The preservation of fossil biomarkers during meteorite impact events: Experimental evidence from biomarker-rich projectiles and target rocks
Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2010
© The Meteoritical Society, 2010
Meteoritics & Planetary Science
Volume 45, Issue 8, pages 1340–1358, August 2010
How to Cite
PARNELL, J., BOWDEN, S., LINDGREN, P., BURCHELL, M., MILNER, D., PRICE, M., BALDWIN, E. C. and CRAWFORD, I. A. (2010), The preservation of fossil biomarkers during meteorite impact events: Experimental evidence from biomarker-rich projectiles and target rocks. Meteoritics & Planetary Science, 45: 1340–1358. doi: 10.1111/j.1945-5100.2010.01100.x
- Issue online: 19 NOV 2010
- Version of Record online: 3 NOV 2010
- (Received 29 October 2007; revision accepted 29 June 2010)
- 1995. Shock wave data for rocks. In AGU Reference Shelf 3: Rock physics and phase relations, A handbook of physical constants, edited by AhrensT. J. Washington, D.C.: American Geophysical Union. pp. 35–44. and
- 1988. Standard chemical thermodynamic properties of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and their isomer groups 1. Benzene series. Journal of Physical and Chemical Reference Data 17:241–253. and
- 1989. Pre-biotic organic matter from comets and asteroids. Nature 342:255–257.
- 2002. Rummaging through Earth’s attic for remains of ancient life. Icarus 160:183–196. , , and
- 2004. Launch of Martian meteorites in oblique impacts. Icarus 171:84–101. and
- 2007. Laboratory impacts into dry and wet sandstone with and without an overlying water layer: Implications for scaling laws and projectile survivability. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 42:1906–1914. , , , and
- 1999. Pyrolysis of simple amino acids and nucleobases survivability limits and implications for extraterrestrial delivery. Planetary and Space Science 47:577–584. and
- 2001. Survivability of biomolecules during extraterrestrial delivery: New results on pyrolysis of amino acids and poly-amino acids. Advances in Space Research 27:231–236. and
- 2001. Experimental shock chemistry of aqueous amino acid solutions and the cometary delivery of prebiotic compounds. Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 31:15–51. , , , and
- 2008. The thermal alteration by pyrolysis of the organic component of small projectiles of mudrock during capture at hypervelocity. Journal of Analytical and Applied Pyrolysis 82:312–314. , , , , , , , and
- 2009. Survival of organic compounds in ejecta from hypervelocity impacts on ice. International Journal of Astrobiology 8:19–25. , , and
- 1998. A search for extraterrestrial amino acids in carbonaceous Antarctic micrometeorites. Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 28:413–424. , , , , and
- 2006. Comet Wild 2 under a microscope. Science 314:1711–1716. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2004. Panspermia today. International Journal of Astrobiology 3:73–80.
- 1998. Hypervelocity impact experiments on solid CO2 targets. Icarus 131:210–222. , , , and
- 1999. Hypervelocity impact studies using the 2 MV Van de Graaff accelerator and two-stage light gas gun of the University of Kent. Measurement Science & Technology 40:41–50. , , , and
- 2001. Survivability of bacteria in hypervelocity impact. Icarus 154:545–547. , , , and
- 2004. Survival of bacteria and spores under extreme pressures. Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society 352:1273–1278. , , and
- 2010. The SMART-1 lunar impact. Icarus 207:28–38. , , and
- 1992. Endogenous production, exogenous delivery and impact-shock synthesis of organic molecules: An inventory for the origins of life. Nature 355:125–132. and
- 1998. Observations of indigenous polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in “giant” carbonaceous Antarctic micrometeorites. Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 28:425–448. , , , , , , and
- 2006. The astrobiological case for renewed robotic and human exploration of the Moon. International Journal of Astrobiology 5:191–197.
- 2008. On the survivability and detectability of terrestrial meteorites on the Moon. Astrobiology 8:242–252. , , , , and
- 2005. Finding a second sample of life on Earth. Astrobiology 5:154–163. and
- 1975. Devonian lacustrine limestones at the margin of the Orcadian Basin, Scotland. Journal of the Geological Society, London 131:489–510.
- 1988. Palaeolimnology and organic geochemistry of the Middle Devonian in the Orcadian Basin. Geological Society, London, Special Publication 40:173–201. and
- 2005. Bacillus subtilis spores on artificial meteorites survive hypervelocity atmospheric entry: Implications for lithopanspermia. Astrobiology 5:726–736. , , , and
- 1996. The delivery of organic matter from asteroids and comets to the early surface of Mars. Earth, Moon, and Planets 72:469–474.
- 1986. Organic molecules released from olivine by impact fracture. Origins of Life and Evolution of the Biosphere 16:291–292. , , , , and
- 2005. Ejection of Martian meteorites. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 40:1393–1411. , , and
- 1999. The fusion crusts of stony meteorites: Implications for the atmospheric reprocessing of extraterrestrial materials. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:341–356. and
- 2004. Re-examination of amino acids in Antarctic micrometeorites. Advances in Space Research 33:106–113. , , and
- 1981. Fluxes of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to marine and lacustrine sediments in the northeastern United States. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 45:2359–2367. and
- 1983. The distribution of cyclic alkanes in two lacustrine deposits. In Advances in organic geochemistry 1981, edited by BjorøyM. London: Wiley. pp. 576–587. and
- 1997. Cylindrical symmetric SPH simulations of hypervelocity impacts on thin plates. International Journal of Impact Engineering 20:337–348. and
- 2002. Martian meteorite launch: High-speed ejecta from small craters. Science 298:1752–1756. , , and
- 2003. A hydrothermal system associated with the Siljan impact structure, Sweden—Implications for the search for fossil life on Mars. Astrobiology 3:271–289. , , and
- 2001. Bacterial spores survive simulated meteorite impact. Icarus 149:285–290. , , , and
- 1990. Lacustrine organic facies. A biomarker study using multivariate statistical analysis. Organic Geochemistry 16:197–210. and
- 1994. Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in the polar ice of Greenland. Geochemical uses of these atmospheric tracers. Atmospheric Environment 28:1139–1145. , , and
- 1976. Shock processes in porous quartzite: Transmission electron microscope observations and theory. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 59:41–93. , , and
- 2002. Unmelted meteoritic debris collected from Eltanin ejecta in Polarstern cores from expedition ANT XII/4. Deep-Sea Research. Part II 49:1063–1071.
- 1978. Handbook on mechanical properties of rocks, vol. 2. Clausthal, Germany: Trans Tech Publications. 481 p. and
- 1993. Target porosity effects in impact cratering and collisional disruption. Icarus 105:216–224. , , and
- 1988. Impact frustration of the origin of life. Nature 331:612–614. and
- 2006. Discovery of a 25-cm asteroid clast in the giant Morokweng impact crater, South Africa. Nature 441:203–206. , , , , , , , , , , and
- 2003a. Molecular synthesis in hypervelocity impact plasmas on the primitive Earth and in interstellar clouds. Geophysical Research Letters 30, doi:10.1029/2002GL016422.1247. , , and
- 2003b. Possible synthesis of organic molecular ions in plasmas similar to those generated in hypervelocity impacts. International Journal of Impact Engineering 29:449–458. , , and
- 1997. Organic synthesis in experimental impact shocks. Science 276:390–392. and
- 1988. A rocky road to Panspermia. Nature 332:687–688.
- 1989. Impact cratering: A geologic process. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- 2000. Natural transfer of viable microbes in space: 1. From Mars to Earth and Earth to Mars. Icarus 145:391–427. , , , , , , , , , and
- 2006. Oceanic hypervelocity impact events: A viable mechanism for successful panspermia? International Journal of Astrobiology 5:261–267. , , , and
- 1990. New scaling laws on impact fragmentation. Icarus 87:307–326. , , and
- 1989. Origin of precursors of organic molecules during evaporation of meteorites and mafic terrestrial rocks. Nature 340:46–48. , , and
- 2008. Experimental impact shock chemistry on planetary icy satellites. Icarus 194:822–835. , , , and
- 2006. Survival of reactive carbon through meteorite impact melting. Geology 34:1029–1032. and
- 1998. Timing and temperature of decollement on hydrocarbon source rock beds in cyclic lacustrine successions. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 140:121–134. , , and
- 2007. Organic geochemistry of impactites from the Haughton impact structure, Devon Island, Nunavut, Canada. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 71:1800–1819. , , , , , , and
- 1989. Origin of Beatrice oil by co-sourcing from Devonian and Middle Jurassic source rocks, Inner Moray Firth, United Kingdom. AAPG Bulletin 73:454–471. , , , and
- 2005. The biomarker guide, 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. , , and
- 1997. Modification of amino acids at shock pressures of 3.5 to 32 GPa. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 61:3937–3950. , , and
- 1999. Amino acid survival in large cometary impacts. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 34:909–918. and
- 2002. Cometary delivery of biogenic elements to Europa. Icarus 157:120–127. and
- 2000a. Understanding oblique impacts from experiments, observations, and modeling. Annual Review of Earth and Planetary Sciences 28:141–167. and
- 2000b. Hydrocode modelling of oblique impacts: The fate of the projectile. Meteoritics & Planetary Science 35:117–130. and
- 1988. Application of aromatic compounds as maturity indicators in source rocks and crude oils. Marine and Petroleum Geology 5:224–236.
- 1982. Geochemical study on a well in the Western Canada Basin: Relation of the aromatic distribution pattern to maturity of organic matter. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 46:1–10. , , and
- 1999. Deformation of rock in the explosion of a cylindrical charge in a coaxial cavity filled with liquid. International Applied Mechanics 33:295–300.
- 2008. Terrestrial analysis of the organic component of comet dust. Annual Review of Analytical Chemistry 1:18.1–18.30.
- 2006. Organics captured from comet 81P/Wild 2 by the Stardust spacecraft. Science 314:1720–1724. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and
- 1975. Temperature gradients in meteorites produced by heating during atmospheric passage. Modern Geology 5:155–164.
- 2005. Recognizing life in the solar system: Guidance from meteoritic organic matter. International Journal of Astrobiology 4:269–276. and
- 2007. Experimental evidence for the potential impact ejection of viable microorganisms from Mars and Mars-like planets. Icarus 186:585–588. , , , , , , , , , and
- 1995. The geochemical evolution of the continental crust. Reviews of Geophysics 33:241–265. and
- 1976. Correlation of the Achanarras and Sandwick fish beds, Middle Old Red Sandstone, Scotland. Scottish Journal of Geology 12:205–208.
- 1986. Palaeoecology and sedimentology of the Achanarras fish bed of the Middle Old Red Sandstone, Scotland. Transactions of the Royal Society of Edinburgh 77:21–46.
- 1990. Biomarker maturity parameters for high maturities: Calibration of the working range up to the oil/condensate threshold. Organic Geochemistry 16:1025–1032.
- 2004. A review and evaluation of specific heat capacities of rocks, minerals and subsurface fluids. Part 1: Minerals and nonporous rocks. Natural Resources Research 13:97–122. and
- 2003. Reseeding of early Earth by impacts of returning ejecta during the later heavy bombardment. Icarus 162:38–46. , , and
- 2008. Numerical modelling of impact melt production in porous rocks. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 269:530–539. , , and