pp. 51–76. and
- 2004. Spectroscopy of X-type asteroids. Astronomical Journal 128:3070–3081. , , , , and
- 2000. Diaspores and related hydroxides: Spectral-compositional properties and implications for Mars. Journal of Geophysical Research 105:7053–7070. and
- 1999. The spectral properties of troilite/pyrrhotite and implications for the E-asteroids (abstract #1875). 30th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. and
- 1990. Reflectance spectra of “featureless” materials and the surface mineralogies of M- and E-class asteroids. Journal of Geophysical Research 95:281–293. , , , and
- 2006. HOSERLab: A new planetary spectrophotometer facility (abstract #2121). 37th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and
- 2008. Ultraviolet spectral reflectance properties of common planetary materials. Icarus 197:321–347. , , , , , , , , and
- 1967. Comparative erosion rates of stone and iron meteorites under small-particle bombardment. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 31:1457–1471.
- 2008. New determination of the size and bulk density of the binary asteroid 22 Kalliope from observations of mutual eclipses. Icarus 195:578–600. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1977. The nature of asteroid surfaces, from optical polarimetry. In Comets, asteroids, meteorites: Interrelations, evolution and origins, edited by DelsemmeA. H. Toledo, OH: The University of Toledo Press. pp. 243–251. , , , and
- 1979. The nature of M-type asteroids from optical polarimetry. Icarus 37:124–132. , , and
- 1992. M-type asteroids: Rotational properties of 16 objects. Astronomy and Astrophysics Supplement Series 95:195–211. , , , , , , and
- 1923. Neumann bands as evidence of action of explosives upon metal. Transactions of the AIME 68:891–915. and
- 1995. Dynamical properties measurements from asteroid, comet and meteorite material applicable to impact modeling and mitigation calculations. International Journal of Impact Engineering 17:341–352. , , , and
- 1974. A systematic study of the spectral reflectivity characteristics of the meteorite classes with applications to the interpretation of asteroid spectra for mineralogical and petrological information. Ph.D. thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
- 1976. Spectral reflectance characteristics of the meteorite classes. Journal of Geophysical Research 81:905–920.
- 1978. Asteroid surface materials: Mineralogical characterizations from reflectance spectra. Space Science Reviews 21:555–628. and
- 2002. Mineralogy of asteroids. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F. Jr., CellinoA., PaolicchiP. and BinzelR. P. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 183–204. , , , and
- 1961. Effects of explosive loading on single crystals and polycrystalline aggregates. In Response of metals to high velocity deformation, edited by ShewmonP. G. and ZackayV. F. New York: Interscience. pp. 115–143. , , and
- 1974. Optical absorption of Ni-Fe alloys. Optical Spectroscopy 37:202–203. and
- 1973. Optical properties of nickel-iron alloys in the region of interband transitions. Optical Spectroscopy 35:295–298. , , , and
- 1975. Optical properties of Fe-Cr alloys in the 0.254-17-μm spectral region. Optical Spectroscopy 38:568–570. , , and
- 1970. Mechanical properties of iron meteorites and the structure of their parent planets. Journal of Geophysical Research 75:439–447.
- 1993. Heliocentric zoning of the asteroid belt by aluminum-26 heating. Science 259:653–655. and
- 1986. Bidirectional reflectance spectroscopy. 4. The extinction coefficient and the opposition effect. Icarus 67:264–280.
- 2005. Near-IR spectral evidence for the presence of iron-poor orthopyroxenes on the surfaces of six M-type asteroids. Icarus 175:141–158. , , and
- 2006. Discovering spectral and mineralogical diversity among the M-asteroid population (abstract #1106). 37th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , , , and
- 1991. Protoplanetary thermal metamorphism: The hypothesis of electromagnetic induction by the protosolar wind. In The Sun in time, edited by SonettC. P., GiampapaM. S. and MatthewsM. S. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 710–739. , , and
- 1988. Igneous activity in the early solar system. In Meteorites and the early solar system, edited by KerridgeJ. F. and MatthewsM. S. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 73–101. and
- 1990. A method to determine silicate abundances from reflectance spectra with applications to asteroid 29 Amphitrite associating it with primitive achondrite meteorites. Icarus 88:205–227. and
- 1992. Spectral comparison between olivine-rich asteroids and pallasites. Proceedings, 17th Symposium on Antarctic Meteorites. pp. 53–56. , , , and
- 1993. Modeling of S-type asteroid spectra using primitive achondrites and iron meteorites. Icarus 102:107–116. , , , and
- 1991. Ni and Fe-powders: Grain size effects and compositional influence on the spectral reflectance (abstract). 22nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 279–280. , , and
- 1981. Cracks in metallic meteorites. Journal of Materials Science 16:515–522. and
- 1974. Optical constants of transition metals: Ti, V, Cr, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, and Pd. Physical Review B 9:5056–5070. and
- 1973. Optical properties of carbonaceous chondrites and their relationship to asteroids. Journal of Geophysical Research 78:8507–8518. and
- 1979. The low temperature impact properties of the meteorite Hoba. Journal of Geophysical Research 84:1683–1688. , , and
- 2000. Thermal alteration of asteroids: Evidence from meteorites. Planetary and Space Science 48:887–903.
- 1989. On the surface composition of the M-type asteroids. Icarus 78:395–401. and
- 1999. Mainbelt asteroids: Results of Arecibo and Goldstone radar observations of 37 objects during 1980–1995. Icarus 140:379–407. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2007. A radar survey of main-belt asteroids: Arecibo observations of 55 objects during 1999–2003. Icarus 186:126–151. , , , and
- 1974. The low temperature fracture behavior of iron-nickel meteorites. Meteoritics 9:371–376. and ,
- 1969. Auger fracture surface analysis of a temper embrittled 3340 steel. Transactions of the Metallurgical Society of AIME 245:1664–1666. and
- 1971. Comments on mechanical properties of iron meteorites and the structure of their parent planets. Journal of Geophysical Research 76:2095. and
- 2003. A low-density M-type asteroid in the main belt. Science 300:1929–1942. and
- 1984. On the brittle-ductile behavior of iron meteorites: New experimental constraints. Proceedings, 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. Journal of Geophysical Research Supplement 89:C323–C328. and
- 1993. Genesis of the IIICD iron meteorites: Evidence from silicate-bearing inclusions. Meteoritics 28:552–560. , , , and
- 2006. High velocity impact of metal sphere on thin metallic plates: A comparative smooth particle hypervelocity study. Journal of Computational Physics 212:318–337. and
- 1995. Radar observations of asteroids 7 Iris, 9 Metis, 12 Victoria, 216 Kleopatra, and 654 Zelinda. Icarus 118:105–131. , , , , , , and
- 1998. Non-chondritic meteorites from asteroidal bodies. In Planetary materials, edited by PapikeJ. J. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. Chapter 4. , , , and
- 1987. Diffuse reflectance from 0.25 μm to 25 μm of the Yamato-691 enstatite chondrite. Proceedings, 11th Symposium on Antarctic Meteorites. pp. 123–130.
- 2008. Observations of X/M asteroids across multiple wavelengths. Icarus 195:206–219. , , , , , , , , and
- 1985. Mainbelt asteroids: Dual-polarization radar observations. Science 229:442–446. , , and
- 1991. Asteroid 1986 DA: Radar evidence for a metallic composition. Science 252:1399–1404. , , , , , , and
- 2000. Radar observations of asteroid 216 Kleopatra. Science 288:836–839. , , , , , , , , and
- 1991. Handbook of optical constants of solids II. San Diego: Academic Press. 1096 p.
- 1998. Handbook of optical constants of solids. San Diego: Academic Press. 804 p.
- 1944. The metallography of meteoritic iron. Smithsonian Institution United States National Museum Bulletin 184. Washington, D.C.: US Government Printing Office. 206 p.
- 1980. Modal studies of mesosiderites and related achondrites, including the new mesosiderite ALHA 77219. Proceedings, 11th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 1055–1071. , , , , and
- 2003. SpeX: A medium resolution 0.8-5.5 micron spectrograph and imager for the NASA Infrared Telescope Facility. Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific 155:362–382. , , , , , , , and
- 1975. A preliminary study of the ductile-brittle transition under impact conditions in material from an octahedrite. Journal of Geophysical Research 80:3744–3748. and
- 2008. The near-infrared spectroscopy of two main belt asteroids, 418 Allemania and 504 Cora. M.Sc. thesis, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA.
- 1951. Some quantitative data bearing on the scabbing of metals under explosive attack. Journal of Applied Physics 22:555–560.
- 1995. 3-μm spectrophotometric survey of M- and E-class asteroids. Icarus 117:90–100. , , , , , and
- 2000. The nature of M-class asteroids from 3-μm observations. Icarus 145:351–368. , , , , and
- 1994. Ultraviolet spectra and geometric albedos of 45 asteroids. Icarus 112:496–512. and
- 1986. Properties of the Guin ungrouped iron meteorite: The origin of Guin and of group-IIE irons. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 76:209–226. , , , , , , and
- 1974. Meteorite spectra and weathering. Journal of Geophysical Research 79:4439–4441. and
- 2008. A radar survey of M- and X-class asteroids. Icarus 195:184–205. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2001. Water detection on atmosphereless celestial bodies: Alternative explanations of the observations. Journal of Geophysical Research 106:14,701–14,710.
- 2008. The near-infrared spectroscopy of two M-class main belt asteroids, 77 Frigga and 325 Heidelberga (abstract #1084). 39th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM. , , and
- 1961. Some observations on explosively loaded iron and mild steel. In Response of metals to high velocity deformation, edited by ShewmonP. G. and ZackayV. F. New York: Interscience. pp. 389–407. , , and
- 1989. Asteroid magnitudes, UBV colors, and IRAS albedos and diameters. In Asteroids II, edited by BinzelR. P., GehrelsT. and MatthewsM. S. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 1090–1138.
- 1984. Asteroid taxonomy from cluster analysis of photometry. Ph.D. thesis, University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, USA.
- 1978. Mineral chemistry of metal sulfides. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. 391 p. and
- 1990. Ungrouped iron meteorites in Antarctica: Origin of anomalously high abundance. Science 249:900–902.
- 1990. Photometric geodesy of main-belt asteroids. III. Additional lightcurves. Icarus 86:402–447. , , , , , , , , and
- 1966. Reflectance spectroscopy. New York: Interscience. 298 p. and
- 1965. Optical constants of iron in the visible region. Journal of the Optical Society of America 55:842–844. and
- 1976. Minor planets and related objects. XX. Polarimetric evidence for the albedos and compositions of 94 asteroids. Astronomical Journal 81:262–280. and