Pyroclast loss or retention during explosive volcanism on asteroids: Influence of asteroid size and gas content of melt
Article first published online: 3 NOV 2010
© The Meteoritical Society, 2010
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 45, Issue 8, pages 1284–1301, August 2010
How to Cite
WILSON, L., KEIL, K. and McCOY, T. J. (2010), Pyroclast loss or retention during explosive volcanism on asteroids: Influence of asteroid size and gas content of melt. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 45: 1284–1301. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01085.x
- Issue published online: 19 NOV 2010
- Article first published online: 3 NOV 2010
- (Received 24 May 2010; revision accepted 31 May 2010)
- 1982. Re-evaluation of Millikan’s oil drop data for the motion of small particles in air. Journal of Aerosol Science 6:537–547. and
- 1985. Slip correction measurements of spherical solid aerosol particles in an improved Millikan apparatus. Aerosol Science and Technology 4:269–286. and
- 2002. Asteroid density, porosity, and structure. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F.Jr., CellinoA., PaolicchiP., and BinzelR. P. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 485–500. , , , and
- 2002. Meteorite parent bodies: Their number and identification. In Asteroids III, edited by BottkeW. F.Jr., CellinoA., PaolicchiP., and BinzelR. P. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 653–667. , , , , and
- 1959. Conduction of heat in solids, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press. 510 p. and
- CRC 1972. Handbook of chemistry and physics, 53rd ed. Cleveland, OH: The Chemical Rubber Company. 2335 p.
- 1910. On the velocity of steady fall of spherical particles through fluid medium. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London 83:357–365.
- 1997. Degassing of alkalic basalts. American Mineralogist 82:368–378.
- 2005. Aubrite basalt vitrophyres: The missing basaltic component and high-sulfur silicate melts. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 69:1633–1648.
- 2003. Compositional analyses of lunar pyroclastic deposits. Icarus 161:262–280. , , , , and
- 2002. Capillary and wetting phenomena—Drops, bubbles, pearls, waves. New York: Springer. , , and
- 1986. Exsolution of H2O, CO2, and S during eruptive episodes at Kilauea volcano, Hawaii. Journal of Geophysical Research 91:12,177–12,185.
- 2006. Asteroidal heating and thermal stratification of the asteroid belt. In Meteorites and the early history of the solar system II, edited by LaurettaD. S. and McSweenH. Y.Jr. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 555–566. , , , and
- 1990. The influence of geometry on the ascent of magma in open fissures. Bulletin of Volcanology 52:515–521. and
- 2008. Viscosity of magmatic liquids: A model. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 271:123–134. , , and
- 2007. Fractional melting and smelting on the Ureilite Parent Body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71:2876–2895. , , and
- 1981. The concentration of CO2 in submarine tholeiitic basalts. The Journal of Geology 89:689–701.
- 1992. Near-limit drop deformation and secondary breakup. International Journal of Multiphase Flow 18:635–652. and
- 1979. Fundamentals of rock mechanics, 3rd ed. London: Chapman and Hall. and
- 1995. Tables of physical and chemical constants, 16th ed. London: Longman. 249 p. and
- 1968. Mineralogical and chemical relationships among enstatite chondrites. Journal of Geophysical Research 73:6945–6976.
- 1989. Enstatite meteorites and their parent bodies. Meteoritics 24:195–208.
- 2007. Occurrence and origin of keilite, (Fe>0.5,Mg<0.5)S, in enstatite chondrite impact-melt rocks and impact-melt breccias. Chemie der Erde—Geochemistry 67:37–54.
- Enstatite achondrite meteorites (aubrites) and the histories of their asteroidal parent bodies. Chemie der Erde—Geochemistry, doi:10.1016/j.chemer.2010.02.002. Forthcoming.
- 1993. Explosive volcanism and the compositions of cores of differentiated asteroids. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 117:111–124. and
- 1997. Constraints on the role of impact heating and melting in asteroids. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:349–363. , , , and
- 2009. Explosive volcanic eruptions on Mercury: Eruption conditions, magma volatile content, and implications for interior volatile abundances. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 285:263–271. , , , , , and
- 1982. Dynamics and thermodynmics of volcanic eruptions: Implications for the plumes on Io. In Satellites of Jupiter, edited by MorrisonD. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 647–723.
- 1984. Factors governing the structure of volcanic jets. In Explosive volcanism: Inception, evolution and hazards. Washington, D.C.: National Academy of Science Press. pp. 143–157.
- 1963. The Fe-Ni-S system. Annual Reports of Geophysical Research 67:4055–4061.
- 2006. Pyroclastic volcanism on the aubrite parent body: Evidence from an Fe,Ni-FeS clast in LAR 04316 (abstract). Meteoritics & Planetary Science 41:A119. and
- 1996. A petrologic, chemical, and isotopic study of Monument Draw and comparison with other acapulcoites: Evidence for formation by incipient partial melting. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 60:2681–2708. , , , , , , , , and
- 1997a. A petrologic and isotopic study of lodranites: Evidence for early formation as partial melt residues from heterogeneous precursors. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 61:623–637. , , , , , , and
- 1997b. Partial melting and melt migration in the acapulcoite-lodranite parent body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 61:639–650. , , , and
- 2006. Asteroid differentiation. In Meteorites and the early solar system II, edited by LaurettaD. S. and McSweenH. Y.Jr. Tucson, AZ: The University of Arizona Press. pp. 733–745. , , and
- 1998. Non-chondritic meteorites from asteroidal bodies. In Planetary materials, edited by PapikeJ. J. Reviews in Mineralogy, vol. 36. Washington, D.C.: Mineralogical Society of America. pp. 4-1–4-195. , , , and
- 1992. High-temperature mass spectrometric degassing of enstatite chondrites: Implications for pyroclastic volcanism on the aubrite parent body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 56:4267–4280. , , and
- 1995. Volatiles in unequilibrated ordinary chondrites: Abundances, sources and implications for explosive volcanism on differentiated asteroids. Meteoritics 30:639–645. , , and
- 1984. Parsa: An unequilibrated enstatite chindrite (UEC) with an aubrite-like impact melt clast (abstract). 15th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. pp. 597–598. , , , and
- 1983. Half-life of 26Al. Journal of Geophysical Research 88(Suppl. 1):B331–B333. , , , and
- 2001. Dating eucrite formation and metamorphism. Proceedings of the 26th Symposium on Antarctic Meteorites. pp. 113–115. , , , , and
- 1998. A study of size distribution, ash deposition and fragmentation in a Hawaiian-style volcanic eruption. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 84:197–208.
- 1996. Physical properties of partly melted tholeiitic basalt. Geology 24:1029–1032. and
- 1994. Factors controlling the lengths of channel-fed lava flows. Bulletin of Volcanology 56:108–120. and
- 2003. Tropfendeformation und nachzerfall bei der technischen gemischaufbereitung. Dipl. Ing. Dissertation, University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 1993. Live Iron-60 in the early solar system. Science 259:1138–1142. and
- 1970. The melting of asteroidal-sized parent bodies by unipolar dynamo induction from a primitive T Tauri sun. Astrophysics and Space Science 7:446–488. , , , and
- 1978. The dynamics of bubble formation and growth in magmas: A review and analysis. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 3:1–37.
- 1999. 26Al in eucrite Piplia Kala: Plausible heat source and formation chronology. Science 284:1348–1350. , , and
- 2003. Styles of mantle convection and their influence on planetary evolution. Comptes Rendu Geoscience 335:99–111.
- 2003. The initial abundance of 60Fe in the solar system. The Astrophysical Journal 588:L41–L44. and
- 1992. Core formation in asteroids. Journal of Geophysical Research 97:14717–14726.
- 1997. Impact excavation on asteroid 4 Vesta: Hubble Space Telescope results. Science 277:1492–1495. , , , , , and
- 1955. The cosmic abundances of potassium, uranium and thorium and the heat balances of the Earth, the Moon and Mars. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 41:127–144.
- 1981. Surface tension of natural silicate melts from 1,200–1,500 °C and implications for melt structure. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 76:455–462. and
- 2010. The inevitability of a thick, strongly insulating megaregolith on bodies of order 100-km to Moon-like in size (abstract #2465). 41st Lunar and Planetary Science Conference. CD-ROM.
- 1992. Explosive volcanism and the graphite-oxygen buffer on the parent asteroid(s) of the ureilite meteorites. Icarus 100:110–126. and
- 1999. Ascent and eruption of a lunar high-titanium magma as inferred from the petrology of the 74001/2 drill core. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:527–540. , , , and
- 2009. Temperature-dependent thermal diffusivity of the Earth’s crust and implications for magmatism. Nature 458:319–321. , , and
- 1980. Relationships between pressure, volatile content and ejecta velocity in three types of volcanic explosion. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 8:297–313.
- 1981. Ascent and eruption of basaltic magma on the Earth and Moon. Journal of Geophysical Research 86:2971–3001. and
- 2001. Lava fountains from the 1999 Tvashtar Catena fissure eruption on Io: Implications for dike emplacement mechanisms, eruption rates and crustal structure. Journal of Geophysical Research 106:32997–33004. and
- 2003. Deep generation of magmatic gas on the Moon and implications for pyroclastic eruptions. Geophysical Research Letters 30:1605. and
- 2007. Explosive volcanic eruptions on Mars: Tephra and accretionary lapilli formation, dispersal and recognition in the geologic record. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 163:83–97. and
- 1979. The influence of shape on the settling velocity of volcanic ash particles. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 44:311–324. and
- 1991. Consequences of explosive eruptions on small Solar System bodies: The case of the missing basalts on the aubrite parent body. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 104:505–512. and
- 1996a. Clast sizes of ejecta from explosive eruptions on asteroids: Implications for the fate of the basaltic products of differentiation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 140:191–200. and
- 1996b. Volcanic eruptions and intrusions on the asteroid 4 Vesta. Journal of Geophysical Research 101:18927–18940. and
- 1997. The fate of pyroclasts produced in explosive eruptions on the asteroid 4 Vesta. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 32:813–823. and
- 2008. Thermal evolution and physics of melt extraction on the Ureilite Parent Body. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 72:6154–6176. , , and
- 1998. Comments on evaluation of 26Al electron capture and positron decay data. CEA/LNHB—Table de Radionucléides. Saclay, Gif-sur-Yvette, France: LNE-LNHB, CEA. and